Salesmen :banghead:

1depd

To give the short story, I'm still looking for a truck after it was discovered the one I ordered would be too small for the wife and kid. I did the online thing and sent the message to a dealership. I sent a follow up e-mail with the details I thought the salesman needed. Included in the e-mail was a statement I thought was very clear. "The best and easiest way to contact me is by e-mail." So what does this schmuck do? Call me. Of course the answering machine got it. Until he decides to contact me by e-mail with either a request for more information or the information I requested, he's done.

Why can't sales people understand when a person says this is the best and easiest way to contact me, they mean it?

To give the short story, I'm still looking for a truck after it was discovered the one I ordered would be too small for the wife and kid. I did the online thing and sent the message to a dealership. I sent a follow up e-mail with the details I thought the salesman needed. Included in the e-mail was a statement I thought was very clear. "The best and easiest way to contact me is by e-mail." So what does this schmuck do? Call me. Of course the answering machine got it. Until he decides to contact me by e-mail with either a request for more information or the information I requested, he's done.

Why can't sales people understand when a person says this is the best and easiest way to contact me, they mean it?

That's why I always give a bogus phone number. If I wanted to talk to them on the phone, I would call them myself! :banghead:

• 4 weeks later...

It looked to me like the secretary at the dealership I use "managed" the e-mail for the sales team. She'd print out each incoming message, hand it to the appropriate guy. He would generally call me cuz he didn't want to have to transcribe a message back through the secretary. Either the owner of the dealership is worried about the guys surfing p0rn in their down time, or he's too cheap to spring for a few cheap computers for the guys to use themselves. Time to jump into the 21st century!

• 4 weeks later...

I did the online thing to ask a dealership the price on a truck.

They emailed me to come take a test drive.

No price on the truck I asked about.

No word on whether they still had it or not.

I ignored their gracious offer to show up and be sold to and went to a

different dealership.

On a slightly different salesman comment, I have emailed my salesman 3 times to get my VIN.

Today I called. Someone else answered. My salesman doesn't work there anymore.

This guy took my info and had my VIN plus more info back to me within 15 minutes.

I now have the PDF of my window sticker.

Back when I ordered my truck in March, the salesman was good about answering my emails and getting the information to me as I requested it.

Now the rest of the story:

After the truck was delivered, I accepted delivery with the condition that they install the integrated TBC that was originally ordered to be installed at the factory. I still wanted it and they agreed to install it at dealer cost. For some reason it was not installed on the truck at the factory. So, I waited about a month and called to get an oil change and find out about the TBC. When I called and asked for my salesman, I found out that he no longer worked there. But I was immediately connected to and got good service from other personnel at the dealership. I was scheduled the next day for an oil change and TBC install.

The bad part: When I went for my appointment and ready to settle the bill, they tried to charge me $284 for the TBC install. I showed them the paperwork stating the install was at dealer cost and ended up paying $191. Was not happy that they tried to pull a fast one on me and told them so. She said the price should have been written on the agreement. Not my problem as I told her it was written on there to be at dealer cost and I knew what the dealer cost on the invoice was.

FWIW, I have bought many new Fords for my wife and myself since 1975. they were mostly from the same dealership that has had many owners throughout its history.

This time I bought from a different dealer at a much better price and he has been the owner for 33 years. On the day I was taking delivery of my new truck, the owner actually came out and asked how my wife and I were being treated. I have never had this happen to me.

There is good and bad in all dealerships. In my experience, you just have to watch that they don't try to pull a fast one on you.

ilmo--I had a similar experience with my bed liner. Before anybody gets froggy I know Line-X or Rhino is better, but I live in a human wasteland and those options aren't readily available.

I ordered the truck with a factory bed liner. Changed trucks mid-stream to one that did not have the bed liner in it. I started checking prices and got a quote from the sales manager of ~$300 in an e-mail, I think. It was $25 more expensive than a no name local installer, so I went with the dealer option. When it came time to pick up the truck I was told the cost of the spray in is ~$480. I told the salesman the manager quoted me ~$300 and if I had to pay the higher price I would just go with the local guy. I also told him it price quote was in an e-mail that I could bring in if he needed. That wasn't necessary and he gave me the bed liner at the quoted price.

I also bought the truck using x-plan as a shareholder. The salesman was the only person who knew a lot about the program (no Ford partners in the area), but was mistaken in the fact that I had to own over $10k in shares to qualify. I received very good service after he was advised I was a shareholder.

Edited by 1depd

My dealer is great. The Internet Sales Manager handles all email inquiries, providing his Internet Price and all details needed (via email if requested).

I figure it's a dealer by dealer issue, as I've experienced the same with other dealer (call instead of email back).