Train union strike?

jdvaughn

FRANKFURT -(Dow Jones)- German train driver union Gewerkschaft Deutscher Lokomotivfuehrer, or GDL, said Wednesday it has called on train drivers of private passenger railway operators and the freight transport company Osthannoversche Eisenbahnen AG to hold a 47-hour strike starting Thursday at 0100 GMT.

nasdaq article

Sounds like someone is taking a snippet of news to try to whip up more anti-union sentiment. If there was a strike against rail and train operators in the US, it would have been all over the news.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else heard that there is a train union strike holding up the shipment of new vehicles to dealers? I heard this on another forum and wanted to see if anyone could confirm this.

Haven't heard anything yet as of today. I hope not because I'm expecting delivery of my new F-150 in a couple of weeks.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20110413/VIDEO/304139739/1219 autonews has a story about a shortage of rail cars slowing down shipment of Dodge Rams and Ford F150's and other . Seems snow combined with rail cutbacks during the recession and a surging demand for rail capacity now has left the rail companies unable to supply the necessary amount of capacity - not enough rail cars to carry the trucks.

Not the train operators, but the trucking company trying to screw the OTR drivers by slashing their wages by 20% and Teamsters responding by threatening a strike. During the informational pickets though, there were several union train company employees that honored the picket and refused to cross the picket line....chalk this up to Allied Trucking.....

link

• Like 1

Allied did not strike

Hoffa called for a strike and the contract issue was settled before anyone walked

I have a cousin that works for the railroad he was layed off during the reccession and when he got called back they was so backlogged it was unreal

Bad weather increased demand for rail do to rising fuel prices its cheaper to piggy back than fill a rig and pulling unused cars out of railyards takes time unused cars need maintenance

Railway workers are not covered by the NLRA there covered by the RLA makes it almost impossible Railway Workers to strike

Allied did not strike

Hoffa called for a strike and the contract issue was settled before anyone walked

I have a cousin that works for the railroad he was layed off during the reccession and when he got called back they was so backlogged it was unreal

Bad weather increased demand for rail do to rising fuel prices its cheaper to piggy back than fill a rig and pulling unused cars out of railyards takes time unused cars need maintenance

Railway workers are not covered by the NLRA there covered by the RLA makes it almost impossible Railway Workers to strike

Thanks f150oderus for the info. I guess my dealer was BS- ing me.

Thanks f150oderus for the info. I guess my dealer was BS- ing me.

If theres a delay in devlivery of your new Edge its not because of a Allied trucking strike

I can only speak for KCAP

Part shortages have delayed some deliveries of Escape suv and F-150

Thank You for buying a Ford hopefully it will be sitting in your driveway very soon :happy feet:

• Like 1

I was told by my dealer it wont hold anything up for Ford. Up in the Yukon only Ford is really getting delivered and the Chev, GM and Toyota dealers are not getting many trucks in maybe 1 shipment a month compared to Ford getting 1 shipment a week

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else heard that there is a train union strike holding up the shipment of new vehicles to dealers? I heard this on another forum and wanted to see if anyone could confirm this.

It's called a work slow down, My 2012 hit the rail yard in Portland on a Sunday and it took them a week to unload. I was told by a friend that works at the yard and the Union boss said things need to slow down. My friend when told this was floored when hearing that.