Standard Fuel Tank

chunjin

I am looking for clairification on the size (gallons) of the "standard fuel tank" on the 2011 F150 FX4 S-Crew. My dealer has said the the standard for the 4x4 is 36 gallons but he has proven to be a little off on his details sometimes.

Thanks!

THe standard fuel tank on the FX4, at least with the EB and SCrew with 5.5' bed, is the 26 gallon tank.

That is what I thought but my dealer assured me that standard was the 36 gallon...which is what I specified....kind of a bummer.

Thanks but dont you think that my salesperson should know that? (retorical question) I saw the 36 on an FX4 on the lot but it was the 5.0 not the EB.

You would think. Seeing how their paychecks rely on this type of info. I'm a professional at another career and still know more than most sales people. If I were a car salesman, I'd make damn sure I knew all the ends and outs of every car I sell. It's only 15 or so vehicles.

You would think. Seeing how their paychecks rely on this type of info. I'm a professional at another career and still know more than most sales people. If I were a car salesman, I'd make damn sure I knew all the ends and outs of every car I sell. It's only 15 or so vehicles.

I could not agree with you more!!

I think all 4x4 models get the 36 gallon tank except for the Ecoboost (No one can explain why)

That could explain why I saw the 36 gallon tank on 3 different 4x4's on the dealers lot and none of the trucks were EB. Thanks for the info.

I've heard a couple things related to the 36 gallon tank with the Ecoboost, not sure which is really true, so take this for what it's worth (not much)

1: Dealer I was dealing with: "Fleet orders only" - don't think this is right

2: Second hand from another dealer: "Different Exhaust interferes with the larger tank on the Ecoboost" - Plausible, not sure if it's true though

3: A Quote from a Ford Engineer at the Ecoboost Teardown mentioned that the larger tank would be available in the Ecoboost (Not sure of timeframe though).

4. Response to the above info at a later point in time from Ford: "We have no current plans to offer the larger tank in the Ecoboost"

I guess that just muddies the water more....

One one of these forums someone swapped a 36 gallon tank from a wrecked 2010 model into his 2011 Ecoboost - fit just fine, absolutely no problems with the swap.

Good to hear. I'll see if I can find the thread, as it's something I'd look into myself. I think the bigger trick would be making sure the fuel gauge and distance till empty still worked.

Thanks but dont you think that my salesperson should know that? (retorical question) I saw the 36 on an FX4 on the lot but it was the 5.0 not the EB.

I would talk to your dealer again. Let him tell you the incorrect info again. Ask him if he's sure (and he will say yes since Salesmen know everything). Then tell him you'll expect "X" accessory from the dealer if he is wrong. Maybe you can get a bed mat or something out of his ignorance. I would try it.

This is interesting cause I was under the impression that all the 5.0L 4x4 CrewCab's came w/ the 36 gallon fuel tank. But it looks like the FX4 I just ordered will be coming with a 26 gallon fuel tank. I am very disappointed that it's not coming with a 36 gallon tank. It's not even an option w/ the FX4 package. If anyone has a FX4 crew cab w/ a 36 gallon tank please post.

Thanks -

I would talk to your dealer again. Let him tell you the incorrect info again. Ask him if he's sure (and he will say yes since Salesmen know everything). Then tell him you'll expect "X" accessory from the dealer if he is wrong. Maybe you can get a bed mat or something out of his ignorance. I would try it.

Believe me that I have already been thinking about that! I had asked him to double check and he said that it was standard on my vehicle so I need to stop worrying about it....

This is interesting cause I was under the impression that all the 5.0L 4x4 CrewCab's came w/ the 36 gallon fuel tank. But it looks like the FX4 I just ordered will be coming with a 26 gallon fuel tank. I am very disappointed that it's not coming with a 36 gallon tank. It's not even an option w/ the FX4 package. If anyone has a FX4 crew cab w/ a 36 gallon tank please post.

Thanks -

The 5.0 FX4 comes with a 36 gallon tank standard.

I believe the dealer can reprogram your instrument panel cluster to reflect having a 36 gallon fuel tank if you swap it out - its listed as a configurable option on the workshop manual, but it doesn't really make clear if it can be switched or not.

The thing is if you TOW with the eco boost, you might only have 260-300 miles between fillups depending on your trailer design.

Even less. pickuptrucks.com just finished their towing test and got 190 miles or so out of a tank. They thought they would get further and had to pull over to add 2 gallonsto make it to their original stop.

Even less. pickuptrucks.com just finished their towing test and got 190 miles or so out of a tank. They thought they would get further and had to pull over to add 2 gallonsto make it to their original stop.

Granted, they were towing a 9000lb enclosed in the rockies, but still....

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/04/road-test-review-2011-ford-f-150-fx2-35-liter-ecoboost-v-6-part-1.html