Towing with a 2010+ Taurus

NLPRacing

The Ford towing guide rates the Taurus as a Class I with a rating of only up to 1000 pounds. With the Taurus being D3 based like the Flex & Explorer, why such a low rating? Not that it needs to have F150 like towing, but a Class II or III rating up to say 3500 pounds or so would be nice. A little higher rating would make it good for towing things like boats, pop-up campers and small utility trailers for the occasional trip to neighborhood home improvement center. The aftermarket makes a Class III 2" receiver for it (which is the one I would get for accessories like a bike rack). I was just wondering if anybody "in the know" could explain why they are keeping the Taurus low when we know the chassis is capable of more.

The Ford towing guide rates the Taurus as a Class I with a rating of only up to 1000 pounds. With the Taurus being D3 based like the Flex & Explorer, why such a low rating? Not that it needs to have F150 like towing, but a Class II or III rating up to say 3500 pounds or so would be nice. A little higher rating would make it good for towing things like boats, pop-up campers and small utility trailers for the occasional trip to neighborhood home improvement center. The aftermarket makes a Class III 2" receiver for it (which is the one I would get for accessories like a bike rack). I was just wondering if anybody "in the know" could explain why they are keeping the Taurus low when we know the chassis is capable of more.

Few things I could think of:

1) Suspension tuning: softer suspension in the sedan won't support the extra weight for towing

2) Brakes: not up to the task of stopping the extra load

3) Engine Cooling: maybe they don't have as much built in?

4) Haven't the Flex and Explorer been generally "beefed up" in areas to support the extra towing?

I know what you are thinking: Replace your truck with a SHO and tow your boat with it? :)

I would love to have a SHO, but can't afford one as my daily driver. :(

Edited by fordmantpw

Few things I could think of:

1) Suspension tuning: softer suspension in the sedan won't support the extra weight for towing

2) Brakes: not up to the task of stopping the extra load

3) Engine Cooling: maybe they don't have as much built in?

4) Haven't the Flex and Explorer been generally "beefed up" in areas to support the extra towing?

I know what you are thinking: Replace your truck with a SHO and tow your boat with it? :)

I would love to have a SHO, but can't afford one as my daily driver. :(

You can see right thru me, huh? LOL I'm still torn on what to get next, but I will have about a year to figure it out.

1) Suspension? I could see that. Maybe the PI's suspension is more "beefed" up to handle all the "cop" stuff in the trunk. Maybe that would help.

2) That's probably it more than anything, but also an easy fix. Just slap some Explorer or Flex brakes on it.

3) It would definitely need some auxiliary engine oil & transmission fluid cooling. Again, I bet this could be lifted from the Explorer's trailer tow package.

4) If that's true, than there's not much they could I guess. But maybe a "trailer tow" package using some of the PI's & Explorer's parts could get it up to say 3000 pounds or so.

I imagine a "trailer tow" package for a Taurus or any sedan for that matter probably wouldn't be a big seller and that's probably more the reason than any to not offer one. But if all the parts are available in the same plant, why not offer it? Wouldn't that make a great commercial, a SHO rolling down the interstate pulling a ski boat... :)

Something like this:

car-and-boat.jpg

Edited by NLPRacing

You can see right thru me, huh? LOL I'm still torn on what to get next, but I will have about a year to figure it out.

1) Suspension? I could see that. Maybe the PI's suspension is more "beefed" up to handle all the "cop" stuff in the trunk. Maybe that would help.

2) That's probably it more than anything, but also an easy fix. Just slap some Explorer or Flex brakes on it.

3) It would definitely need some auxiliary engine oil & transmission fluid cooling. Again, I bet this could be lifted from the Explorer's trailer tow package.

4) If that's true, than there's not much they could I guess. But maybe a "trailer tow" package using some of the PI's & Explorer's parts could get it up to say 3000 pounds or so.

I imagine a "trailer tow" package for a Taurus or any sedan for that matter probably wouldn't be a big seller and that's probably more the reason than any to not offer one. But if all the parts are available in the same plant, why not offer it? Wouldn't that make a great commercial, a SHO rolling down the interstate pulling a ski boat... :)

Something like this:

Most of them do seem like easy fixes, but I agree, probably not a big seller. Now, if gas prices continue to rise, maybe it would be? Buy a Taurus and utility trailer instead of a pickup?? Hmmm, may fit a lot of the Home Depot use buyers of pickups.

That commercial would be even better, if at the end, on the way home from the water, they show the SHO unhooking the boat trailer to take a few hot laps on the track! :)

Did you sell your truck?

Edited by fordmantpw

Most of them do seem like easy fixes, but I agree, probably not a big seller. Now, if gas prices continue to rise, maybe it would be? Buy a Taurus and utility trailer instead of a pickup?? Hmmm, may fit a lot of the Home Depot use buyers of pickups.

That commercial would be even better, if at the end, on the way home from the water, they show the SHO unhooking the boat trailer to take a few hot laps on the track! :)

Did you sell your truck?

Not yet. Lots of interest, but nobody has shown me the money yet. I'm in no hurry and if I don't get what I want for it, I'll just keep it and give it to my son in a few years. If I dropped the price a $1000 or two, it would of sold immediately. But, I'm not interested in giving it away.