98 Lincoln Computer problem??

I bought the 98 Lincoln Towncar new and it has 188K miles on it now. Last week, I made a 15 minute run and on the way home the engine would not rev and could not get past about 30 MPH with full throttle. The Temp guage showed maxed out hot. When I got home, I raised the hood and the engine was not hot. Does this sound like the main computer going out? The catalytic converter problem would not have shown a false hot on the temp gauge, Right? Any help appreciated. Ken.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the 98 Lincoln Towncar new and it has 188K miles on it now. Last week, I made a 15 minute run and on the way home the engine would not rev and could not get past about 30 MPH with full throttle. The Temp guage showed maxed out hot. When I got home, I raised the hood and the engine was not hot. Does this sound like the main computer going out? The catalytic converter problem would not have shown a false hot on the temp gauge, Right? Any help appreciated. Ken.

There several things that can cause this. Check the things like mentioned in previous replies. Does this vehicle miss fire at any time like up hill or under accell? Sometimes a bad coil can cause a radio frequency interference and screw up the computers signals.

Also, the 98 model should have the ability to go into a cylinder head protection mode like cadillacs northstar. Making it run like crap and only on 4 cylinders at a time. Thats probably why it would not go over 30mph.

Headgaskets weren't a issue with the 4.6 as far as coolant goes. Some had oil seepage, but won't cause this concern. Lincoln LS were the worlds worst about bad coils causing crazy problems.

Also, check the obvious stiff like low coolant, leaking coolant, such as cracked intake.

If all that seems ok, you may have to get the coils stress tested. Which I know the dealer can do it, not sure about other shops. Its putting each coil on a scope and look at the wave pattern. Don't forget trapped air in engine block can cause this also.

• 11 months later...

My 2001 Lincoln TC overheated a few times, I never let the needle raise all the way to high, once it went past normal I would shut it off. So I didn't notice any power loss.

What I did was went and got a coolant flush and blew my radiator off with compressed air, I had a ton of bugs and debris on my rad. Since then everythings been fine, I now have 212k on the clock I did the flush at about 200k.