Customer point of view: sold order priority and allocation

t4rest

I ordered a 2011 Explorer Limited back on April 11. On April 19 I amended the order to add Tow to it. Everything is fine with the order, have a DORA. The date of ordering may have been late but the Dealership here in small-town-Texas only had one(1) Explorer XLT, even to this day there was only one “ONE” at the Dealership. I waited until the Dallas Auto Show, April 7-10, to even get inside one. I also compared it to it's competitors and decided on the Explorer. Monday, April 11 we tried to purchase one from our Dealership but because the Dealership had no Explorers and none to trade we had to order one under the X-plan. Driving to Dallas is a planned trip, so just driving there and purchasing an Explorer isn't really an option. Now, a month later, I have nothing to show nor does the Dealership. Yes, I know the Explorer is an in-demand car, but please be realistic. This allotment type of arrangement is LUDICROUS. Why are stock, UNSOLD, Explorers and ONLY at large Dallas Dealerships arriving ahead of a SOLD car at a small Dealership?

Why can't I give my Dealership (F52471) in my town my business? Why is a guaranteed sale (#1132), at a small Dealership, treated as a second class citizen? Is there a conspiracy to put small Dealerships out of business? Should I have ordered the exact same Explorer from every Dealership in the area including Dallas and wait to see who gets it first then cancel all the other order? Rather a STUPID way to get a car, but, it looks like that's the only way to getting one in a reasonable amount of time. I feel sorry for the Dealerships that would spent their time and effort to please a customer, only to find out that their Dealership really isn't all that important to Ford.

I know I'm going to get an ear full from everyone but at least I'm saying something about how a real customers feels from outside the large cities. Unfortunately, Ford knows that my only two options are wait or plan a whole day trying to purchase an Explorer in Dallas. Great Customer Focus, NOT!

I ordered a 2011 Explorer Limited back on April 11. On April 19 I amended the order to add Tow to it. Everything is fine with the order, have a DORA. The date of ordering may have been late but the Dealership here in small-town-Texas only had one(1) Explorer XLT, even to this day there was only one "ONE" at the Dealership. I waited until the Dallas Auto Show, April 7-10, to even get inside one. I also compared it to it's competitors and decided on the Explorer. Monday, April 11 we tried to purchase one from our Dealership but because the Dealership had no Explorers and none to trade we had to order one under the X-plan. Driving to Dallas is a planned trip, so just driving there and purchasing an Explorer isn't really an option. Now, a month later, I have nothing to show nor does the Dealership. Yes, I know the Explorer is an in-demand car, but please be realistic. This allotment type of arrangement is LUDICROUS. Why are stock, UNSOLD, Explorers and ONLY at large Dallas Dealerships arriving ahead of a SOLD car at a small Dealership?

Why can't I give my Dealership (F52471) in my town my business? Why is a guaranteed sale (#1132), at a small Dealership, treated as a second class citizen? Is there a conspiracy to put small Dealerships out of business? Should I have ordered the exact same Explorer from every Dealership in the area including Dallas and wait to see who gets it first then cancel all the other order? Rather a STUPID way to get a car, but, it looks like that's the only way to getting one in a reasonable amount of time. I feel sorry for the Dealerships that would spent their time and effort to please a customer, only to find out that their Dealership really isn't all that important to Ford.

I know I'm going to get an ear full from everyone but at least I'm saying something about how a real customers feels from outside the large cities. Unfortunately, Ford knows that my only two options are wait or plan a whole day trying to purchase an Explorer in Dallas. Great Customer Focus, NOT!

I'm going through a similar scenario with a Mustang.

Ford has a program for this - it's called Retail Order Verification and it was used with the launch of the Fusion Hybrid in 09. All retail (sold) orders were built asap and did not count against that dealer's stock allocation. It's also been used in a few other cases. I think it should be standard. There must be a reason that it isn't. Ford is in a tough position with dealers - trying to keep them all happy while still operating within the state franchise laws. Also keep in mind there could be other behind the scenes reasons why your order hasn't been scheduled yet that the dealer isn't telling you. E.g. - was your order put in as a retail order or stock order? That affects the priority and allocation. How many other vehicles have lower priorities? Does the dealership owe Ford money? No way to really know at this point.

The same thing happens with iPhones, iPads and any hot selling product. The difference is Ford hasn't had any hot selling products like the 2011 Explorer and Focus in quite a while.

Pete

You were the one that got me started on this letter. I don't want to wait only to find out that I am slao out of luck and looking for a GMC Acadia. The two week difference isn't much.

akirby

Yes, because I orderd a Limited I believe that that may a possibility. Most Explorer's that I have seen lately are XLT's but there has been a few Limited too. My order was/is listed as X-plan, I don't see anything else one the order that states "retail/stock" There was only one other Explorer that was ordered from my Dealer and it was special order too. My order had a priority of 19. The Salesman I deal with is very honest, straight forward and has been there for the last 12 years. It's also not the first car I've bought from him. I've also PM'ed a Ford Customer Service Rep on another forum for information. All I get is that is is acurate and is in the system waiting to be scheduled. NO help there.

Pete

You were the one that got me started on this letter. I don't want to wait only to find out that I am slao out of luck and looking for a GMC Acadia. The two week difference isn't much.

akirby

Yes, because I orderd a Limited I believe that that may a possibility. Most Explorer's that I have seen lately are XLT's but there has been a few Limited too. My order was/is listed as X-plan, I don't see anything else one the order that states "retail/stock" There was only one other Explorer that was ordered from my Dealer and it was special order too. My order had a priority of 19. The Salesman I deal with is very honest, straight forward and has been there for the last 12 years. It's also not the first car I've bought from him. I've also PM'ed a Ford Customer Service Rep on another forum for information. All I get is that is is acurate and is in the system waiting to be scheduled. NO help there.

A priority of 19 is a retail order (stock orders start at 20). Like I said, retail order verification would fix the allocation issue but there can also be material holds and shipping delays.

A priority of 19 is a retail order (stock orders start at 20). Like I said, retail order verification would fix the allocation issue but there can also be material holds and shipping delays.

akirby,

Thanks on the priority info. My salesman did say that he had done everything he could to move the order along quickly, and it looks like he was correct. I'll be checking in with him after work Thursday. I'll hoping that this week is the week it gets scheduled. It would be GREAT it there was a "retail order verification" to speed things along but, the powers-to-be decided elsewise. How it would be great if I got a Fathers Day present, A NEW CAR.

akirby,

Thanks on the priority info. My salesman did say that he had done everything he could to move the order along quickly, and it looks like he was correct. I'll be checking in with him after work Thursday. I'll hoping that this week is the week it gets scheduled. It would be GREAT it there was a "retail order verification" to speed things along but, the powers-to-be decided elsewise. How it would be great if I got a Fathers Day present, A NEW CAR.

Well, technically 19 is the WORST priority for a retail order. They could have given you a 11 or 12 priority. Of course that doesn't matter unless there were other retail orders from the same dealer with lower priorities.

Good luck anyway.

I ordered a 2011 Explorer Limited back on April 11. On April 19 I amended the order to add Tow to it. Everything is fine with the order, have a DORA. The date of ordering may have been late but the Dealership here in small-town-Texas only had one(1) Explorer XLT, even to this day there was only one ONE at the Dealership. I waited until the Dallas Auto Show, April 7-10, to even get inside one. I also compared it to it's competitors and decided on the Explorer. Monday, April 11 we tried to purchase one from our Dealership but because the Dealership had no Explorers and none to trade we had to order one under the X-plan. Driving to Dallas is a planned trip, so just driving there and purchasing an Explorer isn't really an option. Now, a month later, I have nothing to show nor does the Dealership. Yes, I know the Explorer is an in-demand car, but please be realistic. This allotment type of arrangement is LUDICROUS. Why are stock, UNSOLD, Explorers and ONLY at large Dallas Dealerships arriving ahead of a SOLD car at a small Dealership?

:Edited for my lack of reading comprehension:

Edited by Marginal Economist

I ordered a 2011 Explorer Limited back on April 11. On April 19 I amended the order to add Tow to it. Everything is fine with the order, have a DORA. The date of ordering may have been late but the Dealership here in small-town-Texas only had one(1) Explorer XLT, even to this day there was only one “ONE” at the Dealership. I waited until the Dallas Auto Show, April 7-10, to even get inside one. I also compared it to it's competitors and decided on the Explorer. Monday, April 11 we tried to purchase one from our Dealership but because the Dealership had no Explorers and none to trade we had to order one under the X-plan. Driving to Dallas is a planned trip, so just driving there and purchasing an Explorer isn't really an option. Now, a month later, I have nothing to show nor does the Dealership. Yes, I know the Explorer is an in-demand car, but please be realistic. This allotment type of arrangement is LUDICROUS. Why are stock, UNSOLD, Explorers and ONLY at large Dallas Dealerships arriving ahead of a SOLD car at a small Dealership?

Sometimes issues are dealership issues and not Ford issues. If your order soes not schedule this week and they can't tell you when they will have allocation for you, I'd call a dealer in Dallas. Dallas is only an hour from Mabank.

Sometimes issues are dealership issues and not Ford issues. If your order soes not schedule this week and they can't tell you when they will have allocation for you, I'd call a dealer in Dallas. Dallas is only an hour from Mabank.

Explorer is currently scheduling week 20 allocation. Your dealership has allocation for week 21 and week 22. Your order should schedule next Thursday at this point.

Explorer is currently scheduling week 20 allocation. Your dealership has allocation for week 21 and week 22. Your order should schedule next Thursday at this point.

Marginal Economist,

I can only hope your right. Thanks anyway.

Like my wife keeps telling me: "RELAX!, we don't need the car today." But it is killing me to wait.

As a customer I believe Ford has the whole concept to getting vehicles to customers all wrong. The allotment concept has its advantages but sticking to it when there are special orders is totally inadequate and ridiculous.

Working in a field where I have the same sort of problem lends me to believe that Ford has carried out the allotment concept to far. Here we have the planned items coming in on schedule and several months in advance with exits dates set. There are always emergency items that come in several times a month that MUST be returned ASAP and take precedence over the scheduled items. We manage to handle both with minimal impart to the scheduled items and return the emergency items remarkably quickly. There is a built in emergency opening once a week that does not affect the normal scheduled items. If more the one emergency shows up then the scheduled items are delayed NOT the emergency item. Because the scheduled items are scheduled well in advance we are able to make-up the time lost by the emergency items. Our customers rarely have a delayed item, but if delayed it is only one to two days. Our customers know that their scheduled item may be delayed because of an emergency item. The next emergency item may be theirs and they want it immediately so they understand and believe we are doing the best for everyone.

Now, if Ford assumed that there would be special orders(emergencies) and scheduled them in as so, then I believe that everyone would be happy. The allotments would be scheduled as normal and the special orders sliding in at an interval of every forth or so. Dealerships would get their allotment in a timely manner and the special orders would also get a quick turn-around. No dealership big or small would be able to affect the special orders, the orders would be slid in as to the date ordered with the buyers name and drivers license attached, this would prevent dealers from cheating the system. SIMPLE

In my case, I will have lost 6-7 weeks waiting for my dealership to have an allotment, assuming "Marginal Economist" is correct. If a person in were to order a vehicle from my dealership today their order would be scheduled the same week as mine. The wait time is DAYS for their order to be scheduled. That is CRAZY! All because of allotments I have to wait. Totally unacceptable. Ordering from a small dealership even acerbates the lunacy. Now, because of the lost 6-7 weeks, our family vacation is in jeopardy. Add 4 weeks to build a ship and that puts it arriving around July 4, (12 weeks). I hope a 600 mile nonstop trip for two straight days is a good break-in for the vehicle. Should it delayed more that a day, it'll be two more weeks before I can take delivery and 3400 miles added to my present vehicle. 12 weeks for a guarantied sale, LUDICROUS!!

Another of my biggest concern as a customer is "COMMICATIONS". Tell me upfront, with two day, when the build week will accrue. I'm willing to wait if I know what to expect. If I don't then I start looking elsewhere for a new vehicle. This would eliminate all the rumors and speculation and Ford would

t4rest

I agree. Ford would be wise to put customer orders (sold units) in front of scheduled stock units. Regardless of allocation/ dealer size/ dealer location. Anything else does not make sense, at least to customers.

Isn't it customers that keep them in business??

Edited by Pete

There is a separate allocation for retail orders. What Marginal Economist is trying to tell you is if it took that long for your dealership to get your retail order scheduled then they either failed to put in the order, put it in wrong or they have some problem where Ford is withholding their vehicles (e.g. they abused the ordering process by marking stock orders as retail orders to get them built more quickly). Or there was a material hold.

As a customer I believe Ford has the whole concept to getting vehicles to customers all wrong. The allotment concept has its advantages but sticking to it when there are special orders is totally inadequate and ridiculous.

Working in a field where I have the same sort of problem lends me to believe that Ford has carried out the allotment concept to far. Here we have the planned items coming in on schedule and several months in advance with exits dates set. There are always emergency items that come in several times a month that MUST be returned ASAP and take precedence over the scheduled items. We manage to handle both with minimal impart to the scheduled items and return the emergency items remarkably quickly. There is a built in emergency opening once a week that does not affect the normal scheduled items. If more the one emergency shows up then the scheduled items are delayed NOT the emergency item. Because the scheduled items are scheduled well in advance we are able to make-up the time lost by the emergency items. Our customers rarely have a delayed item, but if delayed it is only one to two days. Our customers know that their scheduled item may be delayed because of an emergency item. The next emergency item may be theirs and they want it immediately so they understand and believe we are doing the best for everyone.

Now, if Ford assumed that there would be special orders(emergencies) and scheduled them in as so, then I believe that everyone would be happy. The allotments would be scheduled as normal and the special orders sliding in at an interval of every forth or so. Dealerships would get their allotment in a timely manner and the special orders would also get a quick turn-around. No dealership big or small would be able to affect the special orders, the orders would be slid in as to the date ordered with the buyers name and drivers license attached, this would prevent dealers from cheating the system. SIMPLE

In my case, I will have lost 6-7 weeks waiting for my dealership to have an allotment, assuming "Marginal Economist" is correct. If a person in were to order a vehicle from my dealership today their order would be scheduled the same week as mine. The wait time is DAYS for their order to be scheduled. That is CRAZY! All because of allotments I have to wait. Totally unacceptable. Ordering from a small dealership even acerbates the lunacy. Now, because of the lost 6-7 weeks, our family vacation is in jeopardy. Add 4 weeks to build a ship and that puts it arriving around July 4, (12 weeks). I hope a 600 mile nonstop trip for two straight days is a good break-in for the vehicle. Should it delayed more that a day, it'll be two more weeks before I can take delivery and 3400 miles added to my present vehicle. 12 weeks for a guarantied sale, LUDICROUS!!

Another of my biggest concern as a customer is "COMMICATIONS". Tell me upfront, with two day, when the build week will accrue. I'm willing to wait if I know what to expect. If I don't then I start looking elsewhere for a new vehicle. This would eliminate all the rumors and speculation and Ford would

:ETA - Nevermind - You are right:

There is a separate allocation for retail orders. What Marginal Economist is trying to tell you is if it took that long for your dealership to get your retail order scheduled then they either failed to put in the order, put it in wrong or they have some problem where Ford is withholding their vehicles (e.g. they abused the ordering process by marking stock orders as retail orders to get them built more quickly). Or there was a material hold.

Communications is where Ford fails miserably. I have contacted Ford directly(call), sent Private Messages to a Ford Customer Service (Forum) person and my dealership every Thursday afternoon for four week now. NOT ONE said there was a material hold or any hold of any kind on my order. Everyone also said that my order is accurate and inputted correctly and I have the confirmations for the original date 4/11/2011 and the amendment 4/19/2011. So stating that my Dealership was in error is not correct or that Ford Customer Services representatives either don't know how to look-up an order or don't understand it or simply lie to me, doesn't make sense either. The Ford Customers Service person I have PMed from the Forum has been very helpful with many people so it isn't them.

I believe that the allotment system is the SOLE fault. One cheap computer program or Ford has incompetent programmers. Now Ford is to cheap to correct the program instead we all pay.

t4rest - There is a Silver FWD 302A package with the Light Stone interior and BLIS System like your order heading to Plano as a stock unit. Five Star Ford - (972) 985-3600. The last 8 of the VIN is BGA64683 - It is currently at a railyard in Mesquite. I'd give them a call and see if they will take your X Plan. I understand it is probably 90 minutes from your current dealership.

The issues you are having are more dealerhsip related than Ford related. A white limited Explorer was ordered by your dealership 10 days after your order was placed - Customer 1137. It was built this past Tuesday. It would have been your truck that built had the dealership used priority codes correctly. This is a dealership issue. If your order was shipping from Chicago this week I do not think you would have started this thread or joined this forum.

If the dealership does not take any more retail orders before Wednesday, your order will pull on Thursday and be assigned a VIN.

Best of luck.

Communications is where Ford fails miserably. I have contacted Ford directly(call), sent Private Messages to a Ford Customer Service (Forum) person and my dealership every Thursday afternoon for four week now. NOT ONE said there was a material hold or any hold of any kind on my order. Everyone also said that my order is accurate and inputted correctly and I have the confirmations for the original date 4/11/2011 and the amendment 4/19/2011. So stating that my Dealership was in error is not correct or that Ford Customer Services representatives either don't know how to look-up an order or don't understand it or simply lie to me, doesn't make sense either. The Ford Customers Service person I have PMed from the Forum has been very helpful with many people so it isn't them.

I believe that the allotment system is the SOLE fault. One cheap computer program or Ford has incompetent programmers. Now Ford is to cheap to correct the program instead we all pay.

Again, this is 100% incorrect. View my post above. Have a great day.

t4rest - There is a Silver FWD 302A package with the Light Stone interior and BLIS System like your order heading to Plano as a stock unit. Five Star Ford - (972) 985-3600. The last 8 of the VIN is BGA64683 - It is currently at a railyard in Mesquite. I'd give them a call and see if they will take your X Plan. I understand it is probably 90 minutes from your current dealership.

The issues you are having are more dealerhsip related than Ford related. A white limited Explorer was ordered by your dealership 10 days after your order was placed - Customer 1137. It was built this past Tuesday. It would have been your truck that built had the dealership used priority codes correctly. This is a dealership issue. If your order was shipping from Chicago this week I do not think you would have started this thread or joined this forum.

If the dealership does not take any more retail orders before Wednesday, your order will pull on Thursday and be assigned a VIN.

Best of luck.

Again, Thank you very much.

I'll talk to my dealership tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'll also look into the one at Five Star. I have seen one at that Dealership awhile back. The one I saw didn't have the tow package but I'll double check. Thanks for the lead.

I have been told by my personal boss(Wife) to RELAX again. I'll do it this time. I'm done ranting.

Marginal Economist,

Now that I have proved that I am a blithering idiot, I need your insight and from the information you have given I known that you are not just a regular member of this forum, you have access and knowledge far beyond then norm.

Based off the order that my dealership inputted as a priority 19, what is the lowest the dealership can input a priority? I thought I read somewhere that the lowest they can set a priority is 11. I also read that the priority only applies to the dealerships order sequence, in which order the vehicles are ordered from Ford? Question 2, if an order such as mine was 10 days before the second shouldn't mine have been scheduled Thursday before the second was inputted? Or do allotments play a factor or did my dealership mislead me again(lie to me)?

Thank you for your professionalism

Marginal Economist,

Now that I have proved that I am a blithering idiot, I need your insight and from the information you have given I known that you are not just a regular member of this forum, you have access and knowledge far beyond then norm.

Based off the order that my dealership inputted as a priority 19, what is the lowest the dealership can input a priority? I thought I read somewhere that the lowest they can set a priority is 11. I also read that the priority only applies to the dealerships order sequence, in which order the vehicles are ordered from Ford? Question 2, if an order such as mine was 10 days before the second shouldn't mine have been scheduled Thursday before the second was inputted? Or do allotments play a factor or did my dealership mislead me again(lie to me)?

Thank you for your professionalism

The lowest a dealership can prioritize an order is to a 10. The only time priority matters is when the dealership has multiple orders and how they relate to each other. So if your order is at 19, and is the only retail in the system when their allocation pulls, your order will get pulled. If the dealership puts every retails order in at 19, or 10, or any other number, then it is chance on which will get pulled. Ford encourages dealerships to "layer the bank" - place your most important order or oldest at 10, then followed by 11,12,13 and so forth. This allows the dealership to control the order that the vehicles get picked.

2nd part - The delaership does only get X amount of allocation per month. They had 1 unit for May production, 2 units for June production. The May unit wasn't going to schedule until the last week of April. Allocation definetly does play a factor. By the time the Explorer was ready to pull, there were 2 orders the system could pull.

The retail sweep system tries to get allocation to all dealers as quickly as possible, but there is still up to a 4 week delay. The dealership likely would not have had any allocation for June but for the two retail orders in April.

I don't think your dealership tried to do wrong by you. They placed both orders in at 19. Most dealers place both orders in at 10 and end up in the same scenario. Your order should schedule this week and you should have a VIN by Friday. I'm hesitant to share any of this info as I don't want you to be mad at your dealership. But I don't want you to miss out on an Explorer based on a bad dealership experience. The good news is I'm sure they'll try to make everything right for you going forward.

Sorry if I'm rambling, it is a bit late.

:Edit to correct blatant misspellings:

There is no separate allocation for retail orders. A Dealer's allocation for a vehicle line applies to all orders regardless of the order type.