Explorer or Mountaineer

Is there any difference in the two vehicles ? anyone have any info good or bad versus the two ? I am looking to upgrade the wifes Explorer and before I buy just would like a little info from owners of Mountaineers

Can't speak of the current generation, but I've had a Mountaineer. Looked at the Explorer of that year as well. They both have their unique style, with the Mountaineer having more features standard.

I agree as it pertains to my '97 Mountaineer (148K miles and still runs great, but I think that I need a new rack)..I looked at both and choose the Mountaineer mostly because the trim was upgraded compared to the Explorer and I especially liked that the seats were high back and wide...

Is there any difference in the two vehicles ? anyone have any info good or bad versus the two ? I am looking to upgrade the wifes Explorer and before I buy just would like a little info from owners of Mountaineers

More recent models of the Mountaineer are AWD, where as the Explorer are 4 wheel drive. Explorer you can go 2wheel or 4. Mountaineer has an all time 4 wheel system that will transfer power when slipping.

Generally speaking, most Mercury's come with many options standard, where as the Explorer, they are optional.

What strikes me funny is a fully loaded Mountaineer Premier 4x2 (~$38,500) costs less that a fully loaded Explorer Limited 4x2 (~$41,500)... go figure.

It was exactly that way when I replaced my '99 Explorer Limited with an '03 Mountaineer in Sept of '02. That's why we bot the Mteer instead of the Explorer. My guess is that Ford is trying to throw a bone to L/M dealers in that there are no "low end" Mteers...Ford gets that business. So this skews the high end business to L/M.

:bandance:

Well, I bought a Mountaineer Premier 4x2 w/Navigation this afternoon. After finding this one with all of the features I wanted, I pulled the trigger.

I really want to thank everyone at Louisville Assembly for the outstanding work they did. The attention to detail is really impressive.

In addition all of the bling, my "MtR" came with power retracting running boards. They are a hoot and gives the body a very clean look when they're tucked away. I understand this option will be offered on the 2007 Explorer. Definitely worth it, IMO.

The only thing that strikes me odd, however, is the name - Mountaineer. With it's clear taillights, waterfall grill and aluminum trim both inside and out, this vehicle is far more "Metropolitan" than it's rugged name implies.

Edited by fllcobra

:bandance:

Well, I bought a Mountaineer Premier 4x2 w/Navigation this afternoon. After finding this one with all of the features I wanted, I pulled the trigger.

I really want to thank everyone at Louisville Assembly for the outstanding work they did. The attention to detail is really impressive.

In addition all of the bling, my "MtR" came with power retracting running boards. They are a hoot and gives the body a very clean look when they're tucked away. I understand this option will be offered on the 2007 Explorer. Definitely worth it, IMO.

The only thing that strikes me odd, however, is the name - Mountaineer. With it's clear taillights, waterfall grill and aluminum trim both inside and out, this vehicle is far more "Metropolitan" than it's rugged name implies.

Congratulations! You are driving the state of the art mid-size SUV in world...Enjoy!

Cal, do you work at Loisville? I found the build sheet and am now wondering if the X-Plan PIN you gave me helped me buy a vehicle you built? Small world.

My girlfriend just loves this vehicle. She had no idea Ford made such a good looking ride. My reply to her? "I told you so."

Cal, do you work at Loisville? I found the build sheet and am now wondering if the X-Plan PIN you gave me helped me buy a vehicle you built? Small world.

My girlfriend just loves this vehicle. She had no idea Ford made such a good looking ride. My reply to her? "I told you so."

Yes I do. I work in the paint shop. If you don't mind, I might pass along some of your comments on our plant message board.

http://scottrlap.proboards75.com/index.cgi