Sustainability

Here is a U of M study about "End of Life Vehicle" or Producer Responsibility that will affect us here in the US sooner or later:

http://css.snre.umich.edu/css_doc/CSS01-01.pdf Pretty soon you'll be able to return it when you're done driving it. Too bad - some of the locals will have to find alternate forms of flower pots - maybe old boats will find a use.

Also in the spirit of sustainability is Ford's use of recycled materials. Some new Ford Focus's will feature the equivalent of two pairs of used jeans in the interior and for insulation. Let me see ....based on my daughters clothing bills this amounts to what, a $500 option?

"Recycled clothing isn’t just for the thrift store anymore. Starting early next year, the Ford Motor Company will release the next-generation Focus featuring used denim in the seats, carpet backing, and as sound-absorption materials for interior quietness.

The amount of post-consumer cotton from blue jeans used in each vehicle comes out to roughly two pairs of average-sized American jeans, based on pounds of cotton used per yard of denim and the yards of denim used to make a pair of jeans."

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/2012-ford-focus-will-have-recycled-denim-seats.html

Finally, you may have heard that Henry Ford made running boards out of the packing crates of incoming material. That is disputed in the post here (http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/79903.html?1233059301), but it makes a good recycling story. Anybody have proof one way or the other?

i do not see any reason to recycle cotton..we grow that,,so ford is looking to put cotton farmers out of business?..thats what the cotton lobby is going to be thinking and all ford needs is to torque of the cotton belt farmers (lotta new chebbys be seen in the fields),,i can see recycling old tennis shoes for rubber grommets and the like, recycle glass and news print,,,stuff along those lines,,but cotton makes no sense when we grow that every year,,heck even news printr is sustainable as they log an area and then plant new trees...me thinks ford needs to work on getting mpg up and not worry about cotton recycling...greenie stupidity here and i hope ford can see how stupid this policy would be..i know i know..gubment greenie nazis are and will be behind this

ps....:i wont be turning in any of my cardboard license plates from the war years..if needed and all hell breaks out i will feed them plates to the neighbors goats...

Edited by snooter

i do not see any reason to recycle cotton..we grow that,,so ford is looking to put cotton farmers out of business?..thats what the cotton lobby is going to be thinking and all ford needs is to torque of the cotton belt farmers (lotta new chebbys be seen in the fields),,i can see recycling old tennis shoes for rubber grommets and the like, recycle glass and news print,,,stuff along those lines,,but cotton makes no sense when we grow that every year,,

Yeah, I'm sure cotton farmers are PETRIFIED about cotton recycling! sos.gif

As recycling technology improves, more and more commodities will be recyclable at price points that will make them competitive with virgin materials. It's just the free market.

i do not see any reason to recycle cotton..we grow that,,so ford is looking to put cotton farmers out of business?..thats what the cotton lobby is going to be thinking and all ford needs is to torque of the cotton belt farmers (lotta new chebbys be seen in the fields),,i can see recycling old tennis shoes for rubber grommets and the like, recycle glass and news print,,,stuff along those lines,,but cotton makes no sense when we grow that every year,,heck even news printr is sustainable as they log an area and then plant new trees...me thinks ford needs to work on getting mpg up and not worry about cotton recycling...greenie stupidity here and i hope ford can see how stupid this policy would be..i know i know..gubment greenie nazis are and will be behind this

Why not recycle anything that is recyclable?

If the cotton farmers can't make enough $$$ growing cotton, they can grow food. And as Noah said, I'm sure the farmers aren't all that worried...

• Like 1

Or we can just add them to the roles of those paid to farm nothing...

I've seen a lot of credit (and blame) given to farm subsidies for keeping food prices low, especially for the corn that goes into a lot of processed foods. It would be interesting to see how the market would adjust to the removal of those subsidies. Many theoreticize that higher corn prices would lead to the consumption of less processed and artifically sweetened foods (which would be good for the general public's health).

But with so many states in the corn belt.... Senators and Representatives represent their state/district, not the country as a whole, so we're stuck with the policies that result from that.

EU issued a directive that makes car makers responsible for recycling, up to 85% of ELV's (End of Life Vehicles content by weight) must be recycled by 2006 and 95% by 2015.

Ford overcome the problem by issuing a License Permit to Car Dismantlers if they wanted to continue stocking Ford cars at its scrap yards, Ford charged the "Scrappie" about $6 per car for the privilege of scrapping & recycling its cars, so they could continue on selling on second hand component parts to folk like me as part of the recycling process. So Ford make money from recycling cars, but they have to audit, and are responsible for issuing permits to its network of approved Ford car dismantlers in Europe.

Us old Classic Ford owners are some of the greenest folk on the planet we reuse old part, fix repair rather than just throw it away. The manufacturing process that goes into of making a new car is more wasteful causes more damage to the environment than keeping an old car going, unless of course your plant is like Ford's engine plant at Dagenham 100% wind powered, recycles everything like machining fluids so it gets used again at almost zero cost to Ford, it paid for itself ages ago ten times over.

09ECC120223281AC.jpeg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds