MyFordTouch Problems in 2012 Focus

jllewis

According to an Edge owner with an insider friend it's a complete rewrite and it will be out in 1Q2012. The first update will be backwards compatible and may or may not be DIY at home using the USB stick, but after that all updates will be user applied - no more dealer visits. I think this is what they expected from the first version but they got screwed by BSQUARE.

Yeah, at this point that is my main hope.

When it's working, it's great (A bit slow, but forgivable), but when it's acting up.. it's more of a danger while driving than anything else. Trying to get it to call someone via "hands free", and not recognizing any of the contacts.. having to repair/redownload the phonebook.. sigh.

It's so night and day to my 2010 Fusion (Regular SYNC), which was rock solid when it came to SYNC. I guess I took the simplicity for granted :D

According to an Edge owner with an insider friend it's a complete rewrite and it will be out in 1Q2012. The first update will be backwards compatible and may or may not be DIY at home using the USB stick, but after that all updates will be user applied - no more dealer visits. I think this is what they expected from the first version but they got screwed by BSQUARE.

Is bsqaure writing the new version?

Is bsqaure writing the new version?

Absolutely not. They learned their lesson. They're doing it in-house with assistance from the real Microsoft. (BSquare is a consulting company started by former Microsoft employees - which explains a lot if you think about it. :) )

Absolutely not. They learned their lesson. They're doing it in-house with assistance from the real Microsoft. (BSquare is a consulting company started by former Microsoft employees - which explains a lot if you think about it. :) )

So did Ford write the initial Sync voice interface in-house and then turned to bsqaure when the wanted to pair it with a visual/touch interface?

Edited by bkoester

Yeah the SYNC badge says "Powered by Microsoft", so I imagine they did a lot of work with the original. The MFT integration with SYNC is the downfall. Sigh.

Actually that's because they use a microsoft operating system. The sync/MFT app is all Ford's including the older sync only systems.

I had mine updated and it's still buggy. Does the engine have to be running when they do the 2+ hour update? The reason I ask is my mpg was @ 38.8 after the update it was @ 34.5.

Yes, that is my understanding. My mileage dropped significantly when I had my update. It's probably so the radio/MFT system stays on and active throughout the install. Instead of returning to the car to turn the key every 9 minutes, they leave it running and check to see if the install had completed and the tech can do other repairs during the install.

Edited by transitman

I suppose it was only a matter of time. I had been pretty satisfied with MFT up until this morning at start-up when, without warning, the display and all functionality were completely black and dead. I shut down and restarted. Nothing. Drove almost all the way to work and stopped at Starbucks thinking a few minutes parked might do the trick. Nada. The screen doesn't even display the usual pre-ignition illumination when opening the driver's door. I'm thinking it's a fuse. But really? Seriously? You gotta be freakin' kidding me. :banghead:

I don't have time for this :censored:

I suppose it was only a matter of time. I had been pretty satisfied with MFT up until this morning at start-up when, without warning, the display and all functionality were completely black and dead. I shut down and restarted. Nothing. Drove almost all the way to work and stopped at Starbucks thinking a few minutes parked might do the trick. Nada. The screen doesn't even display the usual pre-ignition illumination when opening the driver's door. I'm thinking it's a fuse. But really? Seriously? You gotta be freakin' kidding me. :banghead:

I don't have time for this :censored:

I had the same issue. Ended up at my dealership for 1 1/2 hours. To reboot the system, they disconnected the battery. This only happend once in 4100 miles. I'm waiting for the system rewrite before I do anything. The rewrite, I hear, is the first quarter 2012. Otherwise, we love our Focus.

I had the same issue. Ended up at my dealership for 1 1/2 hours. To reboot the system, they disconnected the battery. This only happend once in 4100 miles. I'm waiting for the system rewrite before I do anything. The rewrite, I hear, is the first quarter 2012. Otherwise, we love our Focus.

Thanks for the info. I checked the OM and the same fuse is used for the hazard light switch and door lock switch as the radio, nav, and touch screen. Since the hazard and door lock switches are functioning properly I assume it's not the fuse that's the problem. I could disconnect the battery myself but I suppose I'll have the dealer do it just so it's on record as another PITA problem Ford should be aware of.

Sure enough, the battery disconnect did the trick. It reset Trip 1&2 info to zero and I had to reprogram some sound system preferences but everything else seems to have held tight including my phone pairing. My SA confirmed we can update MFT during my first service visit (which at my rate won't be until early next year) and FWIW he thinks there may be a trans reflash in the works.

...and now this morning the auto up/down feature on both front windows is not working. The rear windows work just fine. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

There's a procedure in the manual you have to follow to get those working again. I don't remember what that procedure is, but it was fairly easy to find when I went through this before (MFT did the same thing to me prior to the upgrade--not since, and hopefully it will stay that way).

...and now this morning the auto up/down feature on both front windows is not working. The rear windows work just fine. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Try this:

1. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed, then release

the switch.

2. Lift the switch again for one more second.

3. Press and hold the switch until the window is fully open, then release

the switch.

4. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed.

5. Open the window and try to close it automatically.

6. Reset and repeat procedure if the window does not close

automatically.

Edited by transitman

There's a procedure in the manual you have to follow to get those working again. I don't remember what that procedure is, but it was fairly easy to find when I went through this before (MFT did the same thing to me prior to the upgrade--not since, and hopefully it will stay that way).

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out. I never anticipated this condition - seems like it would be a hardwired feature - so I was unpleasantly surprised when I got to the parking lot gate this morning.

Edit: Well, that worked. Windows are functioning properly again. Note to whoever wrote the OM, the procedure should be listed as "Resetting the one-touch up or down feature" instead of or in addition to "Resetting the bounce-back feature". I'd have never looked under "Bounce back" to troubleshoot this issue. Thank goodness for helpful forum members.

Edited by mrgdr57

My mom is buying a 2012 Focus tomorrow. Some of the ones we will look at have MFT. Should she stear clear of MFT?

This is what I have narrowed it down to:

SE Sport Package with Sirius - (no MFT on SE of course)

SEL with MFT, Sony and Sirius.

SEL with regular radio, no MFT, no Sirius

Which would you recommend?

I like the SEL but you have to get MFT in order to get Sirius.

I'd go for the SEL w/MFT if she really wants Sirius and won't be overwhelmed with the MFT interface. Any remaining problems should be fixed early next year with a complete MFT rewrite so I wouldn't be too worried.

I agree. My MFT system is better after 2.11, and even with the remaining annoyances, I love the functionality, and look forward to the fully rewritten version. Then again, I'm a tech geek.

Anyone having problems with Sirius Travel Link? I am verified as fully subscribed to all services and up until recently - post battery disconnect to reset MFT? - I had no problems with real time updates for traffic, weather, sports, fuel prices, etc. Currently, I get traffic conditions and nothing else. No weather, no fuel prices etc. On the main Travel Link menu all features other than the two traffic functions have hourglasses next to them. Sirius says check with Ford. <sigh>