Radio not shut off - with key off, out of ign, door open

Q - anyone else experience this ? Doesn't give me a good feeling that I bought the right car -- too much technology that can go wrong, leave me stranded.

New 2011 Explorer XLT with 8" display - only one day old and the center display froze in Radio mode, display went out - went blank, turned off the ignition, took key out, radio continued to play. Opened driver's door -- radio would not turn off -- pushed radio On/Off button -- still would not turn off -- started vehicle again -- no display on 8" -- radio still playing -- turned off ignition -- took key out, radio continued to play. Opened driver's door -- radio would not turn off -- pushed radio On/Off button -- still would not turn off -- started vehicle again - OVER AND OVER for well over 15 minutes ... all of a sudden with ignition on -- system came back up and said it was downloading updates (or something to that affect) -- works fine now. Thought I was gonna have to pull the battery cable --

On my 2011 EX LTD I had a similar issue this weekend. Trying to use the navigation feature via voice. Entire system froze. Digital clock readout didn't change (same time readout for over 1hr.) Radio shut off and wouldn't turn on even trying the controls on steering wheel or the regular (non-screen) controls. I pulled off highway, turned car off -- screen didn't turn off. Opened the driver door--screen didn't turn off. Finally after I reached my destination, I turned off car, got out and alarmed car with key fob. That solved the issue. When I turned car back on 1hr. later, everything was fine.

The interesting thing is, the night before it automatically did some type of update. The message updating with a status bar was on the screen for about 1 minute.

Edited by snappsny

Mine did the same thing this weekend. Everything froze up for 10 - 15 minutes. This is the second time it has happened and I've owned the vehicle 2 months. I just wish it would display updtaing data with XX minutes ot go. Mentioned issue to dealer and they said they've never heard of it...

If it needs to do an update once a month, I wish it would let me choose the time. When this happened the first time we were in Kansas City close to our destination when everything froze. Spent 15 minutes on the side of the road trying to figure out what was wrong. Now that was inconvienent and dangerous!

Does anyone know how often we will encounter these updates?

Mine did the same thing this weekend. Everything froze up for 10 - 15 minutes. This is the second time it has happened and I've owned the vehicle 2 months. I just wish it would display updtaing data with XX minutes ot go. Mentioned issue to dealer and they said they've never heard of it...

If it needs to do an update once a month, I wish it would let me choose the time. When this happened the first time we were in Kansas City close to our destination when everything froze. Spent 15 minutes on the side of the road trying to figure out what was wrong. Now that was inconvienent and dangerous!

Does anyone know how often we will encounter these updates?

Are you sure it's "updating" something? I can't think of anything it would need to update or where it would get the update. The only thing reported is a reboot that says "performing system maintenance".

Are you sure it's "updating" something? I can't think of anything it would need to update or where it would get the update. The only thing reported is a reboot that says "performing system maintenance".

Yeah, it's not updating anything. The system doesn't recieve updates over the air. This is a system crash and reboot sequence. I had mine do it one time since I've owned it (still on v.2.4 too) because it wasn't playing nice with my iPhone 4. If your patient and just let it do its thing, it'll come back up on its own without much issue. Really no need to pull over on the road and mess with it.

Yeah, it's not updating anything. The system doesn't recieve updates over the air. This is a system crash and reboot sequence. I had mine do it one time since I've owned it (still on v.2.4 too) because it wasn't playing nice with my iPhone 4. If your patient and just let it do its thing, it'll come back up on its own without much issue. Really no need to pull over on the road and mess with it.

I agree most of the time it isn't an issue, but it has happened to me at the most inopertune time. I've had this vehicle since June 10th and it has (as you say) crashed twice on me. What the hell is going to happen when the system starts filling up with addresses, previous destinations, phone book data, etc? And I haven't even plugged my 500 Gb harddrive full of music and books yet...

Iv'e never had this much trouble with the Nav/Sync/Radio in my '09 Expedition.