Snyder Recall effort

UAW-Wife

I was just wondering if you UAW members are signing Snyder recall petitions. If not, you should since he's targeting ALL unions. Teachers are first and every other union is on his list. If you haven't signed yet, PLEASE consider finding an event near you and go sign. Hopefully the UAW also has copies of the petition. Article about how he's coming after all unions:

http://annarborlaw.org/2011/07/07/rick-snyder-continues-on-his-destructive-path/

• Like 2

I was just wondering if you UAW members are signing Snyder recall petitions. If not, you should since he's targeting ALL unions. Teachers are first and every other union is on his list. If you haven't signed yet, PLEASE consider finding an event near you and go sign. Hopefully the UAW also has copies of the petition. Article about how he's coming after all unions:

http://annarborlaw.org/2011/07/07/rick-snyder-continues-on-his-destructive-path/

Teachers unions funded by state tax dollars.

UAW funded from sale of retail product dollars.

The UAW rank & file swallowed cuts and give backs when profits were down. Cry me a river if the teachers are asked to do the same. If their collective bargaining rights are made the same as existing federal employees I do not see any federal workers lining up for pickets or recall rally's.

• Like 3

The UAW rank & file swallowed cuts and give backs when profits were down. Cry me a river if the teachers are asked to do the same. If their collective bargaining rights are made the same as existing federal employees I do not see any federal workers lining up for pickets or recall rally's.

Are you that naive, to think he doesn't want to destroy all the unions. The republicans agenda is to destroy any and every union they can. Who funds what has nothing to do with collective bargaining rights.

• Like 3

Ok, first of all cal, I am NOT a teacher. I just support the people who have MY children for 6-7 hours a day and teach MY children the things they know to succeed in life--things I am not trained to teach them. Everyone who is against teachers should have to educate their own children for one year and then pass the state tests. If you don't, there will monetary penalties you must pay. Wouldn't you rather have your tax dollars go towards having qualified teachers teaching YOUR children? Being UAW members and knowing how people attack your wages and livelihood on regular basis, I can't believe any of you would attack another union and how they make their living. And the other poster is correct: Republicans want ALL unions abolished and will eventually succeed if people like you let them. Have fun in a few years when your union is gone and you are making $10 in the plant. And I have news for you: all companies are asking for concessions in all industries, not just the bubble of the auto industry. You have free health insurance, whereas everyone else has to pay, and raises and bonuses have been cut everywhere. So everyone is making concessions, wake up.

Edited by UAW-Wife
  • Like 3

Ok, first of all cal, I am NOT a teacher. I just support the people who have MY children for 6-7 hours a day and teach MY children the things they know to succeed in life--things I am not trained to teach them. Everyone who is against teachers should have to educate their own children for one year and then pass the state tests. If you don't, there will monetary penalties you must pay. Wouldn't you rather have your tax dollars go towards having qualified teachers teaching YOUR children? Being UAW members and knowing how people attack your wages and livelihood on regular basis, I can't believe any of you would attack another union and how they make their living. And the other poster is correct: Republicans want ALL unions abolished and will eventually succeed if people like you let them. Have fun in a few years when your union is gone and you are making $10 in the plant. And I have news for you: all companies are asking for concessions in all industries, not just the bubble of the auto industry. You have free health insurance, whereas everyone else has to pay, and raises and bonuses have been cut everywhere. So everyone is making concessions, wake up.

I don't care if you are a teacher, or not. Its a job. How its funded is very different than the private sector. No one is "attacking" another union either, its a separate fight and their fight. If its unjust it will play out that way. I fail to see the up roar when the state workers are being made THE SAME as existing federal worker and they have no issue with their own collective bargaining. I would be quiet also when the federal workers have a 99.97% employment rate or "job for life" with a .03 percent chance of layoff or firing.

I do not have "free" health insurance. There is no such thing as "free" anything if you have not figured that out. My wages and benefits and every employees benefit package is reflected in the retail cost of products sold. When profits were down all workers gave back benefits. State and federal worker produce zero direct product. That's not to say their job is not an important one but there are fixed and variable costs with every job. If the funds are not there to continue to pay out benefits either the company closes or you can get a state or federal job and add to the deficit and expect the same or more in wages and benefits while the unemployment rate continues to rise.

You sound resentful of our wages and benefits. If you did not know it the UAW already gave back a lot of earned benefits, vacation and holidays , higher co-payments, COLA, pension / VEBA to name a few. I do not wish anyone to make $10 like you suggested. I also do not rely on having a stranger (teacher) teach my kid morals or values in life. YMMV

• Like 2

I don't care if you are a teacher, or not. Its a job. How its funded is very different than the private sector. No one is "attacking" another union either, its a separate fight and their fight. If its unjust it will play out that way. I fail to see the up roar when the state workers are being made THE SAME as existing federal worker and they have no issue with their own collective bargaining. I would be quiet also when the federal workers have a 99.97% employment rate or "job for life" with a .03 percent chance of layoff or firing.

I do not have "free" health insurance. There is no such thing as "free" anything if you have not figured that out. My wages and benefits and every employees benefit package is reflected in the retail cost of products sold. When profits were down all workers gave back benefits. State and federal worker produce zero direct product. That's not to say their job is not an important one but there are fixed and variable costs with every job. If the funds are not there to continue to pay out benefits either the company closes or you can get a state or federal job and add to the deficit and expect the same or more in wages and benefits while the unemployment rate continues to rise.

You sound resentful of our wages and benefits. If you did not know it the UAW already gave back a lot of earned benefits, vacation and holidays , higher co-payments, COLA, pension / VEBA to name a few. I do not wish anyone to make $10 like you suggested. I also do not rely on having a stranger (teacher) teach my kid morals or values in life. YMMV

Are you kidding?? My husband is a Ford employee. I am in no way, shape or form resentful! That is his livelyhood and I appreciate it EVERY SINGLE DAY. And the money for new products OTHER PEOPLE BUY pay for your insurance so in a sense, you all have free insurance. I benefit from that so I am not knocking it. You do not see the $300 every two weeks deducted from your pay. So when you see that, then you can say you don't have free health care. If unions are busted, you will see that deduction. Just sayin.

Whatever, keep Snyder and Republicans in office and you will be very sorry about what happens with your unions. I'm trying to spread the word to save unions--UAW, teachers, police, firefighters, etc. And I work for a private company and guess what, I haven't gotten a raise in a few years and things have been cut. So you are NOT the only sector to have given things up. Get off your high horse with the attitude that you guys are alone with the concessions!

• Like 3

Are you kidding?? My husband is a Ford employee. I am in no way, shape or form resentful! That is his livelyhood and I appreciate it EVERY SINGLE DAY. And the money for new products OTHER PEOPLE BUY pay for your insurance so in a sense, you all have free insurance. I benefit from that so I am not knocking it. You do not see the $300 every two weeks deducted from your pay. So when you see that, then you can say you don't have free health care. If unions are busted, you will see that deduction. Just sayin.

Whatever, keep Snyder and Republicans in office and you will be very sorry about what happens with your unions. I'm trying to spread the word to save unions--UAW, teachers, police, firefighters, etc. And I work for a private company and guess what, I haven't gotten a raise in a few years and things have been cut. So you are NOT the only sector to have given things up. Get off your high horse with the attitude that you guys are alone with the concessions!

And obviously I'm not talking about morals and values in life that teachers are teaching my kids. I'm talking about algebra, social studies, chemistry, biology, literature.

• Like 3

Are these the same teachers and nurses, etc., who asked for our help and wanted to park their Toyotas and Hondas in our union parking lot? And then when told they couldn't had a fit stating that the UAW couldn't tell them what kind of car to drive? Those teachers?

• Like 4

Are these the same teachers and nurses, etc., who asked for our help and wanted to park their Toyotas and Hondas in our union parking lot? And then when told they couldn't had a fit stating that the UAW couldn't tell them what kind of car to drive? Those teachers?

Makes no difference if was those teachers, the point is the republicans are hell bent on destroying all unions not just the public sector unions. If they would of gotten their way during the auto bailouts the UAW would be on life support right now, if they even still existed.

• Like 2

Haha, so that's your grasping at straws reply? That some teachers and nurses MAY drive foreign cars? I'm talking about unions in general. Doesn't matter the occupation at this point. I just wanted to spread the word that unions are going to be majorly targeted in the next three years and the attack has already begun. I guarantee you the UAW workers are going to get badmouthed here pretty soon just as contract negotiations begin and will back up the argument that here is just another reason there should be no unions. They are out of step with reality and antiquated. If anyone in another union thinks they are safe from the attack, think again. Sign. Don't sign. I don't care. But don't be crying when all the benefits of being protected by a union will be gone some day if the Republicans get their way. You will be at the mercy of Ford. They will pay you what they want, fire you at will and make you pay out the nose for your medical benefits, just like every other job without union protection. I'm not posting anything else about it.

• Like 2

Those are my neighbors (teachers).

6 teachers in our neighborhood and not one drives ANY American vehicle. All have nothing but contempt for autoworkers as a whole. I find a little humor in their actions when asked or told to take some concessions like most of the workers out there. Unless your driving a bicycle or a horse to work the majority of people driving cars should thank and autoworker.

The old slogan "If you can read this thank a teacher" is similar to "If your not walking thank an autoworker"

I hope they (teachers) get a good paycheck but when they are asked to slip on our shoes and travel the same road (potential cut in benefits) they really cry foul. Sorry but it is separate issue and I would support them as much as they have supported any other unions which is about zero.

• Like 2

Those are my neighbors (teachers).

6 teachers in our neighborhood and not one drives ANY American vehicle. All have nothing but contempt for autoworkers as a whole. I find a little humor in their actions when asked or told to take some concessions like most of the workers out there. Unless your driving a bicycle or a horse to work the majority of people driving cars should thank and autoworker.

The old slogan "If you can read this thank a teacher" is similar to "If your not walking thank an autoworker"

I hope they (teachers) get a good paycheck but when they are asked to slip on our shoes and travel the same road (potential cut in benefits) they really cry foul. Sorry but it is separate issue and I would support them as much as they have supported any other unions which is about zero.

I'm sorry to say it but that attitude is exactly how we play in to the hands of those who wish to destroy ALL of us and our way of life. We shouldn't worry about the micro issues like "My neighbor is a teacher and she drives a Toyota so I'm not getting involved in her fight for collective bargaining". This attack on the middle class is against ALL of us and we need to put aside our differences and fight together. We need to recognize that the enemy is not our neighbor who gets better health care or a few more dollars an hour. The enemy is the Republican party who is launching an aggressive and blatant assault on the middle class and the Unions that have made a middle class possible.

• Like 3

I'm sorry to say it but that attitude is exactly how we play in to the hands of those who wish to destroy ALL of us and our way of life. We shouldn't worry about the micro issues like "My neighbor is a teacher and she drives a Toyota so I'm not getting involved in her fight for collective bargaining". This attack on the middle class is against ALL of us and we need to put aside our differences and fight together. We need to recognize that the enemy is not our neighbor who gets better health care or a few more dollars an hour. The enemy is the Republican party who is launching an aggressive and blatant assault on the middle class and the Unions that have made a middle class possible.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If teachers, and other public sector employees go out of their way to buy imported cars, then I say they have made their choice as to who's side they are on. And if they aren't on my side, then they are on the other.

I will support those who support me. I will not support those who do not support me. It's that simple. Go ahead and stand up for the teachers, just know that when it's your turn to fight, the teachers will not be there next to you.

• Like 4

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If teachers, and other public sector employees go out of their way to buy imported cars, then I say they have made their choice as to who's side they are on. And if they aren't on my side, then they are on the other.

I will support those who support me. I will not support those who do not support me. It's that simple. Go ahead and stand up for the teachers, just know that when it's your turn to fight, the teachers will not be there next to you.

Exactly! The schools where I live are in such shambles that all of my children have attended private school. And when the bailouts were taking place (I'm in Ohio), you couldn't go anywhere that these same teachers, etc., weren't going on about how we're overpaid and lazy drunken hillbillies! I have signed petitions, attended rallies and worked to repeal SB5 but my point is that they've got to support us as well! They've no time for us when WE are under attack but the minute they're under attack they come crying to us to help them out. I want reciprocal respect! And to UAWwife, I'd think you'd want the same for your husband! Support of one another is a two ways street but the only ones I ever see putting themselves out there is the UAW!

• Like 2

And HOW MANY Kia's, Toyota's and Hondas are in YOUR plants parking lot on a daily basis? How can we expect anyone else to support us, when many of us won't support ourselves?

I WILL support ALL unions, regardless of anything else. We as Union Members are under attack, and it will take ALL of us working together to stop the race to the bottom. If anyone is naive enough to think that the "Emergancy Finacial Maneger" rules are aimed stricly at teachers..>WAKE UP. They can use this against ALL public sector employees, and you can bet, in the near future, we will see attempts to destroy ALL Unions here in Michigan. It proposals are already being shopped around Lansing to make us a "right to work for LESS" State.

WAKE UP PEOPLE...We are our own worst enemies.

• Like 3

And HOW MANY Kia's, Toyota's and Hondas are in YOUR plants parking lot on a daily basis? How can we expect anyone else to support us, when many of us won't support ourselves?

I WILL support ALL unions, regardless of anything else. We as Union Members are under attack, and it will take ALL of us working together to stop the race to the bottom. If anyone is naive enough to think that the "Emergancy Finacial Maneger" rules are aimed stricly at teachers..>WAKE UP. They can use this against ALL public sector employees, and you can bet, in the near future, we will see attempts to destroy ALL Unions here in Michigan. It proposals are already being shopped around Lansing to make us a "right to work for LESS" State.

WAKE UP PEOPLE...We are our own worst enemies.

Your final point says it all. Union members bring their own fate upon themselves.

I can only control what I do, so therefore I will support who I want to support. The people at my plant who don't drive Ford, or CAW built vehicles, are the problem. It doesn't matter if the vehicle was handed down, or such a great deal they had to buy it. It looks horrible when you work for Ford, and have a Civic sitting in your driveway. It also looks horrible if you are a government employee, in a heavily automotive influenced area, and choose to support the competition. Go drive passed a school, hospital, fire station, or any other government building, and see how many vehicles are imports. So if these people decide not to support me, why should I support them?

Feel free to support whomever you wish, but just know that the people you'd go to battle for, will stick you in the back with a knife the first chance they get. Where were the teachers unions when the auto manufactures were in trouble? Unions are not under attack. Ensuring you and your family have a future is what the issue is. And if States, and cities continue to go bankrupt, then there will be no future. The fat needs to be trimmed. And just because you are in a union, doesn't mean you won't be affected.

I can't stand the fear mongering the left is using. Republicans don't hate unions, or the middle class. Republicans hate waste. A republican has no problem paying $50 for a steak, as long as the steak is worth $50. The problem they have is paying $50 for a steak, but getting one that's only worth $10. Republicans hate being forced to pay $50 for a steak, if they know they are only getting one worth $10. Being in a union should not guarantee you a job for life. DOing your job well, should guarantee you have a job for life. When the unions realize this, then unions will be far better off

• Like 3

Was Snyder's election not valid? Why would there possibly be a recall?

This is what I can't figure out. How do the same people who accuse the Republicans of wanting to kill democracy, turn around and want to throw out the results of perfectly legit election?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a recall something that the losing side wants if they don't like the results of an election? Why hasn't Obama been recalled yet? He hasn't done a single thing he said he was going to do, and he's actually made things worse

• Like 2

Was Snyder's election not valid? Why would there possibly be a recall?

New republican Governor - Check

Majority Senate, republican - Check

Majority Congress, republican - Check

First 6 months as Governor

1) Raised taxes on Lower class

2) Raised taxes on Middle class

3) Imposed a new tax on Senior Citizens

4) Cut K 12 funding

5) Takes away communities elected officials power by assigning a jack booted thug finacial manager to take away collective bargaining agreements at the stroke of a pen

All of this to balance a budget you say????

No,,,,,

He gave tax cuts to the rich business community to a tune of 1.3 BILLION dollars

Make no mistake these republicans want blood from the poor, middle class, unions and seniors to give to business. They simply are dividing this country..

Yeah, I would say the election was invalid because he never campaigned on doing any of these travesties

• Like 2

Since you didn't answer, I'll ask again. Where is the recall for Obama?

Copied from wikianswers.

Once elected and after Congress has certified the Electoral votes, a President of The United States may only be removed from office by impeachment by the House followed by conviction by the Senate, or by the more prudent means of resignation ( a la Richard Nixon).<BR itxtNodeId="197">Johnson and Clinton were impeached, but no President has ever been convicted and removed from office.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_recall_election_be_used_to_remove_a_US_President_from_office#ixzz1SsxmzLMd

I didnt respond to your quote.

I responded to Marginal Economist

If I was responding to you I would have quoted your quote.

Are you drunk???

Actually, yes, yes I am. But that's not the point. You gave reasons as to why you think Synder should be recalled, but yet you continue to support another politician for doing the exact same thing. You chose not to answer because if you had, it would have ruined your point about Synder. So you ignored it.

Copied from wikianswers.

Once elected and after Congress has certified the Electoral votes, a President of The United States may only be removed from office by impeachment by the House followed by conviction by the Senate, or by the more prudent means of resignation ( a la Richard Nixon).<BR itxtNodeId="197">Johnson and Clinton were impeached, but no President has ever been convicted and removed from office.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_recall_election_be_used_to_remove_a_US_President_from_office#ixzz1SsxmzLMd

Like the other guy, you missed the point )possibly purposely since it ruins your support for Obama).

Why do the same people who want Synder tossed out of Office, continue to support a guy who lied more, and has done less?

• Like 2

New republican Governor - Check

Majority Senate, republican - Check

Majority Congress, republican - Check

First 6 months as Governor

1) Raised taxes on Lower class

2) Raised taxes on Middle class

3) Imposed a new tax on Senior Citizens

4) Cut K 12 funding

5) Takes away communities elected officials power by assigning a jack booted thug finacial manager to take away collective bargaining agreements at the stroke of a pen

All of this to balance a budget you say????

No,,,,,

He gave tax cuts to the rich business community to a tune of 1.3 BILLION dollars

Make no mistake these republicans want blood from the poor, middle class, unions and seniors to give to business. They simply are dividing this country..

Yeah, I would say the election was invalid because he never campaigned on doing any of these travesties

Is the an effort to recall the state congressmen and state senators who voted for these bills as well? What was the alternative plan to reducing the 12.8% unemployment rate in MI? Do you think that increased taxes on business would encourage them to hire more people?

• Like 3

Actually, yes, yes I am. But that's not the point. You gave reasons as to why you think Synder should be recalled, but yet you continue to support another politician for doing the exact same thing. You chose not to answer because if you had, it would have ruined your point about Synder. So you ignored it.

Like the other guy, you missed the point )possibly purposely since it ruins your support for Obama).

Why do the same people who want Synder tossed out of Office, continue to support a guy who lied more, and has done less?

I dont know maybe you are also high.

Your self proclaimed "loaded question" was not on the thread when I posted to Marginal Economist.

I didnt ignore it simply was not posted when I responded to Marginal Economist.

Now back to your "Loaded Question"

I voted for Snyder on the platform of "reinventing Michigan" . I believed the whole spin on him not being a career politician. More for the people. A Nerd if you will.

How wrong I was. He was actually a Wall Street insider who put a huge burden and taxed the snot on the poor, middle class and seniors while giving all of the new taxes directly to rich business. A complete shell game and one structured with the full court press of the republican agenda

I did not organize the recall. Marginal Economist was just asking why there was a recall and I answered. I am not part or never have been part of a recall so I dont have any knowlwdge of a recall for Obama. The other poster gave you info that there is no such avenue to recall a President so maybe that answers your question.

Party on Cheech