A Letter from Gary Walkowitz

snoopy

No Wage Increase Means A Wage Cut

UAW President Bob King said that the union leadership supports profit-sharing, but not wage increases, for Ford, GM and Chrysler workers in the new contract.

If our wages stay the same for the next 4 years, while prices go up, that means our purchasing power is steadily going down. If we can’t buy as much 4 years from now as we can today, then our standard of living has gone down. Let’s say it like it is – a wage freeze is a wage cut.

After years of concessions, autoworkers have already fallen far behind the cost-of-living. Ford workers have had one base wage increase in the last 9 years, while prices for gas and food and clothing and almost everything else has gone up and up. Can we afford to go another 4 years falling further and further behind?

Profit-sharing instead of raises?

We need our raises and our COLA back. We need something that is guaranteed. Depending on profit-sharing means letting the companies tell us what they are going to pay us. Do you trust the auto companies? Do you really think profit-sharing will pay as much money as getting a raise every year?

The history of profit-sharing shows what a scam it is. For Ford workers, we have had profit-sharing in the contract for the last 28 years. In 8 of those years, our profit-sharing was a big fat ZERO. In 5 more years, our profit-sharing was between $160 and $600 (before taxes). That means, almost half the time our take home pay from profit-sharing was less than $400.

The auto company executives themselves are calling for profit-sharing instead of raises. So if the companies are pushing for profit-sharing, who do you think profit-sharing will benefit, us or them? And when their promises of big profit-sharing checks don’t materialize, who is going to help us pay the electric bill, the mortgage and our car note? We can’t live on promises.

Competitive with who?

Bob King says that we can’t demand raises from the auto companies because we have to help them stay “competitive”. Competitive with who? Ford just had one of their most profitable years ever. Was Ford being competitive when Alan Mulally and Bill Ford were each paid $26.5 Million last year? And, oh yeah, Mulally and Bill Ford were also given a total of $98.9 Million in stock options last year. How competitive are they?

For years, they have used this talk about being “competitive” to justify taking tens of thousands of dollars in concessions from autoworkers. Now that the auto companies are making big profits again, they want to sell us the same old crap about being “competitive”.

Hey, Bob King, autoworkers need “competitive” wages so that we can pay our damn bills!!!

Gary Walkowicz, Bargaining Committeeman, Local 600, Dearborn Truck Plant.

(313) 737-3166 gwalk32@att.net 7-25-11

• Like 6

UAW President Bob King said that the union leadership supports profit-sharing, but not wage increases, for Ford, GM and Chrysler workers in the new contract.

If our wages stay the same for the next 4 years, while prices go up, that means our purchasing power is steadily going down. If we can’t buy as much 4 years from now as we can today, then our standard of living has gone down. Let’s say it like it is – a wage freeze is a wage cut.

After years of concessions, autoworkers have already fallen far behind the cost-of-living. Ford workers have had one base wage increase in the last 9 years, while prices for gas and food and clothing and almost everything else has gone up and up. Can we afford to go another 4 years falling further and further behind?

We need our raises and our COLA back. We need something that is guaranteed. Depending on profit-sharing means letting the companies tell us what they are going to pay us. Do you trust the auto companies? Do you really think profit-sharing will pay as much money as getting a raise every year?

The history of profit-sharing shows what a scam it is. For Ford workers, we have had profit-sharing in the contract for the last 28 years. In 8 of those years, our profit-sharing was a big fat ZERO. In 5 more years, our profit-sharing was between $160 and $600 (before taxes). That means, almost half the time our take home pay from profit-sharing was less than $400.

The auto company executives themselves are calling for profit-sharing instead of raises. So if the companies are pushing for profit-sharing, who do you think profit-sharing will benefit, us or them? And when their promises of big profit-sharing checks don’t materialize, who is going to help us pay the electric bill, the mortgage and our car note? We can’t live on promises.

Competitive with who?

Bob King says that we can’t demand raises from the auto companies because we have to help them stay “competitive”. Competitive with who? Ford just had one of their most profitable years ever. Was Ford being competitive when Alan Mulally and Bill Ford were each paid $26.5 Million last year? And, oh yeah, Mulally and Bill Ford were also given a total of $98.9 Million in stock options last year. How competitive are they?

For years, they have used this talk about being “competitive” to justify taking tens of thousands of dollars in concessions from autoworkers. Now that the auto companies are making big profits again, they want to sell us the same old crap about being “competitive”.

Hey, Bob King, autoworkers need “competitive” wages so that we can pay our damn bills!!!

Competitive with who?

What are some sort of quack??

The UAW is going to increase our wages SAFELY so as to support new investment and job security. You are a dinosaur and with no plan. All we hear from you is how everything is bad and we need to be back up to $70 per hour.

Do you realize what our $70 per hour rate will get us???

Zero job security............ New models and investments will go to Canada and Mexico !!!!

You are a fool........... Pointing fingers with no resolution.

The UAW has the responsibility of protecting 40,000 hard working UAW members and their families. Your plan is just say no puts us all in jeopardy.......

Is there a village out there missing their idiot???

• Like 5

Competitive with who?

Does this guy ever offer any solutions to anything or does he just like to rant?

• Like 5

Although I'd like to get back what I gave up, I know it won't happen. A 3% raise would be the equivalent of about $1800 for the average line worker. The profit sharing check I just got this past March covered 3+ years of raises at that rate. This year looks just as promising for a nice check. If the company continues to do well, we will benefit more from profit sharing checks in the near term. Maybe they can pay off the mortgage in the next 4 years and in 2015 can absorb raising their fixed cost easier? I'd rather have a healthy, stable company at this point than get some raises and bennies back and then the company again go through what it did over the last few years.

• Like 3

Although the old guard won here, are there any new Chairman, Presidents that will take a stand and tell the IUAW that the time of concessions are over? We have some of the hottest vehicles out but could I get feedback from these plants?

• Like 2

Although I'd like to get back what I gave up, I know it won't happen. A 3% raise would be the equivalent of about $1800 for the average line worker. The profit sharing check I just got this past March covered 3+ years of raises at that rate. This year looks just as promising for a nice check. If the company continues to do well, we will benefit more from profit sharing checks in the near term. Maybe they can pay off the mortgage in the next 4 years and in 2015 can absorb raising their fixed cost easier? I'd rather have a healthy, stable company at this point than get some raises and bennies back and then the company again go through what it did over the last few years.

The loss of Gen was the biggie.......

• Like 1

Although the old guard won here, are there any new Chairman, Presidents that will take a stand and tell the IUAW that the time of concessions are over? We have some of the hottest vehicles out but could I get feedback from these plants?

I dont know if there were many changes in Chairmen but Mr. King has said publicly in the paper, on TV and even during radio interviews last week "No Concessions".

He has said we have given enough and our wages are at a competitive level to generate more investment.

Sounds good to me that the President of our union said NO Concessions as recent as last week.

• Like 1

Gary Walkowicz...LOL....man this dude is a joke. He writes tons of letters but is never seen at the plant. Guy cant even get his own plant right, but wants to tell IUAW how it should be.

Do something at DTP first, then maybe we will take you seriously.

• Like 2

I trust there will be a income increase somehow to compliment our income without hurting our ability to stay competitive.

King is smart and a strategist. He will not put our jobs jeopardy by pricing us out of investment.

I am excited to see King hold the line on concessions and get enough product to save questionable plants like AAI. Our power train plants like Livonia, Romeo, Cleveland, Sharonville, Sterling. Also our stamping locations like Buffalo, Walton Hills and Woodhaven all locations that are in dire need of investment for survival. Over 10,000 members at those locations that need product. Canada is thirsty for product commitments in their contract negotiations next year and Mexico will drop wages down to $1 per hour to grab our work.

King needs to keep on the path he has stated in the press and we will all be awash in products, investment and our ultimate goal of job security for 40,000 people

• Like 2

Gary Walkowicz...LOL....man this dude is a joke. He writes tons of letters but is never seen at the plant. Guy cant even get his own plant right, but wants to tell IUAW how it should be.

Didnt he get like 35 people fired for telling them they didnt have to work a mandatory overtime opportunity???

Please.

We need leaders to lead us that are educated and will not put our jobs at risk.

• Like 4

Does this guy ever offer any solutions to anything or does he just like to rant?

He said no to the 2007 agreement that has given us the benefit of all of this investment in CAP, LAP, KCAP, MAP, DTP, KTP, Vandyke, Lima, Cleveland, DEP, DSP, ISA, Woodhaven Forge etc...

With all of this product and job security he votes no. He does not have the ability to look into the future for repercussions of his actions. Following his lead would put all of our jobs in Mexico and Canada.

• Like 2

What are some sort of quack??

The UAW is going to increase our wages SAFELY so as to support new investment and job security. You are a dinosaur and with no plan. All we hear from you is how everything is bad and we need to be back up to $70 per hour.

Do you realize what our $70 per hour rate will get us???

Zero job security............ New models and investments will go to Canada and Mexico !!!!

You are a fool........... Pointing fingers with no resolution.

The UAW has the responsibility of protecting 40,000 hard working UAW members and their families. Your plan is just say no puts us all in jeopardy.......

Is there a village out there missing their idiot???

Bingo

• Like 3

He had his chance when he was Chairman. . . We voted him out. . . he needs to stop his ranting because his days have past . . . we need some intelligent people to solve problems within our plant, make their names known and get well established in the plant and we will send them forward. I've met some of you. I know your there. Use your smarts and the ability to speak clearly. You don't need a foul mouth to make your point or bitch about how things should be, learn and grow. Please let me retire with a Union I can be proud of.

• Like 3

He had his chance when he was Chairman. . . We voted him out. . . he needs to stop his ranting because his days have past . . . we need some intelligent people to solve problems within our plant, make their names known and get well established in the plant and we will send them forward. I've met some of you. I know your there. Use your smarts and the ability to speak clearly. You don't need a foul mouth to make your point or bitch about how things should be, learn and grow. Please let me retire with a Union I can be proud of.

Amen!

• Like 2

You have the right attitude. As you said, it would be great to get those items back and maybe you will at some point down the line but what you said about profit sharing is true. I can remember when assembly line workers got over $10,000 and that was with 100,000 workers not the current 41,000. The profit sharing formula should be re-worked to be more in line with those days (prior to 2007). There could also be stock options available to workers. Just think of what profits Ford can make if sales go back up to 15-17 million units again. Until the implants are unionized and their pay and benefits are around equal to those who are unionized, profit sharing is the way to go.

• Like 1

But what you fail to include in your numbers is the fact that the 3% IS FOR LIFE.... which means someone with 20 years left makes $36,000 OVER THE REMAINING TIME BEFORE RETIREMENT...much better then $5K PROFIT SHARING YOU JUST GOT! How can you profit better from profit sharing when it's not guarenteed? In my 23 years half the years I didn't even get a check at all...and who wants all my raise based on all the decision made by the company with no imput? We have to get COLA back in the mix....only way to get fair raises based on inflation. Thats the problem with the younger work force...guarenteed raises are for life and raise your pension....payout alittle cash at signing or on profit sharing and that is a one time deal...no comparision in my opinion.

KTP Chairman Scott Eskridge was one of a few that told IUAW to shove the last set of concessions up their ass and instructed us to vote no...said we had given enough. Vote count shot the concessions down overwhelmingly and Ford announces 1 billion profit the next day...Scott is for the membership....even if the IUAW doesn't have the pulse of the membership.

• Like 1

Its nice to see the blue oval news forums have been taken over by IUAW. They spew corporate views to letters written by a man (Gary Walkowitiz) that has done an enormous amount of good for the working man. If that is the only way you can promote Bob (I sold the Rouge Steel workers down the river) King then you are sadly mistaken. When King came to support both concession votes, he was wrong both times. And might I add, he was staunchly BOOED!!! out of the birth place of the union by low seniority as well as high seniority workers. We workers across the country voted 92+% not to accept any more rubbish from him or the company. Enough was enough. We have not had a raise in 8 years and this in itself is a wage cut through attrition. The bills go up and our wage goes down. It makes me sick that the IUAW and the company think we should lower our standards of living so we can compete with foreign companies who take there profits over seas. You want a solution, try forcing tariffs on the foreign companies that don't reinvest in our country or pay taxes into our country. Let them raise there living standards to ours and you will wipe out slave labor. You want to talk about profit sharing, well how about the company share overseas profits with us here in the U.S. After all, they take there profits made here and invest in overseas projects. The Greed is so easy to see and yet, you people can't see it because Bob Kings head is so far up the companies ass he could touch the inside of its belly. I would also like to comment on an article written 2 weeks ago that Bob King wants a permanent seat on the board. That sounded like he wanted to get another lifetime appointment after his stay in the IUAW. All of you need to think long and hard before you vote for anything. We are the workers that put the product out for the company to survive. And we should not accept anything less then a raise and all benefits to remain as they are. The cost of living allowance needs to be reinstated with an updated formula that reflects today's economic conditions.

Now I know that you Bob King clones will have a field day with this post and thats okay because a debate is healthy and your credibility is already shot with the second concession vote. So have at it. Remember one thing, You asked for solutions and I have given them to you. What have you done for your union today?

Its nice to see the blue oval news forums have been taken over by IUAW. They spew corporate views to letters written by a man (Gary Walkowitiz) that has done an enormous amount of good for the working man. If that is the only way you can promote Bob (I sold the Rouge Steel workers down the river) King then you are sadly mistaken. When King came to support both concession votes, he was wrong both times. And might I add, he was staunchly BOOED!!! out of the birth place of the union by low seniority as well as high seniority workers. We workers across the country voted 92+% not to accept any more rubbish from him or the company. Enough was enough. We have not had a raise in 8 years and this in itself is a wage cut through attrition. The bills go up and our wage goes down. It makes me sick that the IUAW and the company think we should lower our standards of living so we can compete with foreign companies who take there profits over seas. You want a solution, try forcing tariffs on the foreign companies that don't reinvest in our country or pay taxes into our country. Let them raise there living standards to ours and you will wipe out slave labor. You want to talk about profit sharing, well how about the company share overseas profits with us here in the U.S. After all, they take there profits made here and invest in overseas projects. The Greed is so easy to see and yet, you people can't see it because Bob Kings head is so far up the companies ass he could touch the inside of its belly. I would also like to comment on an article written 2 weeks ago that Bob King wants a permanent seat on the board. That sounded like he wanted to get another lifetime appointment after his stay in the IUAW. All of you need to think long and hard before you vote for anything. We are the workers that put the product out for the company to survive. And we should not accept anything less then a raise and all benefits to remain as they are. The cost of living allowance needs to be reinstated with an updated formula that reflects today's economic conditions.

Now I know that you Bob King clones will have a field day with this post and thats okay because a debate is healthy and your credibility is already shot with the second concession vote. So have at it. Remember one thing, You asked for solutions and I have given them to you. What have you done for your union today?

You are as uneducated as your icon wafflewitz.

Your only solution is through politics and half of the UAW membership vote republican so that wont change as we know republicans want us off the face of the earth

So your resolution is to raise our rates back up to $70 per hour and watch our job security investment go right to Canada and Mexico.

You just put all 40,000 of us in meltdown mode where the company would send our work elsewhere over a short period of time

Sorry, but 20/20 hind sight of the proactive IUAW tells me I will be set with job security for years to come where we are no longer "losing jobs" but gaining investments and jobs

Go spin your job jeopardy platform and lack of education elsewhere

You are as uneducated as your icon wafflewitz.

Your only solution is through politics and half of the UAW membership vote republican so that wont change as we know republicans want us off the face of the earth

So your resolution is to raise our rates back up to $70 per hour and watch our job security investment go right to Canada and Mexico.

You just put all 40,000 of us in meltdown mode where the company would send our work elsewhere over a short period of time

Sorry, but 20/20 hind sight of the proactive IUAW tells me I will be set with job security for years to come where we are no longer "losing jobs" but gaining investments and jobs

Go spin your job jeopardy platform and lack of education elsewhere

Where is your solution dickhead. oh yea you have none. Next

Competitive with who?

The sooner the UAW rid itself of republicants plants like Gary and yourself the more united the UAW will become. Solidarity til the end. Your right wing plant will not destory the union.

• Like 1