2011 Explorer Drive

I'm not claiming it does it constantly. Just don't want it to do it more than it has to.the

There is no question that your '10 Explorer is a much better driver than my '02 Explorer. The old '92 4.0 V6 was a POS and gas hog and I sold it and stayed with the V8 after. In '09, Ford had a similar improvement to the Ford Escape Hybrid and it had a totally better ride and engine. Even now, the '11 Explorer is a much better driver than my '09 FEH. The 6 speed automatic in the '09 Gas Escape had all kinds of problems but the hybrids came with the eCVT and are solid as a rock.

I had some concerns about the 6 speed Ford transmissions because of the '09 Escapes, but this new Explorer 6 speed works perfect to me. Do you know if your '10 Explorer has aggressive fuel-cut (DFSO)? My '09 FEH was one on the first to get the aggressive DFSO eCVT and now both my '11 Explorer and '12 Focus has it. The new 6 speed transmissions are programmed to hold an idle RPM with the drive wheel while the fuel is shut-off by the PCM. We discovered how to enhance DFSO faster in the '09 FEH by tapping the brake pedal lightly. The brake tap also works in the 6 speed transmission in the new Explorer and Focus. DFSO is similar to the effects of new Stop/Start technology Ford is working On. The only difference is Stop/Start works down to 0mph and DFSO gives up at ~25mph in the '11 Explorer.

Lastly, Terry are you sure you were not experiencing DFSO from the '11 Explorer? I've heard complaints about the '12 Focus transmission being jerky and that sounds like the effects of DFSO which is normal when the drive wheels slow the vehicle like we use to call engine braking in a manual transmission slowing down or going down a mountain. I recognized DFSO the first time I drove the '12 Focus on my first test drive before I bought one. I can also tell it in all my Fords without looking at my Scangauge when DFSO kicks in.

For those that don't understand DFSO (Deceleration Fuel Shut Off), the Instant MPG reads 9,999mpg (lower left), the RPM on the upper left, the Open Loop on the upper right and engine temperature on the lower left on the Scangauge. Notice this is the reading I get from the PCM OBDII reading while in fuel-cut. As you can see, something other than fuel is driving the RPM - the wheels and the computer and the transmission module cause DFSO which saves gas! Here is a photo of the reading in my '11 Explorer:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/17142/cat/500/ppuser/36

There is no question that your '10 Explorer is a much better driver than my '02 Explorer. The old '92 4.0 V6 was a POS and gas hog and I sold it and stayed with the V8 after. In '09, Ford had a similar improvement to the Ford Escape Hybrid and it had a totally better ride and engine. Even now, the '11 Explorer is a much better driver than my '09 FEH. The 6 speed automatic in the '09 Gas Escape had all kinds of problems but the hybrids came with the eCVT and are solid as a rock.

I had some concerns about the 6 speed Ford transmissions because of the '09 Escapes, but this new Explorer 6 speed works perfect to me. Do you know if your '10 Explorer has aggressive fuel-cut (DFSO)? My '09 FEH was one on the first to get the aggressive DFSO eCVT and now both my '11 Explorer and '12 Focus has it. The new 6 speed transmissions are programmed to hold an idle RPM with the drive wheel while the fuel is shut-off by the PCM. We discovered how to enhance DFSO faster in the '09 FEH by tapping the brake pedal lightly. The brake tap also works in the 6 speed transmission in the new Explorer and Focus. DFSO is similar to the effects of new Stop/Start technology Ford is working On. The only difference is Stop/Start works down to 0mph and DFSO gives up at ~25mph in the '11 Explorer.

Lastly, Terry are you sure you were not experiencing DFSO from the '11 Explorer? I've heard complaints about the '12 Focus transmission being jerky and that sounds like the effects of DFSO which is normal when the drive wheels slow the vehicle like we use to call engine braking in a manual transmission slowing down or going down a mountain. I recognized DFSO the first time I drove the '12 Focus on my first test drive before I bought one. I can also tell it in all my Fords without looking at my Scangauge when DFSO kicks in.

Gary, you have done more research than I have about this. I didn't even know about this. It may have had it. I can pretty much say that my '10 does not have this because it never feels like it loses power. I noticed today pulling a hill with my truck that I was holding 50 mph and my engine was turning 1250 RPM and it was a little bog down, but not so much that it couldn't continue to pull the truck up the small hill.

It is just the fact going up hill at 50 to 55 mph, that it has to drop down a gear to maintain speed. That is my biggest complaint. I know that my '10 does every once in a while, but to me the engine should be strong enough with good power to maintain speed.

Harddrive: Good post, no matter what others say. Too many here praise the '11 Explorer to no end, which it is a good car. But it does have its faults, like every car. For those that dislike the faults, it's a deterrent or check on the not so good list. Doesn't mean it's not a good overall vehicle. Some of the issues you expressed I have the same feeling about. And again, those are our personal preferences/likes, which others may not consider an issue. And even though people want to dismiss the issues, it's clearly an issue to some.

What in God name could you be comparing the 2011 Ford Explorer too? I've driven the best vehicles on the market and have never found anything better than my 2011 Explorer Limited FWD V6. I was paid to test drive the BMW X6 Active Hybrid at $103,000, and I can say I'd rather drive my 2011 Explorer any day.

Dude, the Explorer is good, but it's not a perfect vehicle and has its issues. Guy was simply providing HIS opinion, which doesn't have to match yours.

For me for a car/truck should have enough power so that the engine doesn't bog down. It should not have to downshift going up a minor hill. The more torque for me means that the truck/car doesn't have to downshift to maintain speed. So for me more torque means a smoother ride because the transmission and engine aren't looking for the power to keep the truck/car moving.

Get into higher altitudes, with much larger hills/mountains or more drastic grades and this becomes a much more noticeable issue. In a vehicle the size of the '11 Explorer, it should have a higher option motor than the base 3.5L. EB 3.5 would most likely work perfect, especially here in CO with it being force fed air.

The days of torque monster engines are pretty much over.

Yup, and that's why the EB 3.5L makes 420ft-lbs in the F150, roughly 350-360 in the SHO/Flex, 5.0L Stang with nearly 400ft-lbs, the 6.7L PS pushes 800ft-lbs, and on. Sorry, don't see it. Manufactures are still putting our torque monsters, just as they are putting out fuel sippers. They just aren't using displacement as the only way to create power as they did back in the day. I think the '11 Explorer really needs a more powerful motor under the hood.

If the Explorer's 6-speed shifts anywhere near as well as the one in my Edge, downshifts from 6th to 5th at highway speed are fairly common yet almost entirely unnoticable unless you are looking for them.

Such constant shifting in our mountainous terrain (especially towing anything) will surely shorten the life of your tranny. Does the '11 Explorer have an option to lock out 6th, or both 5th/6th, since I believe both are simply O/D's? I know it's a kind of manumatic trans, but most I've experienced still force you to shift at a certain RPM. My father in laws '10 Taurus does when you put it in manual mode and use the paddles.

It's a new vehicle with a new design inside and out. If you don't like it then you don't like it but that doesn't mean it's wrong or needs improvement.

And just because you like it, don't think there is anything wrong with it, nor think it needs improvement, doesn't mean you're right. Just means you have an opinion. Why do manufacturers build in model years, and typically change items over the years of a vehicle cycle? To improve upon the negatives, and infuse a little change. Every brand new vehicle has faults and area's to improve. Doesn't mean its a bad vehicle, just means its like every other vehicle out there on the road. So while I like your enthusiasm for the product, it's not the "perfect" vehicle you are trying to portray.

Another pet peeve that i have is that people don't want manual transmissions anymore and to me that takes all the fun out of driving. I have more control over a car with a manual than I do with an automatic.

Right there with you! Wish my last 3 Fords had manuals ('99 Explorer 5.0L, '02 F150 5.4L & '06 F150 5.4L). While all have had very good auto's, living here in the mountains, I would much rather be able to determine the gear I'm in, rather than an auto that can't think and react as quick to the change in terrain as I'd like it to.

Aren't climbing hills and rises in the road two examples of when you want extra power?

Um yes. But come on over to CO and drive through our mountains constantly. You'll find out quickly you don't want the tranny shifting too often and as much as some cars do today to keep up speed. Seen tons of people who've burnt up their tranny due to this excessive nature on I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction. If you can lock out a gear or two (O/D) in the Explorer to hold a gear on both incline/decline (which too many people fail to do), to keep you in an optimal power range, then it's a moot point.

I've been seeing more newer smaller cars with tranny issues lately. I have to wonder if it's the manufacturers programming the trans to upshift early for fuel efficiency purposes and living with these mountains, has caused some of these premature failures.

I most likely will never purchase a BOF vehicle again from what I see as the improvements in this Explorer. I had so much fun driving in the mountains while on vacation in June because the new Explorer could take those winding turns so fast and stuck where I turned it. No problems shifting for me up or down the mountains.

Great Gary, sounds like the Explorer fits you perfectly. Problem is, the auto market isn't a "one size fits all" area. So while this is a great vehicle for you, it may not be for harddrive or others.

What mountains do you speak of? The Explorer is a good handler, due to it's lower ride, wider stance and improved traction control systems. But the power thing I have issues with, as for me, it's lacking some power. Adequate, sure, especially on flat land. On inclines, it does shift too much for my taste and for me to be comfortable with.

Again, if you can't really feel it shifting, I don't see what the problem is. Longevity won't be harmed by a few up and downshifts. It's not like it does it constantly. If that's what you're claiming, I think you're exagerating a bit.

Perfect salesman to a woman. Sorry, for my living and mountain climbing, as stated previously, the shifts are too common/frequent.

These are just my experiences, and feelings. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, just means I have an opinion and needs, and the Explorer doesn't fit for me. But it may for you, and congrats, I'm glad for you. Like with anything, don't try to force your feelings on me, and I won't on you. Just providing my 2 cents so all can have various opinions, not just one viewpoint.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

The difference is whether the product is deficient or defective or whether it simply wasn't designed to meet your personal preferences.

If there is a problem with the way the 6 speed auto shifts or the 3.5L engine doesn't work properly, that's a defect that should be addressed.

If someone doesn't like the fact that it shifts a lot or that it ONLY has 390 hp or that it doesn't come with a manual transmission or that it's not a rock crawler - that's not a defect. That just means the Explorer isn't the right vehicle for you - even though it is the right vehicle for hundreds of thousands of others.

There is nothing "wrong" with a 290 hp V6 and 6 speed automatic. It operates the vehicle just fine. Better than a lot of similar vehicles just a few years ago. To say it "needs more work and refinement" just because it downshifts is ridiculous. Just say "I don't like it" and move on.

Here is a better analogy.

I really like orange exterior paint with purple leather interior. The 2011 Explorer doesn't offer that. It's just not refined enough for me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if Ford fixes this glaring oversight. There are a lot of people like me who just won't buy one without that option. I hope Ford fixes it soon.

V8-X, I've owned a '93, '95, and '02 V8 Explorer and yes I was a little upset that a V8 was not an option in the '11 Explorer. Not anymore, the 3.5 V6 has just as much power if not more with the 6 speed auto and a lot better MPG. I pull a 3,500 pound Bostons Whaler all over the State of Florida and the first 2 gears in the 4 speed auto in my '02 X with a RWD 3.71 LS was terrible compared to the first two low gears in my '11 Explorer with the V6. The '11 Explorer also has a Tow Mode for special shifting needs for even mountains and you can select a manual gear to stay in with the Selectshift Mode. All I could do in my '02 Explorer was push the Tow button to keep out of overdrive (4th).

I agree with you that the days that big HP are over with is not the case yet. The BMW X6 Active Hybrid I was paid to hypermile for a documentary had a 480HP DI twin turbo V8 and this is a Crossover.

The mountain that I was referring to was Mount Magazine where I went to the top for lunch while visiting my Dad who lives there.

"Paris is known as the “Gateway to Mount Magazine,” the highest point in Arkansas. The mountain’s eight scenic overlooks provide panoramic views of the Arkansas River, Paris, and the Boston Mountains. Other surrounding vistas include numerous peaks of the Ouachitas and Blue Mountain Lake. The towns of Havana and Danville can be seen to the southeast.

Magazine affords many recreational opportunities — hang gliding, horseback riding, hiking, camping, rock climbing, rappelling, and even ice climbing when weather conditions are right. The mountain’s main road contains bicycle lanes.

Mount Magazine State Park features is a full-service facility including The Lodge at Mount Magazine, the Skycrest Restaurant, a conference center, an indoor pool, a fitness center, and a game room. Set on the mountain’s south bluff, the lodge offers breathtaking views of the Petit Jean River Valley and distant Blue Mountain Lake. Thirteen fully equipped cabins share the same bluff and panoramic view."

http://www.arkansas.com/places-to-go/cities-and-towns/city-detail.aspx?city=Paris

This mountain is not all that big, but it presented a challenge to me and the '11 Explorer for hypermiling. I wanted to maintain the fastest speed going down to maintain Fuel-Cut as long as possible. I maintained 26mpg going to the top and back down after lunch at the Lodge. Needless to say, I hung some fast turns downhill and the Explorer did an outstanding job you wouldn't expect most sports cars to do. I did not use the manual side of the 6 Speed Selectshift because I wanted the automatic Fuel-Cut mode to save gas and I had no problems with the automatic shifting at all.

Do I know about V8's and power? Yes, I've had 9 of the fastest Mustangs with both 4 speeds and automatics:

'67 Fastback 289

'67 Shelby GT 500 427 medium riser with 2-4's ( 202nd Original Shelby American built at LAX California) - 10 second quarter mile.

'68 1/2 428 Cobra Jet NHRA Race Version 4 Speed (Only 50 Made).

'69 Grande 390 auto

'77 Cobra II 302 auto

'79 Cobra 302 auto

'79 Pace Car 302 auto

'82 GT 302 auto

'85 Shelby GT 350 auto

First car in high school was a rare '66 Galaxy 500 convertible my father bought new from San Jose Ford. That was the 7 Liter with a 428PI with a 4 speed. It was my first big block rebuild of many to come.

• Like 1

The difference is whether the product is deficient or defective or whether it simply wasn't designed to meet your personal preferences.

If there is a problem with the way the 6 speed auto shifts or the 3.5L engine doesn't work properly, that's a defect that should be addressed.

If someone doesn't like the fact that it shifts a lot or that it ONLY has 390 hp or that it doesn't come with a manual transmission or that it's not a rock crawler - that's not a defect. That just means the Explorer isn't the right vehicle for you - even though it is the right vehicle for hundreds of thousands of others.

There is nothing "wrong" with a 290 hp V6 and 6 speed automatic. It operates the vehicle just fine. Better than a lot of similar vehicles just a few years ago. To say it "needs more work and refinement" just because it downshifts is ridiculous. Just say "I don't like it" and move on.

Ok, I don't like the current V6 engine that is in the current Explorer. I hope that Ford puts a better engine in it otherwise my days of purchasing an Explorer, which I have had for going on 20 years, are over.

There I said it.

PS, Happy now??????

Edited by harddrive747
  • Like 1

It may operate the vehicle just fine, for you, and the conditions you use it for. It does not operate the vehicle just fine for others. What's so hard to understand about this? It's like people saying the new Explorer is too big, or not big enough.

Better than vehicles from a few years ago? Depends on what particular aspects of the vehicle you speak of. Ride? Size? Features? Towing Capacity? Off-Road Capability? etc... Some things have improved, some haven't. These blanket statements people want to make, just simply aren't always true.

Everything stated, by every poster in this thread is mostly "opinion". Because you think something is adequate, doesn't mean everyone thinks it's adequate. Because it works well for someone in FL, doesn't mean it'll always work well for someone in WA. Some magz praise the Explorer, some dislike the Explorer. Some buyers like/love the Explorer, some buyers opt for an Acadia or Pilot, or what not.

Again, the '11 Explorer is a nice vehicle. It's not the "perfect" vehicle too many here at BON want to make it out to be, but it's still good none the less. Why is this so hard to understand? I'm not dogging the Explorer, that's not my intent.

Ok, I don't like the current V6 engine that is in the current Explorer. I hope that Ford puts a better engine in it otherwise my days of purchasing an Explorer, which I have had for going on 20 years, are over.

There I said it.

PS, Happy now??????

This is my biggest pet peeve about BON. Too many of the posters want those that don't agree with them, to conform to their viewpoint. Or instead of pointing out the negatives of a particular vehicle, they want you to say you are the problem because you dislike XYZ, rather than there be info on the net pointing out these negatives.

Simply put, as your initial post stated, there's area's of the Explorer that need some improvement. Others don't believe so. That's fine, we each had differing opinions. It's like the Loyal Honda/Toyota fans that back the product, for both the goods and bads, and say that those that dislike the product are wrong and don't know what they are talking about. You have those same fans for the Blue Oval.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 2

This is my biggest pet peeve about BON. Too many of the posters want those that don't agree with them, to conform to their viewpoint. Or instead of pointing out the negatives of a particular vehicle, they want you to say you are the problem because you dislike XYZ, rather than there be info on the net pointing out these negatives.

Good grief - you still don't get it. There is a huge difference between stating facts, stating opinions and stating opinions as facts.

Simply put, as your initial post stated, there's area's of the Explorer that need some improvement.

And there we have it. Saying that something needs improvement implies there is some type of defect as opposed to saying that you just don't like something which is simply a personal preference.

What is wrong with simply saying "I want more power" or "I want less shifting"? It may seem like semantics but it's an entirely different statement.

Here are 3 extreme analogies:

I test drive a 550 hp Mustang GT500. I say that it doesn't have enough power and it needs improvement.

I test drive an EB 3.5L F150 with 11,300 lb towing. I say that the tow rating is too low and it needs improvement.

I test drive a C-max hybrid that gets 50 mpg. I say that the fuel economy is way too low and it needs improvement.

See how ridiculous those statements sound?

Big difference between "needs improvement" and "I prefer"

I have no problem with Terry expressing his opinion and giving me his comparisons of the '10 & '11 Explorer. The fact is, I almost purchased a '10 Explorer before I read the Ford News release on 7/26/10 about the new changes to the '11 Explorer. My hobby is hypermiling so I had a big interest in getting 25% better mileage than the '10 Explorer. Terry has to live with his purchase because buying a new Explorer just after buying a new '10 Explorer cannot be justified so soon. I made that mistake on the new '79 V8 Cobra Mustang and then traded it later for a just released '79 302 V8 Mustang Pace Car.

I really lucked out on getting my '11 Explorer by a member here giving me a X-Plan PIN, $500 early order, $1,000 additional incentive and $1,500 Explorer loyalty incentive. I have to thank akirby for the X-Plan PIN because that Member first offered him a PIN and I PM'd him for the PIN akirby didn't take. That made the wait for my order on 8/10/10 worth it.

All Terry has to do now is wait some time for Ford to offer something with the power Terry prefers.

• Like 1

Let me clarify - I have no problem whatsoever with someone saying I want more power or I don't like the way it shifts or I don't like the colors or whatever. That's called personal preference.

I just don't like it when someone implies that an "improvement" is needed just because the product doesn't meet their personal preferences.

If I get a F150 I'd prefer a 3.7L V6 Supercrew w/black leather interior. But they don't make it that way. You don't hear me saying they have to fix it or they're wrong for not offering it. I'll just have to get something else.

I take statements literally so I tend to be extremely anal about semantics. Sorry.

I have no problem with Terry expressing his opinion and giving me his comparisons of the '10 & '11 Explorer. The fact is, I almost purchased a '10 Explorer before I read the Ford News release on 7/26/10 about the new changes to the '11 Explorer. My hobby is hypermiling so I had a big interest in getting 25% better mileage than the '10 Explorer. Terry has to live with his purchase because buying a new Explorer just after buying a new '10 Explorer cannot be justified so soon. I made that mistake on the new '79 V8 Cobra Mustang and then traded it later for a just released '79 302 V8 Mustang Pace Car.

I really lucked out on getting my '11 Explorer by a member here giving me a X-Plan PIN, $500 early order, $1,000 additional incentive and $1,500 Explorer loyalty incentive. I have to thank akirby for the X-Plan PIN because that Member first offered him a PIN and I PM'd him for the PIN akirby didn't take. That made the wait for my order on 8/10/10 worth it.

All Terry has to do now is wait some time for Ford to offer something with the power Terry prefers.

Thank Gary for the words. As I have reviewed this week of driving my truck compared to the 11, for me I made the right choice with going with the 2010 and the V8 engine, because it has the power that I prefer. I like to think that I got my Mustang GT, because of the engine, but in a truck body. Now if Ford adds a different engine to the Explorer, like the Ecoboots 3.5 twin turbo, then I will look at it again and then make a decision if it is still for me, or not.

I will admit that I toyed with the idea of waiting for the 2011 Explorer, but I didn't want to purchase a truck that I never seen and never drove. I like to drive a vehicle before I purchase it, because I don't want a car/truck that I can't enjoy driving. I really enjoy driving. I also purchase a car/truck that will get out of its own shadow. For me that makes them fun to drive. If they aren't fun, then they stay on the lot. For me, the Explorer needs another choice of engine, beside a single V6 and the Ecoboost I4. For me the ride needs to be tighten up, which I believe Ford can improve. It just didn't feel that I had an overly solid SUV under me.

Terry your welcome.

I really don't think Ford Engineers could tighten up or make the ride any more solid in the new Explorer. With my tires at 51psi, there is no roll in cornering and thought I could even get the Curve Control System to kick in going down Magazine Mountain on some of those hair pin turns I took so fast. Could your tires have been a little low? I have the Hankook 20" tires like the ones on the Explorer you test drove and love the way they handle.

Just because I'm a hypermiler doesn't mean I drive slow. Wayne Gerdes is one of the top hypermilers in the World who visited me in Florida and we drove my '05 FEH to the 12 hour Sebring Race. He made a U turn so fast in my FEH, I thought we were going to roll over. It didn't, but I learned that day how to push a vehicle in the turns. I push all my vehicles now including my '11 Explorer, and it handles like no vehicle I've ever driven. Slowing down to take a corner causes you to burn more gas getting back to speed. We don't slow down near as much as other drivers making turns.

Believe it or not, the 3.5L in my Explorer can hold a steady state speed of 35mpg between 30 to 65mph. I can do what we call Pulse and glide, and with fuel-cut during the glide, I can get even higher MPG in that huge Explorer. One thing you would think would help save fuel, is slowly accelerating. It doesn't, if you slowly accelerate, the time it takes is very important and getting 8mpg slowly accelerating VS accelerating faster at 5 instant MPG gets you to a steady state speed faster and you saves more fuel sooner. We mark off with paint one mile on a road that is not used much to do tests accelerating with our Scangauges going the one mile from a stop. We determine at what instant MPG to accelerate for the best overall MPG. In most cases, a moderate acceleration speed will please the driver behind you and will yield better MPG overall. This is how I have fun driving my new Explorer and getting 40% better mileage than the other guy enjoying driving his new Explorer. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

About all the shifting and power opinions, I think it basically boils down to the big T word that I haven't seen anyone else mention. That would be torque. Low RPM pulling power. Twisting force. Sizable V8s are known for it and DOHC V6s aren't. Sure the Explorer's 3.5 isn't completely gutless but, 4,700-4,800 lbs. needs a considerable amount of torque to get moving from a stop or to pull a grade without downshifting. The same downshifting comparison has been made between F-250's with a Powerstroke and the F-150 EcoBoost. Someone who owns both says the Ecoboost didn't have to shift as much as the diesel did on the same hills and I highly doubt anyone in this conversation is going to say the big diesel doesn't have enough power. A new V6 Mustang has more horsepower than the last 7.3L Powerstroke but I still don't want the Mustang If I have to pull something. A Ferrari 458 Italia's engine may be absolutely amazing in that car but, it would be worthless in a SVT Raptor because it has to be revved to the moon to make any power. That's an overblown example but, it does indicate what some see as a problem with the new Explorer. It has an engine with a higher rpm power band and its a heavy vehicle. No, there is nothing wrong with 290 horsepower but, only 255 lb-ft of torque at a high rpm may be a problem for some people. After seeing the numbers on the EcoBoost model, I'm interested in test driving one myself. I know I can't get it with AWD but, the extra torque at a lower rpm has got to feel at least as good as the V6. I'm sure I could hit 30 mpg in it as well since I've gotten 27.5 mpg tanks out of my 23 mpg rated V6 model.

Now I own one myself so obviously, I can live with it as it is. I don't live in the mountains but, I do manually shift whatever I drive when I do venture north in altitude. Would I rather have the power and, more importantly, the torque of a V8? Absolutely. Do I think the 3.5 instead of the 3.7 as the base engine was a mistake? Yes I do. To me, it is senseless to put the same engine that you use in a 5 passenger FWD sedan, or CUV, in a seven passenger AWD SUV that you put a 5K lb. tow rating on. Obviously, the 3.5 was improved with a tune. I'm glad they squeezed something more out of it but, it still can't make the torque or horsepower of the bigger 3.7L. I know fuel economy was a concern but look at what happened when an M3 was run against a Prius. The hybrid was run as hard as it could go around a road course and the M3 just had to ride along behind it. The M3 got considerably better mileage because it wasn't working nearly as hard.

I'll tell you why I did buy an Explorer. I wanted an Edge and the Explorer was cheaper. It was a more versatile vehicle and my base model AWD Explorer listed for $2K less than an AWD Edge. I added the towing package just so I could have the SelectShift option for the transmission for $1500 less than buying an XLT. Instead of optioning one out to almost 50 grand, I chose to buy a base Explorer and a new Focus for roughly the same money. If you like all the bells and whistles they come with, that's great. I see half of it as something that's going to break or piss me off so it's junk to me. Just my opinion. I am also pleased with the fuel mileage that I get in such a large vehicle. For me, a 2011 Explorer was a much better option. I wanted the Flex's third row but my wife preferred the look of the Edge. The Explorer hit the mark for both of us.

I did toy with the idea of buying a 2010 V8 model. However, the last time I did the build and price on a Sport Trac before it disappeared from the website, the entry fee for the V8 stared at $40K. That's more than I wanted to spend for one daily driver. I believe GaryG mentioned the '92 4.0 being a POS and a gas hog. Well, my opinion is that the '10 4.0L is just as much of a gutless, gas hogging, POS as the older engine. I'd prefer the pushrod model since you have to pull the engine to do anything with the timing chain in the back of the SOHC models. Good riddance to both of them. That Cologne V6 had long since overstayed it's welcome. That's just my opinion but, the fact is the 3 valve 4.6 got better fuel mileage than the 4.0. That's why Ford listed the V8 4x4 numbers next the the V6 4x2 fuel ratings. Despite the V8's advantage on mileage, it still wasn't worth bragging about considering my 100 mile commute.

As far as handling, I tried 51 PSI in the tires. It made a world of difference. I have 7300 miles on mine and the tires are worn dead even at 9/32 all the way across. Yes, it did make it louder as far as road noise and its slightly harsher on bumps but, not to the point that I want to drain the tires back down. Mine came with 40 PSI and I can tell you I will never put them at 35 like the placard says. I have driven mine like I stole the thing a couple of times. There is no way the old Explorer can handle like this new one. If I had to put 5K lbs. behind it, I would probably tell you different. But, when I tow something, I'd rather have a long wheelbase truck than any short wheelbase SUV. If the new one doesn't feel solid to someone, maybe they are missing the feeling of riding in a truck. It does ride like a car because it basically is. Again, that's just someone's preference. Some people like riding around in an unloaded F-350 with 80 psi in the rear tires and getting their kidneys pounded on every bump. That's something a truck can give you but a car can't.

Maybe Ford will make some engine changes. Maybe they won't. I've already had the seed of trading in planted in my mind so, years down the road, if a more powerful model comes out I may go for it. But, I do have a Mustang and a truck that I can stick a 331 stroker in so maybe I won't. The important thing is, that someone finds a vehicle that does hit all the boxes they need. If that's a '10 or '11 Explorer, great. If it's not even a Ford, that was something they had to decide and nobody here knows their situation better than them. Although, If Ford does offer an orange model with a purple leather interior, I'll petition congress to make it illegal.

ClutchTime, you're understanding what most people have a hard time getting. You're hooked on results rather than not taking any chances just believing all the myths about tires and vehicles. I hope your tires last as long as mine which still look like new with over 13,000 miles. It sounds like you noticed the improvements in handling with 50psi and I know just how you feel now about lowering the air pressure because I was there 6 years ago with my '05 FEH. To much money and safety is being wasted because of those stupid myths that no one knows where they came from.

Have you ever washed and waxed your vehicle and seen an improvement in MPG? I haven't, but I have noticed a decrease in MPG after waxing my '09 FEH. This really sounds strange, and most people would say NO WAY! Most people would say getting 57mpg tanks in a FEH, is nothing but a bold face lie. Any time I see a sudden increase in MPG, it's because I made a change that worked. Same thing, when I have a sudden change and my MPG decreases, there was a cause. The effects of driving conditions, speed, wind, rain, cold and very hot weather can be easily explained and go without being challenged. The person that understands change can often determine the cause by repeating the change and see the same results. Time and time again I got disappointed trying to improve my mileage by waxing my '05 FEH. Somehow, I didn't understand why it was not happening because my mileage decreased and in no way did I see an increase in MPG from waxing.

Here is how I figured out the myth of having a smooth waxed paint finish on my FEH's was not working. The German TV channel VOX hired me to do a documentary on Hypermiling. BMW was giving them a before released BMW X6 Active Hybrid to do the story. This is a $103,000, 480 HP CUV that was given to the media for reviews before the release. Vox hired me to go to South Beach in Miami for filming and interviewing me, and I knew they wanted the film to include me driving my '09 FEH. I agreed a few months ahead of the Nov. 6 2009 film date so the wait was on. During that wait, I skipped washing my '09 FEH knowing I would get it detailed the day before the filming. My '09 FEH was getting real dirty during the wait, but my mileage was getting better for some reason. I log all of my tanks in my Mileage Log since new, but I didn't have any idea I was documenting a myth I was about to prove wrong. For some reason, I could not clearly explain the dirtier my FEH got, my mileage was increasing. The day before filming, I took my '09 Limited FEH and had it detailed and waxed. The next morning I drove ~80 miles to Miami and noticed a drop in MPG right away. I seen my neutral glide damaged, and a much bigger wind drag when I was getting a great tailwind.

To make a long story short, I have not washed my '09 FEH since that date. My mileage continued to improved from the 3mpg tank lost that followed after the detail for months. Other things improved my tanks since then, and a 65mpg tank is possible in the '09 FEH. The TV show Mythbuster did a show after my discovery that may explain some of my findings.