six speed ?

debodav

Just read the Federal safety officials with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have opened an investigation into the ongoing problems with the 2011 Mustang’s manual transmissions,they are built in China.Mine is scheduled for 8/22,that's about right

Just read the Federal safety officials with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have opened an investigation into the ongoing problems with the 2011 Mustang’s manual transmissions,they are built in China.Mine is scheduled for 8/22,that's about right

Can you provide the link to this article please? Does this affect the 2012s. I have a 6 speed that was built on 8 August and due for delivery on or about 19 August. Thanks.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

That is an instersting article. My car was built on 8 August and is due for delivery any day now.

My question: What fluid is the factory putting in the transmission now. As for the skip shift, it can be bypassed with a tuner or manually disconnected. I don't see how a light that recommends you up shift the transmission would ever cause hard shifting or grinding gears. LOL

That is an instersting article. My car was built on 8 August and is due for delivery any day now.

My question: What fluid is the factory putting in the transmission now. As for the skip shift, it can be bypassed with a tuner or manually disconnected. I don't see how a light that recommends you up shift the transmission would ever cause hard shifting or grinding gears. LOL

Skip Shift isn't a light, it's a electrically controlled gate that physically locks out 2nd and 3rd gear.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I read there were only a handful of complaints. More likely operator error than a problem with the transmission.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From what I read there were only a handful of complaints. More likely operator error than a problem with the transmission.

I swear if i read another " you dont know how to drive stick" responce..

i guess after driving stick since i was 15 years old (now 38) your right i dont know how to drive stick.. even though every car since i was 17 y.o. has been a stick.. my dads= 87 GT 5 speed, MINE = 88 Iroc Z 5 speed, 93 GT 5 speed,

95 GT 5 speed, 2011 GT 6 speed.. those were just mine and family's cars, not to mention ALL the others throughout the years. my moms 88 Honda Accord 5-speed , which she gave to me in 2000 and i still had up until 2 months ago when i sold it with the ORIGINAL CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION with 198,000 miles on it..

so here is my issue that I flat out REFUSE to bring my car back to the dealer UNTIL they find a fix.. yes on 3 different occasion my car has been there for the same issues..

1, Cold weather grinding 1-2 gear shift (temp under 50*) in the morning until the trans warms up.. which is about 30 - miles down the road..

2. UNABLE TO ENGAGE 1st or 2nd AT A COMPLETE STOP WITH CLUTCH TO THE FLOOR (again under 50* temp) when the car is cold in the morning.. or has been sitting for 8+ hours and the outside ambient TEMP is below 50*.

3. VIBRATING 3rd GEAR with hand on shifter.. ( no pressure just waiting for next shift)

all 3 times brought into the dealer.. and stated.. we cant replicate the problem... so i left the car in their lot one night.. showed up the next morning took the service manager AND his transmission tech for a ride.. showed him what was happening and they said.. "thats normal operation" for a transmission, even though in my entire life,, i have never had a car exhibit ANY of those symptoms..

chaning the fluid to the LIGHTHER QDC fluid that the TSB recommends will NOT fix the vibration, it MAY fix the "rough" shifting, but as for griding and complete lockout of 1st or 2nd gear at a complete STOP or slowing to a stop.. (under 10mph...i dont think so.. nor do i want to put a lighter fluid in that will cause a bearing fail, or loud whining out of my silent in gear transmission. i didnt spend $40,000 on a car to worry about the trans blowing up every time i get in it..

as of now there are more than a Handful of complains on the NHTSA website, well over 100 for both 2011 and 2012 GT's, V6, and BOSS302.

but again i suppose we all dont know how to rev match up and down shifts or know how to drive stick.. guess i should go learn how to drive stick (<<< detect any sarchasm there? cause i was laying it on pretty thick)

Edited by pony racer

• 4 weeks later...

I swear if i read another " you dont know how to drive stick" responce..

i guess after driving stick since i was 15 years old (now 38) your right i dont know how to drive stick.. even though every car since i was 17 y.o. has been a stick.. my dads= 87 GT 5 speed, MINE = 88 Iroc Z 5 speed, 93 GT 5 speed,

95 GT 5 speed, 2011 GT 6 speed.. those were just mine and family's cars, not to mention ALL the others throughout the years. my moms 88 Honda Accord 5-speed , which she gave to me in 2000 and i still had up until 2 months ago when i sold it with the ORIGINAL CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION with 198,000 miles on it..

so here is my issue that I flat out REFUSE to bring my car back to the dealer UNTIL they find a fix.. yes on 3 different occasion my car has been there for the same issues..

1, Cold weather grinding 1-2 gear shift (temp under 50*) in the morning until the trans warms up.. which is about 30 - miles down the road..

2. UNABLE TO ENGAGE 1st or 2nd AT A COMPLETE STOP WITH CLUTCH TO THE FLOOR (again under 50* temp) when the car is cold in the morning.. or has been sitting for 8+ hours and the outside ambient TEMP is below 50*.

3. VIBRATING 3rd GEAR with hand on shifter.. ( no pressure just waiting for next shift)

all 3 times brought into the dealer.. and stated.. we cant replicate the problem... so i left the car in their lot one night.. showed up the next morning took the service manager AND his transmission tech for a ride.. showed him what was happening and they said.. "thats normal operation" for a transmission, even though in my entire life,, i have never had a car exhibit ANY of those symptoms..

chaning the fluid to the LIGHTHER QDC fluid that the TSB recommends will NOT fix the vibration, it MAY fix the "rough" shifting, but as for griding and complete lockout of 1st or 2nd gear at a complete STOP or slowing to a stop.. (under 10mph...i dont think so.. nor do i want to put a lighter fluid in that will cause a bearing fail, or loud whining out of my silent in gear transmission. i didnt spend $40,000 on a car to worry about the trans blowing up every time i get in it..

as of now there are more than a Handful of complains on the NHTSA website, well over 100 for both 2011 and 2012 GT's, V6, and BOSS302.

but again i suppose we all dont know how to rev match up and down shifts or know how to drive stick.. guess i should go learn how to drive stick (<<< detect any sarchasm there? cause i was laying it on pretty thick)

i'm gonna take a couple guesses to see if i can help. i haven't worked on any of these as yet though. i have, however, recently dealt with a similar problem in a subaru forrester with a 5 speed.

what would happen(this was after a complete clutch assembly change, using all subaru parts) the transmission would lock either out of gear, or in whichever gear it was in when the problem happened.

this vehicle uses a dual mass flywheel. the replacement flywheel(from subaru) was defective, and had WAY too much play. this caused an intermittent condition preventing shifting the vehicle. regardless of where/how it locked, if the customer shut of the engine, he could place it in any gear he chose.

the funny thing here, is that i was the only person that realized it was bad, upon removal. when the customer took it to the local subaru dealer(at subaru's request), neither the service manager, lead tech, or transmission tech knew it was bad, even when the customer showed them how much extra play it had.

now, after all that rambling.....if the new 5 liters use a dual mass flywheel, this could be a possible problem. there should be nothing keeping you from downshifting into 2nd at all, even if you're going too fast, as it's a synchronized gear. 1st gear is generally not synchronized, thus it is often hard or impossible to get into this gear while moving above about 10mph.

other than that, if things are "normal", and you can't get into these two gears, it could and probably is an internal transmission problem.

hope this helps some.