IUAW General Election

dragonflayer

This is a call to all UAW members in regards to how we elect our UAW International leaders. I am tired of these leaders having no accountability for what they do. Our leaders are spending most of their time in the support of their political friends than they are the support of the membership. They showed outright disdain to the Ford membership when the last concessions were turned down, as if we didn't know what was best for us and didn't have a right to vote this money grab down! The truth of the matter is, they allowed Ford to go to the well once too often, not caring that it would be at the expense of the membership! They continue to coddle the companies for Tier-2 employees at the expense of the Legacy employees (3 Tier-2 dues-payers gets us more than 1 Legacy dues-payer). They feel confident in these practices because they know there is no way for them to be unseated, with the possible exception of infighting among themselves. I remember I was eating dinner and listening to an interview with Ron Gettelfinger when he said his is an ELECTED POSITION, I nearly choked on my Hamburger Helper! Please, we all know that is an ANOINTED position where the next president is groomed by his predecessor. Don't try to compare it to our Electoral College, our Delegate system is nothing like that (have you ever been asked by your Delegate or your local leadership who you want them to vote for?), it is closer to the way the College of Cardinals elects the Pope, an extremely small minority makes the decision for all of us with no imput from the membership. This Union needs to return to it's primary function of working for the membership's best interest. The only way we can get it back on track is to introduce accountability to these positions and the best way to do that is to have a General Election open to all UAW members for all upper positions at International. In this way, if the membership sees that a particular individual is not working in the best interest of the membership, then they may not gain re-election and possibly even be recalled in extreme situations. I invite any and all replies representing any and all positions! Let's discuss this for the good of our Union!!

• Like 2

This is a call to all UAW members in regards to how we elect our UAW International leaders. I am tired of these leaders having no accountability for what they do. Our leaders are spending most of their time in the support of their political friends than they are the support of the membership. They showed outright disdain to the Ford membership when the last concessions were turned down, as if we didn't know what was best for us and didn't have a right to vote this money grab down! The truth of the matter is, they allowed Ford to go to the well once too often, not caring that it would be at the expense of the membership! They continue to coddle the companies for Tier-2 employees at the expense of the Legacy employees (3 Tier-2 dues-payers gets us more than 1 Legacy dues-payer). They feel confident in these practices because they know there is no way for them to be unseated, with the possible exception of infighting among themselves. I remember I was eating dinner and listening to an interview with Ron Gettelfinger when he said his is an ELECTED POSITION, I nearly choked on my Hamburger Helper! Please, we all know that is an ANOINTED position where the next president is groomed by his predecessor. Don't try to compare it to our Electoral College, our Delegate system is nothing like that (have you ever been asked by your Delegate or your local leadership who you want them to vote for?), it is closer to the way the College of Cardinals elects the Pope, an extremely small minority makes the decision for all of us with no imput from the membership. This Union needs to return to it's primary function of working for the membership's best interest. The only way we can get it back on track is to introduce accountability to these positions and the best way to do that is to have a General Election open to all UAW members for all upper positions at International. In this way, if the membership sees that a particular individual is not working in the best interest of the membership, then they may not gain re-election and possibly even be recalled in extreme situations. I invite any and all replies representing any and all positions! Let's discuss this for the good of our Union!!

That's the way the teamsters elect.--- When they are elected by the membership they would work for the membership*****

• Like 2

It should be one member, one vote for all positions. Should also include those lifetime appointments that are so quickly filled with those that follow the party lines. NO ONE should be moved up to the international without the vote, and blessing of the membership of the facility they work at. I personally am tired of the people that members wanted out, being taken upstairs to protect them. Make these fools earn the position, and make them continue earning it if they wish to keep it.

• Like 4

We tried this at the recent Constitutional Convention. It didn't pass. For the most part, the delegates, which the rank and file elected at their own locals, didn't vote for that to happen. If you can't elect the delegates that will support and promote the referendum vote on the IUAW, you will never get it to pass. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I vote for it but we were short on the delegates necessary to get it on the floor. Speak to you local delegates to the Convention about it.

• Like 3

Fantastic post! Have you ever attempted to call your international rep? Mine was very angry that I had the nerve to take up a few minutes of his time. I would drive 10 hours to show up for that vote.

• Like 3

Fantastic post! Have you ever attempted to call your international rep? Mine was very angry that I had the nerve to take up a few minutes of his time. I would drive 10 hours to show up for that vote.

Its time the membership takes the union back from the aristocrats that are trying to ruin it today..

• Like 1