Looking for F-150 Buying Advice

monte

Hi all,

I am in the market for a newer truck to replace my 1999 F-150. I plan to pull a travel trailer weighing GVW around 6500-7000 lbs. I have a lot of questions that my dealer cannot answer.

1. Is the F150 acceptable? (big enough)

2. What option for a rear-end do I need to look into?

Thanks,

Monte

Hi all,

I am in the market for a newer truck to replace my 1999 F-150. I plan to pull a travel trailer weighing GVW around 6500-7000 lbs. I have a lot of questions that my dealer cannot answer.

1. Is the F150 acceptable? (big enough)

2. What option for a rear-end do I need to look into?

Thanks,

Monte

1. The F150 is acceptable, but how happy you will be depends on where you will be towing. Is it flat? Mountainous? If the answer is mostly flat, then you would be perfect with the EcoBoost F150. If it is more mountainous or hilly terrain, you would be happier with an F250 diesel. Also, if you tow only occasionally, the F150 is a better daily driver than the F250. The F250 will be better fuel economy while towing, less when empty. The F250 will be ~$10k more expensive.

2. I would get 3.73 in an F150 if I planned to tow that load.

A little background...I came from an F150 towing a ~5k lb travel trailer, and now tow an ~8k fifth wheel with my F250 diesel. The F250 tows SOOOOO much easier with the diesel, but the 3.5 EB in the F150 is also worlds ahead of the 5.4 in my F150.

In summary, if you aren't towing that load daily in the mountains, the F150 will do fine. I would recommend the 3.5 EB for your engine with 3.73 gears.

Good luck!

1. The F150 is acceptable, but how happy you will be depends on where you will be towing. Is it flat? Mountainous? If the answer is mostly flat, then you would be perfect with the EcoBoost F150. If it is more mountainous or hilly terrain, you would be happier with an F250 diesel. Also, if you tow only occasionally, the F150 is a better daily driver than the F250. The F250 will be better fuel economy while towing, less when empty. The F250 will be ~$10k more expensive.

2. I would get 3.73 in an F150 if I planned to tow that load.

A little background...I came from an F150 towing a ~5k lb travel trailer, and now tow an ~8k fifth wheel with my F250 diesel. The F250 tows SOOOOO much easier with the diesel, but the 3.5 EB in the F150 is also worlds ahead of the 5.4 in my F150.

In summary, if you aren't towing that load daily in the mountains, the F150 will do fine. I would recommend the 3.5 EB for your engine with 3.73 gears.

Good luck!

I haven't looked yet, and perhaps you might know, does the F-150 3.5 EB require premium fuel? For my Flex, Ford recommends premium, so I am thinking that would be the case here as well. Thanks again for your answers. My brother tows a fifth wheel and is trying to talk me into a 3/4 ton truck :)

Monte

I haven't looked yet, and perhaps you might know, does the F-150 3.5 EB require premium fuel? For my Flex, Ford recommends premium, so I am thinking that would be the case here as well. Thanks again for your answers. My brother tows a fifth wheel and is trying to talk me into a 3/4 ton truck :)

Monte

The EB does not require premium, but it is recommended for heavy towing. Flat, you won't need premium, but I would use premium if towing in the hills/mountains.

For towing a fifth wheel, I would have nothing but a 3/4 ton (or larger). For a travel trailer, especially in the weight range you are in, 1/2 ton will be fine.