1989 Taurus GL

bobbyd

I need to replace the control arms on my 1989 Taurus GL. I know its much cheaper doing it on my own, but I'm not mechanically inclined. Firestone Service quoted me a price of $430 including wheel alignment. I priced the parts for $39 each side at a number of local parts outlets, but the service station won't let me use the parts. Isn't $430 a little too much? Any suggestions?

THANKS FOR RESPONDING. I'VE BEEN DRIVING HER (GERTY) AND SHE SEEMS FINE WITH NO THUMPS OR CLUNKS. I JACKED THE CAR UP AND PULLED ON THE WHEEL...NO LOOSENESS. I'M NOT SURE IF THE SERVICE GUY WAS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY ON ME OR NOT. I WILL BE CAREFUL WHEN DRIVING HER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I ONLY DRIVE ABOUT 60 MILES TOTAL A MONTH BEING RETIRED. I'M WAITING TO ORDER THE 2013 TAURUS...DEALER CAN'T GIVE ME AN ORDER DATE...YET.

better off going to a general car repair site, since no one replied.

• 3 months later...

Control arms will probably run you $50 per side for parts only if you buy them on your own from the Part store. Labor is probably 1.5-2 hours.

Either the ball joints or the bushings that are inboard that clamp onto the subframe are probably due for replacement. The strut rod bushing is also known to wear out.