winter tires?

DrX

As you all know winter is almost here, my question is can you go down a tire size? I have a titanium with the 18 " summer tire package, I want to get a set of 17" wheels and snow tires with all the sensors to use this winter. Is it possible to do, or do I need to stay with 18 " wheels. :reading:

As you all know winter is almost here, my question is can you go down a tire size? I have a titanium with the 18 " summer tire package, I want to get a set of 17" wheels and snow tires with all the sensors to use this winter. Is it possible to do, or do I need to stay with 18 " wheels. :reading:

According to large retailers like Tire Rack, they say you can go down to 17" wheels, 16" wheels AND 15" wheels (15's are offered on the S, and in this fitment will sacrifice some speedometer accuracy).

I've asked my dealer this one, and they don't seem to agree with the 15" option. I've seen a few folks on other forums ordering the 15" wheels, but after that I haven't *seen* anyone actually mounting them on their cars. One person said they were sticking with 18" wheels only because of looks. I'm personally uncomfortable running the 15" wheels only because anything with rear disc brakes have at least 16" wheels, and that would suggest to me that there was a reason behind it. I've asked my dealer to do a test fit, but I haven't heard back from them yet. My tire source suggests 15" wheels can work, according to his wheel source, but again, no one has gone out and done it yet.

I'm leaning towards the 16's.

According to large retailers like Tire Rack, they say you can go down to 17" wheels, 16" wheels AND 15" wheels (15's are offered on the S, and in this fitment will sacrifice some speedometer accuracy).

I've asked my dealer this one, and they don't seem to agree with the 15" option. I've seen a few folks on other forums ordering the 15" wheels, but after that I haven't *seen* anyone actually mounting them on their cars. One person said they were sticking with 18" wheels only because of looks. I'm personally uncomfortable running the 15" wheels only because anything with rear disc brakes have at least 16" wheels, and that would suggest to me that there was a reason behind it. I've asked my dealer to do a test fit, but I haven't heard back from them yet. My tire source suggests 15" wheels can work, according to his wheel source, but again, no one has gone out and done it yet.

I'm leaning towards the 16's.

The only issue with smaller wheels is whether they will fit over the brake calipers. I don't think the titanium has larger brakes so any of the stock Focus wheel and tire sizes should work. Personally I'd go with 17" to be safe and I think they'll look better than 16s or 15s but still have a large selection of wheels and tires.

I also have the THP, and I ordered 17" Drag DR-9 wheels and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 in 215/50R-17 size. I'm hoping I like the Michelins. I had been using the Hankook iPike W409 on my 2005 Mazda3 for the last 3 winters of its life, and they were excellent, especially for their price. The wheels are in and I'm waiting on the tires to arrive. Once I have them and they're mounted, I'm taking them home to wax up the wheels, and then I'll have Discount Tire mount them up for me in November sometime.

I`m pretty sure the 15`s will fit. If the S model comes with 15`` steel wheels and it fit over the front calipers, they should fit on the back seeing those calipers are smaller. I guess I`ll find out, I just ordered 15`` steelies with the General Altimax Arctic`s to use this winter. Consumer reports ranked it second after the X-ice XI and people on tire rack give it great reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...