Winds Change To Ford

Grim Reaper

This whole negotiation season is like a rollercoaster.

GM or Chrysler, Chrysler or GM, the Sergio letter to King, UAW makes huge gains at GM, Sergio says GM agreement is too rich etc...

This is a break point or a pivotal point in our futures. It does not sound like Chrysler is neither going good nor will they budge to agree to the well bargained GM agreement

Chrysler may want to test the waters in arbitration.

Thats where we are a part of this possibility. Ford may want to drag on negotiations to see what happens in Chrysler arbitration. The UAW could set a deadline and Ford will not budge.

You guessed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we may be on strike soon.

I am not stoking fear but a possibility of a strike is getting greater by the day.

Plan our budgets, $200 strike pay is not much so plan for it

Odds are getting better by the day; we may need to do this to help our brothers and sisters at Chrysler

Be ready, we should see strike plans soon from our local leadership

Grimshaw

Edited by Grim Reaper
  • Like 2

A strike against Ford would be a very stupid move from the union. :banghead:

Why would it be stupid, if the IUAW explains to the public why there was a strike? I don't think the public is going to refuse to buy an F150 just because there was a 5 day strike, lets be real.

We would not be striking for the benefit of people that don't work for Ford, we would be striking for the benefit of our jobs and middle class way of life. I could care less what the public thinks about me striking. Fact of the matter is, is that Ford didn't take bailout money, the public knows we haven't took raises since 2004-2005, public knows we took over 30k in concessions in 2007, public knows we are a strong company that builds nice quality products. I think the public cares about the products they are buying and not if we go on strike.

Also if we went on strike and got more money, that money doesn't really reflect the cost of the vehicle. It only reflects POSSIBLY new investments. Hourly pay only makes up not even 10 percent of the cost of building the vehicle.

I look at it this way. They are closing plants anyway, they have many people laid off anyway (Trades), the cost of a Focus is the same as it was 3 years ago anyway!..

How will a strike hurt us? Please if your going to make that statement, add reasons why and make them valid so we can examine them to see if your right.

A no vote doesn't mean we will strike, it only means that we are showing the company that "WE CAN", and that if they don't make the contract more attractive then we may walk. Simple as that.

I guarantee you, that if you walk for 5 days, you'll get everything back we gave up and then some.. I would bet my life on it. You can look in the past to see that I'm right about this. Anytime we went on strike in the past we got what we wanted.

Edited by novoter4life
  • Like 2

Why would it be stupid, if the IUAW explains to the public why there was a strike? I don't think the public is going to refuse to buy an F150 just because there was a 5 day strike, lets be real.

We would not be striking for the benefit of people that don't work for Ford, we would be striking for the benefit of our jobs and middle class way of life. I could care less what the public thinks about me striking. Fact of the matter is, is that Ford didn't take bailout money, the public knows we haven't took raises since 2004-2005, public knows we took over 30k in concessions in 2007, public knows we are a strong company that builds nice quality products. I think the public cares about the products they are buying and not if we go on strike.

Also if we went on strike and got more money, that money doesn't really reflect the cost of the vehicle. It only reflects POSSIBLY new investments. Hourly pay only makes up not even 10 percent of the cost of building the vehicle.

I look at it this way. They are closing plants anyway, they have many people laid off anyway (Trades), the cost of a Focus is the same as it was 3 years ago anyway!..

How will a strike hurt us? Please if your going to make that statement, add reasons why and make them valid so we can examine them to see if your right.

A no vote doesn't mean we will strike, it only means that we are showing the company that "WE CAN", and that if they don't make the contract more attractive then we may walk. Simple as that.

I guarantee you, that if you walk for 5 days, you'll get everything back we gave up and then some.. I would bet my life on it. You can look in the past to see that I'm right about this. Anytime we went on strike in the past we got what we wanted.

The public could give a shit what the IUAW says any strike is about. I don't know very many nonunion people, who are open minded about anything organized labor says they're fighting for, and it's fucking naive as hell to think that they're going to start now. Since the majority of nonautomotive people I know either don't get regular raises, or haven't since the start of the recession, with what raises they get being merit raises (in others, kiss up or don't get anything), and still have a shitty opinion of all unionized blue collar workers, they could care less that the rank-and-file haven't had a raise in years, and gave up break time, and COLA (which every single nonunion, nonautomotive person I know hates with a passion), etc. As long as the transplants stay in business with nonunion work forces, the IUAW is never going to have much credibility with the public.

And you might not care what the public thinks, but that same public's collective ass needs to be kissed as potential customers. Or we all watch them head back to Toyota, Nissan, Honda, et al.

• Like 2

The public could give a shit what the IUAW says any strike is about. I don't know very many nonunion people, who are open minded about anything organized labor says they're fighting for, and it's fucking naive as hell to think that they're going to start now. Since the majority of nonautomotive people I know either don't get regular raises, or haven't since the start of the recession, with what raises they get being merit raises (in others, kiss up or don't get anything), and still have a shitty opinion of all unionized blue collar workers, they could care less that the rank-and-file haven't had a raise in years, and gave up break time, and COLA (which every single nonunion, nonautomotive person I know hates with a passion), etc. As long as the transplants stay in business with nonunion work forces, the IUAW is never going to have much credibility with the public.

And you might not care what the public thinks, but that same public's collective ass needs to be kissed as potential customers. Or we all watch them head back to Toyota, Nissan, Honda, et al.

Yes you are correct. The union has been bashed by the media and put us in a bad view with the public. If there was a strike we would not get any support from the media and in turn the public would turn on us

• Like 3

The union, and the company would take a public image hit pretty badly. As a single parent, I can use everything they will give me. I also have no interest in watching Ford take a shit. Just saying...

Mr. President won't let that happen because of upcoming election ,so save your money ,we the people will strike ,if they give us that shit Gm contract almost read the whole thing,and they promise to give back when they start to make a profit to hourly but no only salary got back what they took .Just saying too

• Like 1

Mr. President won't let that happen because of upcoming election ,so save your money ,we the people will strike ,if they give us that shit Gm contract almost read the whole thing,and they promise to give back when they start to make a profit to hourly but no only salary got back what they took .Just saying too

oh do u uaw workers know that iuaw voted themselve a raise and have their own health care and pension plus from our union dues plus they get one from ford too ,like ours health and pension after five years in Iuaw,that why they allowed the company to take .also they have cola too .

who cares ,they don't have any credibility with their UAW Workers ,we gave what they wanted to save the company and they promise to not reopen the last contract after the last takeaways in 2007 and then they reopen in 2009 and try to take more and right to strike ,saying they needed to compete against transplant ,and they were losing money ,we voted it down a week later they announced billions dollars profits,how can u trust these people now.Who selling the most cars now ,its in your monthly maz...ine ,they toyota nisson honda ,et al.they alway be uo their until we tax their cars like they tax ours and people become loyal to their country ,just 9-11-2001 did for us and pearl harbor ,it woke up a sleeping giant.

• Like 1

Len, you are right. We haven't done a good job promoting ourselves about who we are and what we do. I think that is changing, but we are not there yet and it still needs a lot of work. My local does a lot for the community, for seniors and veterans, etc. But, it is rarely in the media. On the flip side, the media shows our good wages and benefits and then shows a few people like Gary as our alternative "leader" talking about we need all our money back right now. This is in a nation with 9% unemployment, wages that have dropped and people who have little to no benefits. So, the media shows us as greedy bastards to the public.

• Like 5

who cares ,they don't have any credibility with their UAW Workers ,we gave what they wanted to save the company and they promise to not reopen the last contract after the last takeaways in 2007 and then they reopen in 2009 and try to take more and right to strike ,saying they needed to compete against transplant ,and they were losing money ,we voted it down a week later they announced billions dollars profits,how can u trust these people now.Who selling the most cars now ,its in your monthly maz...ine ,they toyota nisson honda ,et al.they alway be uo their until we tax their cars like they tax ours and people become loyal to their country ,just 9-11-2001 did for us and pearl harbor ,it woke up a sleeping giant.

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is the kind of statement (and I wanted to use a very undiplomatic word instead) that riles nonunion people up, and makes them even more anti-union. Hell, I've heard very anti-UAW comments, including harsh words directed at the membership itself, and not just the leadership, from members of other unions, including blue collar unions. I personally know people working for the big food processing companies in Ohio, members of the The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, that work at Campbell's in Napoleon and Hienz in Fremont, that drive Honda's and have public stated that they will never buy a UAW or CAW built vehicle. I know another guy who grew up in a union household, whose dad worked for Goodyear and was a member of the United Rubber Workers (before they merged with the United Steel Workers) who is not only anti-union, but vehemently anti-UAW/CAW and will only buy a car from the transplants. So do all three of his kids and his wife.

I know ground workers for Delta, at Detroit Metro, whose dads worked hourly for Chrysler, who will only buy Hyundai or Kia, because it was the only new cars they could afford after all their pay cuts, and who think there shouldn't be a Tier Two hourly pay level - they think all the seniority employees should have taken pay cuts down to that level, like they claim they did (and I don't know for any fact that they really did get cut that bad). That's the latest version of "Solidarity Forever"? Give me a fucking break.

Hourly or salaried, all of us with the Detroit Three have lost allies in the middle class. Some of them our very neighbors.

Len, you are right. We haven't done a good job promoting ourselves about who we are and what we do. I think that is changing, but we are not there yet and it still needs a lot of work. My local does a lot for the community, for seniors and veterans, etc. But, it is rarely in the media. On the flip side, the media shows our good wages and benefits and then shows a few people like Gary as our alternative "leader" talking about we need all our money back right now. This is in a nation with 9% unemployment, wages that have dropped and people who have little to no benefits. So, the media shows us as greedy bastards to the public.

Well said. Very well said. I haven't seen a decent PR job from the IUAW in, let's see....ever?

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is the kind of statement (and I wanted to use a very undiplomatic word instead) that riles nonunion people up, and makes them even more anti-union. Hell, I've heard very anti-UAW comments, including harsh words directed at the membership itself, and not just the leadership, from members of other unions, including blue collar unions. I personally know people working for the big food processing companies in Ohio, members of the The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, that work at Campbell's in Napoleon and Hienz in Fremont, that drive Honda's and have public stated that they will never buy a UAW or CAW built vehicle. I know another guy who grew up in a union household, whose dad worked for Goodyear and was a member of the United Rubber Workers (before they merged with the United Steel Workers) who is not only anti-union, but vehemently anti-UAW/CAW and will only buy a car from the transplants. So do all three of his kids and his wife.

I know ground workers for Delta, at Detroit Metro, whose dads worked hourly for Chrysler, who will only buy Hyundai or Kia, because it was the only new cars they could afford after all their pay cuts, and who think there shouldn't be a Tier Two hourly pay level - they think all the seniority employees should have taken pay cuts down to that level, like they claim they did (and I don't know for any fact that they really did get cut that bad). That's the latest version of "Solidarity Forever"? Give me a fucking break.

Hourly or salaried, all of us with the Detroit Three have lost allies in the middle class. Some of them our very neighbors.

Well said. Very well said. I haven't seen a decent PR job from the IUAW in, let's see....ever?You work for one of the Detroit Three Len? I know you told me before, but, what is it that you do again??

Well said. Very well said. I haven't seen a decent PR job from the IUAW in, let's see....ever?

Len, you hit another one out of the park. Good post

• Like 1

This whole negotiation season is like a rollercoaster.

GM or Chrysler, Chrysler or GM, the Sergio letter to King, UAW makes huge gains at GM, Sergio says GM agreement is too rich etc...

This is a break point or a pivotal point in our futures. It does not sound like Chrysler is neither going good nor will they budge to agree to the well bargained GM agreement

Chrysler may want to test the waters in arbitration.

That’s where we are a part of this possibility. Ford may want to drag on negotiations to see what happens in Chrysler arbitration. The UAW could set a deadline and Ford will not budge.

You guessed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we may be on strike soon.

I am not stoking fear but a possibility of a strike is getting greater by the day.

Plan our budgets, $200 strike pay is not much so plan for it

Odds are getting better by the day; we may need to do this to help our brothers and sisters at Chrysler

Be ready, we should see strike plans soon from our local leadership

Grimshaw

Maybe that explains why the UAW is going to Fords?

• Like 1