Power Steering Question

HoustonPerson

EPAS Can it be adjusted by the Dealer?

If I have one complaint about the power steering it would be: It is excessively “over sensitive” at hi-way speed (60-70MPH), on flat concrete with zero wind. All other driving conditions it is fair to ok.

If I let go of the steering wheel the truck will drive straight and true; but if I touch the wheel and move it the smallest amount (say ¼” either direction), the truck will take off and move 2-3 feet. I guess another description would be “Super Power Steering” or “Power Steering Overkill”. There are times it is actually spooky.

Is there some type of easy adjustment the dealer can make to tone it down, and make the Power Steering more “Normal” and not be so Super Assisted?

Only have about 800 miles on the truck and it has been that way since I got it.

Edited by HoustonPerson

EPAS Can it be adjusted by the Dealer?

If I have one complaint about the power steering it would be: It is excessively “over sensitive” at hi-way speed (60-70MPH), on flat concrete with zero wind. All other driving conditions it is fair to ok.

If I let go of the steering wheel the truck will drive straight and true; but if I touch the wheel and move it the smallest amount (say ¼” either direction), the truck will take off and move 2-3 feet. I guess another description would be “Super Power Steering” or “Power Steering Overkill”. There are times it is actually spooky.

Is there some type of easy adjustment the dealer can make to tone it down, and make the Power Steering more “Normal” and not be so Super Assisted?

Only have about 800 miles on the truck and it has been that way since I got it.

Since there is almost no assist at that speed, you should probably have your alignment checked. And lose the junk michelins.

Since there is almost no assist at that speed, you should probably have your alignment checked. And lose the junk michelins.

I wish there was “no assist” at hi-way speed. I am much more inclined to think the “power assists” is 100% “ON” the instant the steering wheel is touched. AFAIK the alignment and tires are fine. All things mechanical look fine.

I wish there was no assist at hi-way speed. I am much more inclined to think the power assists is 100% ON the instant the steering wheel is touched. AFAIK the alignment and tires are fine. All things mechanical look fine.

Doesnt matter how it 'looks'. You can sort of see toe and camber issues, but caster being too low can cause skittishness on the road. TOE could be off causing skittishness for that matter. There is NO WAY to verify caster other than with alignment equipment wether it is a $100k state of the art aligment machine or a $100 bubble. HAVE IT ALIGNED PROPERLY. Not just 'green and go'. Be sure as CT said, the tire pressures are set to the door placard. IT may have issues with the EPAS, but properly operating, there should be no/almost no assist at speed. The software is not that much different from the VAPS software that other vehicles used.

Its under warranty for adjustments for 1 year/12k miles. Have it aligned. Camber should be -.2 deg left, -.4deg right + or - .75 deg. Caster 3.8deg left, 4.2 deg right + or - 1.0 deg. Total toe is .20 deg. IF caster has to be off, make it MORE rather than less. INSIST on a printout of before and after specs. Almost all computerized machines can do this. It can be within specs but drive like poo.

Oh and lose the junk Michelins.

On edit: There should be .1 deg more on caster on each side for your 2 wheeler. I gave you 4 wheeler specs.

Edited by YT90SC

I will be going on an extended 500-600 mile trip the next few days. If it still bothers me, I will take to the dealer and see if anything can be done about it. If I were to guess it is either a software (maybe wiring) problem or a steering gear problem (switches sensors etc). It’s ashamed they don’t catch this stuff at the factory.

On the return trip from Dallas, it looks like the EPAS has fixed itself. The 100% power assist it had at hi-way speed, is now reduced by 80% or more. Nice tight and firm, more or less like it should be; it now has a very nice feel to it. Still turns a little too quick for my taste at that speed; but at least now it does not feel like sliding around on ice all the time or like driving in strong wind when there is none.

Now with 1,400 miles on the truck maybe all the parts and electronics had to break themselves in? I have no idea?

• 1 month later...

On the return trip from Dallas, it looks like the EPAS has fixed itself. The 100% power assist it had at hi-way speed, is now reduced by 80% or more. Nice tight and firm, more or less like it should be; it now has a very nice feel to it. Still turns a little too quick for my taste at that speed; but at least now it does not feel like sliding around on ice all the time or like driving in strong wind when there is none.

Now with 1,400 miles on the truck maybe all the parts and electronics had to break themselves in? I have no idea?

The EPAS I have is sensitive but I love it. It holds the truck streight in winds with little input. ASK YOUR DEALER if things dont feel right. OR....you could be like the little OL lady I talked with a while back who bought a brand new LINCOLN MKS with an ecoboost....HER OLD car was a lincoln town car from the mid 90s...She told me the car won't stay on the road and she felt like she was wrecking all the time. I drove it as she ask me for some help...she was actually scared of it at times so she said.....NOTHING wrong with the car.....I went with her and I realized she was overcorrecting every move she made was drastic...she was used to the LOOSE steeing of the old lincoln. She would change lanes and about run off the road.. She was scary to ride with. THE CAR was a rocket ship with precise stering...NOT for her.