Ford Edge Versus the Pontiac Torrent (Or Chevy Equinox)

spacescape

I am about to grab a deal on a Envoy but much soul searching last night reminded me that I'm going from a 5 passenger gas hog (2004 Explorer) to another 5 passenger gas hog (2006 Envoy). So, I think I'm going to back out of the deal.

I might order a Edge and hope for the best on leasing prices. However, Ford doesn't seem to say much more than "mid 20's" as far as gas millage. Is that 18/24 or is that 20 city / 26 highway. Who knows.

Second complaint is WHY didn't ford put a third row in right off the bat on Edge's. The new GMC Acadia is going to have 8 passenger's right off the bat (I think standard seating) so hopefully ford quickly follows suit.

Ok now back to my original question. Seeing the Pontiac Torrent (and Chevy Equinox) seats 5 and the Ford Edge Seats 5 what makes the Edge better? I can get an Torrent for about $10 more a month over the Envoy deal and even those the Envoy is technically a "NICER" seeing it comes w/ more standard features over the Torrent it gets 19 CITY and 24 HIGHWAY (AWD models get 18 city and 23 highway). This seats as much as the Envoy and my current explorer but gets better gas millage (15 City / 22 Highway). Not to mention, seems comparable to the seating size.

Should I jump on a Torrent? Or order an Edge?

Oh, and even though my lease is due on the 6th of August I can extend it until October. But, if I order an Edge I can extend it until my car comes in or some good deals happen w/ the Freestyle or Pacifica or even a minivan.

Bill

1) The Equinox is built on a Saturn Vue platform and has a push rod engine.

2) 3.4 liters and only 185 hp compared to 3.5 liters and 265 hp

3) Even though we don't know the Edge's mpg yet, I can promise you it will be no worse than the Equinox's 18/23.

4) The Equinox has the same cheesy little console-ette with shifter where it looks like it comes out of the lower dash instead of the floor. Looks low-rent.

5) Buy the equinox because you can save serious $$$. It's a step below and Escape, and a few steps below the Edge.

1) The Equinox is built on a Saturn Vue platform and has a push rod engine.

2) 3.4 liters and only 185 hp compared to 3.5 liters and 265 hp

3) Even though we don't know the Edge's mpg yet, I can promise you it will be no worse than the Equinox's 18/23.

4) The Equinox has the same cheesy little console-ette with shifter where it looks like it comes out of the lower dash instead of the floor. Looks low-rent.

5) Buy the equinox because you can save serious $$$. It's a step below and Escape, and a few steps below the Edge.

Wow---thanks for the good info. My neighbor has a Chevy Equinox and it sounds like a sewing machine---NO JOKE!

The Acadia (and upcoming Saturn and Buick versions) are radically larger than the Edge, and seat 7 or 8. They are really large SUV or minivan replacements. The Freestyle is larger than the Edge, but the GM vehicles are even larger.

I too am considering the Edge, as well as the Mazda CX-7, The Acura RDX, the Cadillac SRX, and the 2008 Mercury Montego, so wish that Ford would get the information out. As big as the Acadia is, it would cost less to buy fuel for it than for the CX-7 or RDX, since both of them have turbo-charged fours which don't work well in 4,000 pound vehicles, so use too much premium fuel. Ford is supposedly are taking orders for the Edge now, but I have been unable to find any order guides, and the mileage data is still not available. I will go to a dealership this weekend to see if they know anything, but they usually only want to push what they have in stock.

Edited by FStephenMasek

"Wow---thanks for the good info. My neighbor has a Chevy Equinox and it sounds like a sewing machine---NO JOKE!"

I got to go to a market survey and drive an Equinox, Vue, CR-V, and Sorento each on a 15 mile loop. The Sorento was by far my favorite - it looked and felt solid. A friend bought one and it only gets 16 around town. The Vue had the Honda V-6 and was a rocket compared to the others, but that mini-console is SOOO cheap looking. Equinox had same cheap interior with an equally cheap engine, but it was still miles ahead of CR-V. The CR-V was suprisingly quick for a 4-banger but the dash looked cheaper than the GMs and the doors sound like they were made from hammered aluminum cans. It was the first Honda I had driven in years, and it was a distant 4th to the others. I have no idea what all the excitement is about.

the one number I saw for MKX AWD mileage was 20/27 mpg ...

I talk be about it here: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...c=4392&st=0

I would go with the Edge over Equinox unless you get an awesome deal (money talks)

Igor

I'm thinking of ordering the edge and "IF" a sweet deal happens w/ the Freestyle I'll jump on that due to the extra seating. I have a fairly quote on a Volvo V50 which I just love but I'm concerned about going from a Explorer to a small wagon seeing we already have a Jetta.

Bill

I think the Equinox is an Escape competitor. Besides, compared to the Edge the Equinox looks like a Yugo, horrible, dated GM styling, Wal-Mart grade cheap plastic everywhere, and just an overall throw away piece of shit.

I agree... I would rather have an edge over a Equinox or a Torrent... However, if the Torrent is $50-$60 cheaper a month I would take that instead...

the one number I saw for MKX AWD mileage was 20/27 mpg ...

I talk be about it here: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...c=4392&st=0

I would go with the Edge over Equinox unless you get an awesome deal (money talks)

Igor

If that's the case, Ford's got a definite winner on their hands. That is AWESOME gas mile for a vehicle the size of the Edge. So that brings me to this question: if an AWD Edges gets around those numbers, what sort of gas mileage could the MKZ be capable of?

Very nicely done, IMO, if these numbers turn out to be true.

The Equinox? The engine is made in China, like Bluecon said. I'll pass - the Mexican and U.S. economies are symbiotic; I can justify, sorta, a Fusion; the Chicoms are just trying to rape us.

The Edge just might hit the bulls-eye. It's smaller than the Arcadia; the sweet spot of the market doesn't need seven seats, it needs five, plus a lot of versatility. The Edge with its state of the art V-6 and maneuverable size - and frankly, stunning good looks - smells to me like a hit.

It'll probably cannibalize sales from the Freestyle; if I were Ford I'd badge up a Mercury version of the latter quick.

Edited by Jazzhead