2011 f-150 ecoboost 4126 mile transmission burned out

winterfrost

i carried gas cans for the use of gas at home in the car i had to take the gas cans out to fill them , with the truck u put then in the bed of the truck and shut the tail gate.

if it bothers u so bad that i dont use capital letters or punctuation dont read my post

did know i was in english class :happy feet:

With a truck, you still need to take them out to fill them to ensure proper grounding to prevent static buildup and explosion.

I understand not wanting to carry gas cans in the back of the Edge, but I'm not sure it's worth buying a truck just for that though. Come on, just say you wanted a truck! :)

Oh, and if you want to be taken seriously, capital letters and punctuation are a must. It's not English class here, but proper sentence structure sure makes reading and understanding what you type much easier.

For instance, I'm sure "did know i was in english class" is NOT what you meant. I bet there is supposed to be a "not" in there somewhere, and a few caps.

• Like 1

With a truck, you still need to take them out to fill them to ensure proper grounding to prevent static buildup and explosion.

I understand not wanting to carry gas cans in the back of the Edge, but I'm not sure it's worth buying a truck just for that though. Come on, just say you wanted a truck! :)

Oh, and if you want to be taken seriously, capital letters and punctuation are a must. It's not English class here, but proper sentence structure sure makes reading and understanding what you type much easier.

For instance, I'm sure "did know i was in english class" is NOT what you meant. I bet there is supposed to be a "not" in there somewhere, and a few caps.

In my state it is okay to fill them in the back of the truck bed. And with just one hand that works it is easer for me.

That is really bad news. I hate it for you, especially with so few miles. Upside is there should be no problem getting it fixed. Your truck is the same as I have been Internet shopping. Not ready to buy yet, depends a lot on what happens personally in the next few months. My wife's Edge's transmission does the "slip or skip" move occasionally. It had it's worse episode last Friday. Next oil change, I will have it checked out .

Best wishes in getting it back on the road.

I find this interesting. I have a 2012 F-150 Platinum 4x4 6.5 bed with a 5.0

I tried to find the transmission dipstick and could not. I finally went to the last resort. I read the owner's manual. Apparently, only the Ford dealer is supposed to change the transmission fluid.

This is disheartening because I have enough trouble getting them the change the oil in my wife's 09 Limited Escape V6 4x4 every 3k mi instead of 5kmi

I guess I will just have to battle them to change the oil the first 10k mi and every 30kmi after that.

I want to make this wonderful truck last a long time.

Depending upon who is in the White House, a truck like this may not be available in the next few years......

Edited by DUCKRACER

I tried to find the transmission dipstick and could not. I finally went to the last resort. I read the owner's manual. Apparently, only the Ford dealer is supposed to change the transmission fluid.

This is disheartening because I have enough trouble getting them the change the oil in my wife's 09 Limited Escape V6 4x4 every 3k mi instead of 5kmi

I guess I will just have to battle them to change the oil the first 10k mi and every 30kmi after that.

Depending upon who is in the White House, a truck like this may not be available in the next few years......

Dude, the transmission fluid will last you longer than that. If you aren't towing heavy, don't change it until 100k at least. If I remember correctly, it is 150k mile fluid.

And unless it takes > 6 months to put that 5k on the Escape, change it at 5k. Put the extra money in a savings account and put some extra money down on your next new vehicle. Changing at 3k vs. 5k is a waste of money if the car calls for 5k intervals.

The main thing I don't like with no dipstick u can't check fluid level, with the problems ford is already having with the 6 spd am wondering if some of the trouble is low fluid, suspect the same engineer that designed this did the 04 5.4 3v spark plugs plain stupid :ohsnap: Edited by kenp77

The main thing I don't like with no dipstick u can't check fluid level, with the problems ford is already having with the 6 spd am wondering if some of the trouble is low fluid, suspect the same engineer that designed this did the 04 5.4 3v spark plugs plain stupid :ohsnap:

If it isn't leaking, why do you need to check it? Just exactly where would it go if it is sealed?

If there is no dipstick it's probably because there wasn't room under the hood. That was the case with the Lincoln LS V8 also. You can probably still check the fluid level on the tranny itself but you really shouldn't need to unless you have a leak.

If it isn't leaking, why do you need to check it? Just exactly where would it go if it is sealed?

I would think it can not be totally sealed, they have to allow for expansion and contraction of the oil as it heats and cools, guess I am just old school and like to check such things?? Sorry to say I just don't have much confidence in all of fords fancy new ideas for at least 4 yrs or so of real world use.....

I would think it can not be totally sealed, they have to allow for expansion and contraction of the oil as it heats and cools, guess I am just old school and like to check such things?? Sorry to say I just don't have much confidence in all of fords fancy new ideas for at least 4 yrs or so of real world use.....

Are oil-cooled transformers vented?

But, as stated, if you don't see any fluid leaking, it's not just disappearing.

Dude, the transmission fluid will last you longer than that. If you aren't towing heavy, don't change it until 100k at least. If I remember correctly, it is 150k mile fluid.

And unless it takes > 6 months to put that 5k on the Escape, change it at 5k. Put the extra money in a savings account and put some extra money down on your next new vehicle. Changing at 3k vs. 5k is a waste of money if the car calls for 5k intervals.

Thanks for your concern.

If you start up your vehicle right after an oil change and drive it for 5kmi, without stopping, through cool, clean air on level roads, towing nothing, you'll probably need to change your oil at 5kmi. I, however, some times take short trips without getting the oil to running temp.I some times stand in traffic jams at a dead stop and idle. I some times get stuck in stop-and go traffic. I some times drive through dusty air. I some ties go uphill.

Some people call this "severe conditions" I call it real life.

Also, there is a "Green Agenda" that tries to make you feel guilty for changing oil at 3kmi.

Based on this, I will change my oil every 3k.mi

I will probably have the trans fluid changed at 30k mi to get rid of all the metal in the fluid that was caused by the gears rubbing against each other and then probably every 60 kmi after that.

Bottom line: oil/trans fluid is cheap compared to replacing a motor or trans.

Are oil-cooled transformers vented?

But, as stated, if you don't see any fluid leaking, it's not just disappearing.

As a matter of fact they r, it is a pop off type above the oil line set to let pressure off at a pre set pressure, quite similar to the one on your hot water tank.....Back in the old days before vents I have seen pressure build up for various reasons and blow the lids off sometimes would find them a 100' away.... Edited by kenp77

Thanks for your concern.

If you start up your vehicle right after an oil change and drive it for 5kmi, without stopping, through cool, clean air on level roads, towing nothing, you'll probably need to change your oil at 5kmi. I, however, some times take short trips without getting the oil to running temp.I some times stand in traffic jams at a dead stop and idle. I some times get stuck in stop-and go traffic. I some times drive through dusty air. I some ties go uphill.

Some people call this "severe conditions" I call it real life.

Also, there is a "Green Agenda" that tries to make you feel guilty for changing oil at 3kmi.

Based on this, I will change my oil every 3k.mi

I will probably have the trans fluid changed at 30k mi to get rid of all the metal in the fluid that was caused by the gears rubbing against each other and then probably every 60 kmi after that.

Bottom line: oil/trans fluid is cheap compared to replacing a motor or trans.

I'm pretty sure that 5k is the "severe conditions" change interval on the F150 and Edge. It is on our Flex. The normal interval is 7500, with 5k being severe use. We normally change ours at 6k to split the difference.

Also, there is a magnet at the bottom of the pan to catch the metal from the gears to keep it from running through your oil.

You do what you want (I'm not trying to tell you to do different). My thoughts are, Ford knows their engines and trannies better than me, so if they have faith in following the intervals in the manual, then why shouldn't I?

As a matter of fact they r, it is a pop off type above the oil line set to let pressure off at a pre set pressure, quite similar to the one on your hot water tank.....Back in the old days before vents I have seen pressure build up for various reasons and blow the lids off sometimes would find them a 100' away....

Interesting...so do they check the oil in those transformers regularly? Just playing devils advocate here. See my note above about Ford knowing their trannies better than me.

I'm pretty sure that 5k is the "severe conditions" change interval on the F150 and Edge. It is on our Flex. The normal interval is 7500, with 5k being severe use. We normally change ours at 6k to split the difference.

Also, there is a magnet at the bottom of the pan to catch the metal from the gears to keep it from running through your oil.

You do what you want (I'm not trying to tell you to do different). My thoughts are, Ford knows their engines and trannies better than me, so if they have faith in following the intervals in the manual, then why shouldn't I?

Interesting...so do they check the oil in those transformers regularly? Just playing devils advocate here. See my note above about Ford knowing their trannies better than me.

No the oil is not checked, but the transformers r just hanging on a pole not much chance of contamination, large substation trf. however do have an external oil level guage which r monitored monthly.. U have much more faith in ford than I do, remember one thing ford is in the business of selling trucks and if they can get any drivetrain component to 60K before it fails they r happy repair is on the customer, if ford was real confident in their drivetrains u would have a 10yr 100K warranty like kia........

No the oil is not checked, but the transformers r just hanging on a pole not much chance of contamination, large substation trf. however do have an external oil level guage which r monitored monthly.. U have much more faith in ford than I do, remember one thing ford is in the business of selling trucks and if they can get any drivetrain component to 60K before it fails they r happy repair is on the customer, if ford was real confident in their drivetrains u would have a 10yr 100K warranty like kia........

Yeah, it's a conspiracy. They design their components to last 1 day or 1 mile past the end of the warranty, so that person will buy another new vehicle. That just makes SOO much sense! :rolleyes:

You know, that's the reason Ford sells more trucks than GM or Ram...Ford's drivetrain warranty ends at 60k instead of 100k. If they would just go back to a 36k warranty, they would sell even MORE trucks!

Now, do you REALLY think that makes sense? Someone whose engine or tranny craps out the day after the warranty expires is going to go buy a new vehicle of the same make? Ford designs their engines to last 150k miles, not 60k.

And Ford doesn't have that long warranty because they don't need it to sell vehicles.

Yeah, it's a conspiracy. They design their components to last 1 day or 1 mile past the end of the warranty, so that person will buy another new vehicle. That just makes SOO much sense! :rolleyes:

You know, that's the reason Ford sells more trucks than GM or Ram...Ford's drivetrain warranty ends at 60k instead of 100k. If they would just go back to a 36k warranty, they would sell even MORE trucks!

Now, do you REALLY think that makes sense? Someone whose engine or tranny craps out the day after the warranty expires is going to go buy a new vehicle of the same make? Ford designs their engines to last 150k miles, not 60k.

And Ford doesn't have that long warranty because they don't need it to sell vehicles.

There u go bouncing off the wall again, I think u know what I mean, sometime check out fords re-call history they may not be at the top but they won't be far off, and that doesn't even count the design issues they refuse to address....

There u go bouncing off the wall again, I think u know what I mean, sometime check out fords re-call history they may not be at the top but they won't be far off, and that doesn't even count the design issues they refuse to address....

No, honestly, I don't know what you mean.

Recalls are typically problems that arose after the vehicle was released. What you are saying is that Ford designs parts to last just until the warranty is out, and that is just ridiculous.

No, honestly, I don't know what you mean.

Recalls are typically problems that arose after the vehicle was released. What you are saying is that Ford designs parts to last just until the warranty is out, and that is just ridiculous.

No I am not saying they design parts that way but with long service intervals, no dipsticks and now with the EPAS which is totally un-serviceable unit has to be replaced if there is a problem there will be many after warranty issues.. I hate KIA but think all of the big 3 could take a lesson from them and up the drivetrain warranties.. But like u have said until sales drop not much will happen..

No I am not saying they design parts that way but with long service intervals, no dipsticks and now with the EPAS which is totally un-serviceable unit has to be replaced if there is a problem there will be many after warranty issues.. I hate KIA but think all of the big 3 could take a lesson from them and up the drivetrain warranties.. But like u have said until sales drop not much will happen..

The parts are not serviceable because they are designed to last a long time (the life of the truck, or close to it). Will some fail? Sure, but that happens all the time.

And Kia needed the warranty because their vehicles' quality sucked! Big time! They are much better now, but people saw that warranty and thought, well, they'll fix it. But honestly, I don't want to spend all that time in the shop with my car. The extra warranty is really just a gimmick any way, as it is very limited in what it covers. Even the Ford 5/60k is very limited, and the chances of it being used are minuscule.