How to avoid a ticket in a Taurus

Since a Taurus driver, who recently ran a redlight and blamed it on the cars stuck accelerator....could I do the same thing to avoid a ticket? I read that 14 out of 350,000 owners complained they felt difficulty stopping the car and one reported the car's fault in running a redlight. I think it was over 2,000 Toyota drivers complaining about stuck accelerators....but the NHTSA eventually blamed the drivers. Lets see what happens with the Taurus issue...since our local FOX news station is referring to the "Once popular Taurus" as being investigated.

Edited by bobbyd
  • Like 2

Since a Taurus driver, who recently ran a redlight and blamed it on the cars stuck accelerator....could I do the same thing to avoid a ticket? I read that 14 out of 350,000 owners complained they felt difficulty stopping the car and one reported the car's fault in running a redlight. I think it was over 2,000 Toyota drivers complaining about stuck accelerators....but the NHTSA eventually blamed the drivers. Lets see what happens with the Taurus issue...since our local FOX news station is referring to the "Once popular Taurus" as being investigated.

Typical hack reporting-no real issue, so "let's make one".

Reminds me of an issue back when the Explorer/Firestone issue was big news. Local Boston ABC TV did a story and the slant was it was an Explorer issue-not a Firestone issue. I called the station and they put me through to the newscaster's voice mail. Basically told him it was unfair BS reporting that did not address the real issue (the tires) blah blah. To his credit, the guy called me back. Nothing changed, but I got a bit of satisfaction and who knows, perhaps the guy learned something about taking care as to whsat hewas identifying as a true problem.

Good for you for at least calling them. Did you notice that Firestone now calls themselves only Bridgestone and NEVER uses Fords in their tire commercials. Crap tire anyway!

Typical hack reporting-no real issue, so "let's make one".

Reminds me of an issue back when the Explorer/Firestone issue was big news. Local Boston ABC TV did a story and the slant was it was an Explorer issue-not a Firestone issue. I called the station and they put me through to the newscaster's voice mail. Basically told him it was unfair BS reporting that did not address the real issue (the tires) blah blah. To his credit, the guy called me back. Nothing changed, but I got a bit of satisfaction and who knows, perhaps the guy learned something about taking care as to whsat hewas identifying as a true problem.

Did you notice that Firestone now calls themselves only Bridgestone and NEVER uses Fords in their tire commercials.

The naming isn't anything new; Firestone has been a unit of Bridgestone Corporation since 1988. Ford terminated their business relations with Bridgestone/Firestone about 10 years ago and is the only major automaker to not use Bridgestone/Firestone OE tires, so that's probably why you never see Ford products in their adverts.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

There was a brief discussion of this on SHOForum, and a couple of the more mechanically-inclined guys said they were surprised it didn't happen more often, given the design of the cruise control servo/cable.

In a case of odd timing, this paper from NASA regarding "tin whiskers" and Toyota throttles was just recently presented:

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2011-NASA-GSFC-whisker-failure-app-sensor.pdf

• Like 1