2004 Escape ABS issue

46er

I am having an unusual problem with my V6 that has 115k miles on it. The ABS engages randomly when stopping from any speed, there is no pattern. It may not happen for a day or a week, and there is no warning. No ABS light is lit, nor does it come on when braking. When it happens, heavy pressure on the brake pedal is needed. The light does come on momentarily when startiing the car. There are no codes. The car has been checked and nothing was found. Anyone have any ideas; it is my wifes car and she is to the point she is very uncomfortable driving it. Thanks in advance, this has been totally baffled..

I had a similar issue with my 2006 FEH. It turned out to be the RF ABS axle sensor. Although...... I was getting codes, and the sensor was gone due to the sensor disc breaking off. I had to replace the sensor, and the axle, because my mechanic could not remove the remaining parts of the sensor disc. Seems everything was rust 'welded' together. Ahhh, Ford. Quality is Job 1.

The first few minutes driving on startup were freaky - ABS would kick in, out, in, shudder - even under acceleration - until the computer figured out something was wrong and shut the ABS system down.

Maybe the electrical connector on a sensor is intermittantly loose or failing? Maybe an ABS disc on one of the wheels needs cleaned?

Maybe the electrical connector on a sensor is intermittantly loose or failing? Maybe an ABS disc on one of the wheels needs cleaned?

Thanks. The tone rings were checked, as were the sensors. I am going to look at the electrical connections today. There was a recall, but mine was not included. If I find nothing I will change the brake fluid, but not much hope of that curing it. It's like there is a short somewhere, but I would think that would throw a code. I have been told to drive it till it's a more reliable failure, and usually will do that, but not for the brakes.

You need to find a dealership with a Vehicle Data Recorder or VDR, sometimes called a flight recorder. It is programmed with an IDS to monitor and store data when triggered by a customer. GREAT for intermittant issues. Your end of the equation is simple, when it acts up, hit the button and it will store the data from the module at the time. Then the technician can upload this data and view it as a recording on IDS. Not all dealerships have VDR's. Not all know how to use them. MOST will insist on a refundable deposit to be sure that they get their VDR back. This is probably the only way that an intermittant such as this will be found.

The data you will want to monitor are all four wheel speed sensors, the inlet and outlet valve solenoids for all four corners. IF it has RSC, you will also want YAW and steering wheel angle sensors. The trick for them will be to get as much data as possible but still have enough recording time to capture the whole event. Usually for large loads, it will have 20 seconds before and 30 after trigger, or vise versa. When you trigger it, make a note about ALL conditions at the time of trigger, with the vehicle and with the environment around it, i.e. road conditions and whatnot and if ANY aftermarket equipment is in use or installed at the time, no matter how trivial.

• Like 1

Thanks YT90SC. I had never heard of a VDR, but it sure sounds like a worthwhile tool to use. Sounds like a heart monitor. Hopefully a local dealer will have one and be farmiliar with it. Also, thanks for the suggestions on how to use it.

Might an independent shop have one of these, or just dealers?

46er, Pretty expensive component for an independant, as it is Ford family specific. There might be though, as a lot of independants buy IDS's to work on Fords. I'd just tell them (whoever you talk to) that you have a VERY intermittant issue, and heard that there might be a flight recorder type device that might work to catch it. Just ask, and be sure to explain that they wont be able to readily duplicate it, so as to not pay for further diagnostics that wont catch it.

I did a search and found a couple on EBay going for $300-350. The ones for GM are much less expensive. Also found an operators manual for the Rotunda which I will print. I appreciate your help and will post what happens, if anything.

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I posted any info regarding this problem. I have had the VDR from my Ford dealer in the Escape twice and the problem never occurred, but has at other times. I am leaving on a trip to Utah and am considering removing the fuse in the engine compartment power distribution box for the ABS in an attempt to disable just the ABS. I had a similar problem in a 1997 Explorer where a front wheel speed sensor was bad and activated ABS at speeds under 5mph. Removing the power distribution fuses eliminated the ABS activation and did not affect the braking and was easily reversible. Any commnets, pro or con, regarding doing this on the Escape and are there any other fuses that should be removed? Thanks.

I had a similar problem in a 1997 Explorer where a front wheel speed sensor was bad and activated ABS at speeds under 5mph.

Also on a 1998 E150.

Removing the power distribution fuses eliminated the ABS activation and did not affect the braking and was easily reversible. Any commnets, pro or con, regarding doing this on the Escape and are there any other fuses that should be removed? Thanks.

Pull the fuse.

If the sensors look rusty, replace them. They run about $50 each online. (Motorcraft BRAB122, BRAB123, BRAB124, BRAB125) Clean the connector well and pack the connector with silicon dielectric grease before reassembly.

Edited by theoldwizard