New Fusion is Laden With Driver Aids

safe·ty/ˈsāftē/

Noun:

• The condition of being protected from or unlikely to cause danger, risk, or injury:

Says nothing about being protected from sheetmetal damage.

That might be the case if you are only considering the safety of the driver, rather than the safety of people around the driver. I know how you feel about personal responsibility - don't you think a driver should be responsible for not crashing into pedestrians as well?

That might be the case if you are only considering the safety of the driver, rather than the safety of people around the driver. I know how you feel about personal responsibility - don't you think a driver should be responsible for not crashing into pedestrians as well?

Geez. I say X and you people hear Y.

Of COURSE the driver is responsible for crashing into pedestrians. I didn't say anything about running into pedestrians. I said that a fender bender in a parking lot isn't a safety issue.

The issue was whether a new vehicle with slightly less rear visibility is less safe. You can back up just as safely in a 2013 Taurus as a 2003 Taurus. If a driver hits someone in a 2013 Taurus then it's the driver's fault, not the vehicle. Therefore poor rear visibility is not a safety issue even though better rear visibility is a good thing.

I can't help it. Semantics are everything.

One of the things that irks me re: Consumer Reports and their visibility complaints is that they hounded the manufacturers over side-impact protection, roof crush protection, etc.

And now that vehicles are almost exponentially safer than they were a generation ago, CR is bellyaching about visibility ("The A Pillar is too wide"), and to a lesser extent, weight.

Agnes: And you, start over. I want everything in one bag.

Pimple Faced Kid: Yes, ma'am!

Agnes: But I don't want the bag to be heavy.

Pimple Faced Kid: I don't think that's possible!

Agnes: What are you, the possible police? Just do it!

"Make the roof stronger. Make the A pillar narrower. Why are cars so expensive?"

Get a clue, CR.

• Like 1