Bad Day for my Escape

digijay

While driving on the highway this morning, a piece of metal flew off a truck and bounced in front of me. I swerved and managed to avoid hitting it dead on, but it nailed the black panel on the driver's door and cracked the moulding which goes under the doors from front to back.

I was quoted $460 (incl tax) for the two parts alone from Ford. I have no idea how these attach though. Specifically the door panel, While I doubt anyone will have had to change these panels, I'm wondering has had experience with changing these types of panels before. I don't see any sort of fasteners, I wonder if it's clipped on or what?

People are just so stupid. Yesterday I was sitting at a light and next to me, preparing to enter the freeway, was some jackhole pulling a small utility trailer with sides less than a foot high and it was filled almost to the top with some landscaping bricks. It doesn't take all that big of a bump at highway speed to launch a few of them over the side of the trailer.

Today I'm at a light behind a Chevy Avalanche (with special issue fire fighter license plates) with the tailgate down and it is filled with some planks, bags of cement, a wheelbarrow and some other assorted crap. The stuff is held in with some bungee cords and the kind of thin nylon twine found at the home improvement store to "secure" your load.

If the police departments want to do the motoring public a real favor, start writing citations for improperly secured loads...they are everywhere you look.

The OP is lucky that whatever hit his car didn't take a bad bounce on the highway and fly through his windshield.