2001 Taurus Column Shifting Difficulty

bobbyd

Our 2001 Taurus is a great car. However, we really have difficulty shifting out of PARK when the car is sitting on an incline. It takes much effort to shift out of PARK to REVERSE or NUETRAL and also makes a "clunk noise". Its NEVER a problem on level surface. The transmission is fine. We are wondering where the problem is and how to fix it. The car has 59,000 miles and runs great. I thinks its in the linkage but wonder what it will cost to fix.

Sounds like the problem is you're not using the parking brake so the pawl is getting stuck from pressure. When you park on a hill, set the parking brake before you let off the regular brake and then put the transmission into park. If that's not it then it's probably the brake shift interlock switch behind the brake pedal.

How did they name it? Also...what does PAWL mean?

MOST IMPORTANTLY, we parked the Taurus in the heavily inclined driveway lastnight and followed your directions to first set the parking brake before shifting into reverse......WOW, no clunk ...no bang...no errors. It was incredible. Of course we have to remember to remove the parking brake after shifting, but it was amazing...especially after all these years of dealing with avoiding parking on any inclines. Thank you, very much!

How did they name it? Also...what does PAWL mean?

MOST IMPORTANTLY, we parked the Taurus in the heavily inclined driveway lastnight and followed your directions to first set the parking brake before shifting into reverse......WOW, no clunk ...no bang...no errors. It was incredible. Of course we have to remember to remove the parking brake after shifting, but it was amazing...especially after all these years of dealing with avoiding parking on any inclines. Thank you, very much!

Oh my. I was being sarcastic but since you asked nicely, here goes:

The PARKING brake is used when you PARK the vehicle. It holds the car against moving while it's PARKED. You should always use the PARKING brake when you're PARKED for safety. Otherwise the only thing holding the car from rolling is the parking pawl.

BTW - I hope you meant that you engage the parking brake before you shift into park, not reverse. You should stop, engage parking brake, shift to park, turn off engine. Leave the parking brake engaged until you start the vehicle again.

A pawl is just a shaft that fits into the transmission gears to prevent them from turning. Like this (but not exactly):

ratchet_pawl_big.jpg

If you just shift into park then let the vehicle roll until the pawl catches, it puts a lot of pressure on the pawl and that makes it hard to shift out of park later. Setting the parking brake prevents the pawl from binding up in the first place. Pawls can break if abused and then your car will be rolling down the hill if you don't use the parking brake.

I will make sure about using Parking brake first. Since you are a knowledgeable Ford guy, maybe you can help me with my issue on my 2013 Ford Taurus Limited. I am trying to figure out how I can manually overide the Auto Temperature control. Since I have the automatic temp control, there are times I want to turn it off, but have not been able to find any button to do so. When I have a passenger in the car and the system allows me to SET the temp for each side, the fan starts blowing to adjust and my passenger is getting hit by the blowing air. I called the dealer and Ford help....they have no answer other than...its automatic.

I will make sure about using Parking brake first. Since you are a knowledgeable Ford guy, maybe you can help me with my issue on my 2013 Ford Taurus Limited. I am trying to figure out how I can manually overide the Auto Temperature control. Since I have the automatic temp control, there are times I want to turn it off, but have not been able to find any button to do so. When I have a passenger in the car and the system allows me to SET the temp for each side, the fan starts blowing to adjust and my passenger is getting hit by the blowing air. I called the dealer and Ford help....they have no answer other than...its automatic.

Well maybe you should try the POWER (On/Off) button if you want to turn it off. This is the universal symbol for Power (on/off). It's on the left hand round control or on the Climate button or in the center button depending on which DATC system you actually have. Look for this symbol:

power-on-off-button-small.jpg

If the system is on and you want to override the auto settings, you just use the other buttons to change the fan speed or select a different vent location and it stays that way until you hit Auto again. You can usually change the dual temp settings back to a single temp setting by holding the Auto button for a few seconds.

PLEASE RTFM.