LED License Plate Lights

redwings1914

I bought some LEDs off of Amazon to swap out on the license plate lights, The passenger side install light went smoothly (less than 5 mins) although now I am having one heck of a time trying to switch the drivers side. The housing simply will not come out/budge. I'm worried I might have made it impossible to remove now while I was trying to pry it out

Any advice?

post-48925-0-18950000-1355959381_thumb.jpg

They are push in clipped into the deck lid....if you are changing the bulb, you shouldn't have to yank the entire housing assembly. If you are yanking the housing, pull down the interior felt covering and reach in to squeeze the side tabs so that the housing comes out. Disconnect the wire harness first from the housing assembly...it will facilitate the housing coming out.

EDIT: Sorry...didn't see that you were talking about a 2013....in that case...I don't know for sure, but it looks similar to my 2012 light assembly.

Edited by twintornados

How do you open the plastic cover? It looks similar to the puddle lamps under the side mirrors. I don't want to break the plastic with a screwdriver.

Take a screwdriver and slide over the tab on the right side of the light, it might take some elbow grease. Don't worry, if I didn't break it I don't think anyone will, I nearly snapped the screwdriver in two trying to open it initially

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but our company, DAYTIME BrightLites and webstore www.DriveBright.com offers a totally plug and play direct replacement LED Puddle Light for all Ford & Lincoln vehicles with the mirror puddle light feature. Our LED Puddle Light pack includes two upgraded LED puddle lights and two bright white LEDs to replace the bulbs in the license plate lamps.

We also carry several other LED lighting products made specifically for certain models, such as LED daytime running lights, LED taillights, interior and exterior model specific LED packages and high quality HID headlight replacement kits. Check them out by clicking on the image below.

ExplorerBanner_zps85c57fac.gif