Trunk floor felt material pilling/bunching badly?

howie411

So I've got multiple spots in my trunk area now that look really bad. It has gotten to the point that I now keep a towel covering the trunk area in my Escape. It seems like anything that rubs up against the trunk felt material is ruining it.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, this and the rest of the carpet in the vehicle is pretty cheap. It's already wearing on the driver's left foot rest (both the factory cloth and winter mats don't cover this area for some reason). The cloth floor mats themselves are cheap too, where the heel of my right foot rests to control the gas and brake is warn also. After only 11K miles.

I went into the doctor's office and said, doc, it hurts when I do this. He told me to stop doing that.

Before I installed a cargo cover, I didn't slide or drag hard objects across the cargo area carpet and mine looks fine. This isn't my first rodeo with Ford's recycled carpet material, so I knew it was fragile.

I went into the doctor's office and said, doc, it hurts when I do this. He told me to stop doing that.

Before I installed a cargo cover, I didn't slide or drag hard objects across the cargo area carpet and mine looks fine. This isn't my first rodeo with Ford's recycled carpet material, so I knew it was fragile.

The carpet is pathetic. Plain and simple. It's the CARGO area. You know, where you slide and drag CARGO. Ford should use more durable products in the high wear areas. Edited by Escapism

The carpet is pathetic. Plain and simple. It's the CARGO area. You know, where you slide and drag CARGO. Ford should use more durable products in the high wear areas.

I see you deleted the part of your post that stated I was blaming the OP.

Well, you know what, if what your doing is damaging the carpet, stop doing it or protect it. The carpet isn't durable and it would be nice if it was better, but it's not. You're right, it is a CARGO area and if you're going to haul "cargo", you should expect some wear.

Edited by transitman

You could have been more specific in your original post. I assumed you were loading building materials, home and garden supplies, golf clubs or other heavy, sharp items that were dragged across the carpet. If all your putting in the cargo area is grocery bags and small items and the carpet is bulging, I'd go to the dealership, perhaps it wasn't installed correctly, or glued down properly.

Gotta agree with you. If I run a vacuum cleaner over it, it looks really bad. And my right foot heel is close to putting a hole into the cheap standard floor mat after just 3K miles. Ford needs to stop admiring the good looks of the vehicle off the assembly line and start thinking about what it looks like after a few years of use (or even a few months)!

So I've got multiple spots in my trunk area now that look really bad. It has gotten to the point that I now keep a towel covering the trunk area in my Escape. It seems like anything that rubs up against the trunk felt material is ruining it. Anyone else notice this?

If the floor mat or cargo liner are wearing through or showing significat wear in less than a year or 12k miles, go by your dealer and have them order new mats, cargo liner or full carpet (for the driver foot rest problem) under your 12/12 warranty provisions. If enough warranty claims are placed against these items, Ford WILL look at providing better wearing materials in these areas for future models. If its bad enough, replacing existing vehicle materials with better ones. They did this for interior door handles on Explorer Sport and Sport trac models in 2002/3 and other times.

You need to make the warranty claim, not just complain here to get things addressed. During the first 12/12 you have full adjustment warranty, not just mechanical failure and it includes wear on upholstry and carpet.