X Plan: Dealer changed the price; Also, colors

sarcastic6

I ordered my 2013 Fusion at a local dealer on Saturday; the X-Plan pricing he came up with was within three dollars of the Ford Partner pricing site (excluding incentives). I signed a hand-written order form, paid a deposit, and was told he'd keep me updated as things progressed.

I emailed the dealer this morning asking him for the VOC, since nobody had entered the order into the computer when I was there on Saturday. He called me back at the end of the day today saying "sure, no problem, let me e-mail it to you. Oh, by the way, the price is about $300 more than what I gave you on Saturday, I was working off old numbers." I questioned him, saying the Ford site was showing me pretty much the same number as the price we had agreed to previously; however, his response was pretty much "it is what it is."

At this point, I'm really tempted to request my deposit back (it says no refunds of deposit, but it also says the old, wrong price) and going to a different dealer. Even if this guy is right and the price did somehow go up (and isn't reflected on the Partner pricing site), it REALLY bothers me that he's changing the numbers after I signed the paperwork. Am I overreacting here?

On a somewhat related note, I ended up deciding on Sterling Gray and I haven't seen any pictures of those posted here. If anyone's seen that color in person, what do you think? I was having a difficult time deciding between it, Deep Impact Blue, and Ruby Red. I suppose if I end up re-ordering, I can revisit that decision...

If you agreed to X plan pricing then you agreed to pay the X plan price as it appears on the invoice and if that changed (which is possible) then the dealer is doing nothing wrong. It would be the same if you agreed to pay dealer invoice and the invoice price went up. Those are the plan rules and the dealer doesn't have a choice.

The price will be the same no matter which dealer you use.

That would be stupid because the dealer is required to show you the invoice for your vehicle which clearly has the X plan price printed at the bottom. If the dealer tries to charge any more then the plan administrators would catch it. If the price didn't go up then it's most likely just a mistake. You could always check plan pricing with another dealer just to find out for sure.

If you agreed to X plan pricing then you agreed to pay the X plan price as it appears on the invoice and if that changed (which is possible) then the dealer is doing nothing wrong. It would be the same if you agreed to pay dealer invoice and the invoice price went up. Those are the plan rules and the dealer doesn't have a choice.

The price will be the same no matter which dealer you use.

I'm certainly not arguing that fact, I just don't understand why he couldn't figure out the correct price while I was there. It's really just the idea of changing the price after I signed agreeing to the first and he took a deposit that bugs me. And the way he just casually tossed it in there today like that's how things go -- it just doesn't inspire a lot of trust, you know?

Is the Ford Partner X-plan pricing site known to be incorrect?

I know that prices were changing as of the beginning of 2013, but I haven't been able to dig up anything that says that in writing or has the specifics. Also, like akirby said, I know that employee pricing (A or X plan) is a pretty fixed deal, where you just get charged whatever the price is that Ford established with the dealers. That being said, I don't think you're overreacting. I'd be asking for something that shows the details (not sure where this could come from).

My main reason for posting, though, is that my Fusion is in Sterling Grey. I find it to be an extremely beautiful color. It looks stunning when clean and does a pretty good job of hiding the dirt when it's dirty. The flake appears to have some silvers, golds and blues in it. Here's some photos (of somewhat questionable quality, thanks to my iPhone camera):

image_zps7a4a4f60.jpeg

image_1_zps5c4a4977.jpeg

photo_zps8b84cf1a.jpg

423304_10200302884555600_1810769384_n.jp

One more question (sorry)... the example VOCs I've seen online have two columns, retail and invoice. The VOC my dealer provided me with today just has a retail column, no invoice. Is that how it should be or is something amiss?

I have seen another user whose VOC had both columns (unknown if that was X plan), but mine only had the retail (was not X plan) -- don't know if it would make a difference as far as a VOC goes.

One more question (sorry)... the example VOCs I've seen online have two columns, retail and invoice. The VOC my dealer provided me with today just has a retail column, no invoice. Is that how it should be or is something amiss?

They need to provide you a VOC with both columns. This sounds extremely shady. I had one dealer who refused to order my car using X-Plan. I then got X-Plan prices from two other dealers. Both almost identical quotes. Ordered from one of them. VOC has both columns and A/Z, D, and X-plan pricing.

Get a quote from another dealer.

BTW, I ordered the gray. Love the color.

Edited by fusionTX

Let me clarify. I don't think the salesman handled it well whether it was a mistake or the price actually did go up. I was just pointing out that the dealer has no discretion on the X plan price - it's the price on the invoice and it's the same regardless of dealer.

It's possible there was a price increase at job 2. It's also possible the dealer was wrong. Just call another dealer and get them to confirm the correct X plan price. The prices on the fordpartner site should be correct but they simply may not have been updated yet.

bluspikez, you're right, that is a great looking color. They had an Explorer in that color on the lot but not a Fusion, so I appreciate the pictures.

Thanks for all the opinions. I'll visit another dealer tomorrow and see what we come up with. As I've been sitting around thinking about this, I think the thing that bothers me most is how my sales person handled the situation. If I can get out of my deposit (which I suspect shouldn't be an issue given the discrepancy between what I signed and the "real" price) and if I feel comfortable with the second dealer/sales person, I'll likely order from there -- even if the price is the same. Especially since the trade-in price for my current car is still up in the air (appraisal numbers are only good for 30 days) -- I'd hate for them to start playing games a second time when it comes time to finalize that bit.

Again, I appreciate all the opinions. It's nice to know I'm not completely off the reservation feeling uncomfortable about this.