2013 Fusion - Grille bar caps?

bluspikez

I've been toying with the idea of blacking out the chrome bars on the grille of my car. I'd like to leave the chrome surround, but have each bar be a gloss black instead (matching the gloss black w/ chrome surround of the lower facia on the Titanium). Looking at this photo from fordparts.com, it looks like those chrome bars are actually just caps that snap on to the main grille piece. I've confirmed that the caps do feel like they just snap on when I've been up close and personal with the grille giving it a wax job (there is a bit of play horizontally with each one).

Here's my question - for those of you who have had the bumper cover detached and hinged forward, how does the back of that grille piece look? Are there just snaps along each chrome cap that hold them on the grille? Did it appear to be easy to get to?

Also, have any of you heard of or seen any aftermarket options that would replace these caps for the grille? I haven't seen anything in my searches.

Thanks!

I've been toying with the idea of blacking out the chrome bars on the grille of my car. I'd like to leave the chrome surround, but have each bar be a gloss black instead (matching the gloss black w/ chrome surround of the lower facia on the Titanium). Looking at this photo from fordparts.com, it looks like those chrome bars are actually just caps that snap on to the main grille piece. I've confirmed that the caps do feel like they just snap on when I've been up close and personal with the grille giving it a wax job (there is a bit of play horizontally with each one).

Here's my question - for those of you who have had the bumper cover detached and hinged forward, how does the back of that grille piece look? Are there just snaps along each chrome cap that hold them on the grille? Did it appear to be easy to get to?

Also, have any of you heard of or seen any aftermarket options that would replace these caps for the grille? I haven't seen anything in my searches.

Thanks!

I have been thinking this since I got my car. The grille would look badass in black chrome or a glossy black finish. I look forward to the result if you go through with it.

the link isnt working.. and nmadole what are you doing now w/the bumper?

Ugh sorry about that, it worked when I tested it just before posting in the preview. Anyway, here's the photo that link was supposed to take you to:

RenderIllustrationashx_zps21c984de.jpg

Parts 8200B through 8200F are the "grille caps" I'm talking about. They are listed as "Grille: Chrome" on the fordparts.com site.

Edited by bluspikez

Here's another useful resource I found. It comes from a company that makes one of the first aftermarket grilles that I've seen. I'm not particularly fond of the grille, but the information in the installation instructions is pretty good. I'm glad nmadole grabbed the photos he did - the ones in this document are pretty crappy quality.

http://egclassicsinc.com/inventory/uploads/43381359-0102-13_2013_Ford_Fusion_Grille.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Did some photoshop work today because I was still thinking about blacking out the grille. I have to say, after practically seeing it on the car, I think it will be a great look. Having that consistency between the upper and lower grilles is a huge plus IMO.

I'm not a Photoshop magician so I couldn't get the gloss black look just right, but it turned out close enough to give me a good idea.

black-grille-fusioncopy_zps5cdfaa5a.jpg

• Like 1