Transmission temps while towing

altaforddealer

Hey all, I have just got a new 2013 F150 limited. Loving the truck so far but I'm seeing a few issues. While pulling about 4500 lbs I was watching my transmission temperature climb into the mid 90's Celsius 200+ Fahrenheit, I am not sure but doubtful if this truck has the max trailer tow on it, as it wasn't available as an option on this trim level but doesn't specify if it comes in it standard. I'm travelling in temperatures just below freezing to -15 Celsius. My experience and research says this temperature is too hot, can anyone give me any input as to what they're seeing and if temps that hot are ok?

The 6R80 has a thermostat built into the transmission, just above the valvebody, in the cooler circuit. They run far warmer than they used to, by design. The t-stat begins to open around 195 degrees, if I remember right so to see fluid temps slightly higher than that when towing is not anything to be alarmed about. The cooling fan should ramp up somewhere around 220 or so to help bleed off the excessive heat, again if I remember right.

• 1 year later...