Guidance in Messages Screen - FIXED! DTE too!

PajamaGuy

Took my Escape to my dealer (Acton Ford, Acton, MA) this morning with 3 issues:

1. Everything having to do with displayed MPG, DTE, Low Fuel warning - has been flat wrong. e.g. Driving 75 miles after DTE indicated "0" - and taking only 13 gal. to fill the 15.1 gal tank.
  2. NAV Guidance in messages display screen freezes when "Intelligent 4WD" info screen is selected.
  3. Both Active and Fixed Guidelines in the backup camera display, randomly but repeatedly turn OFF.

The Service guy, "Eric" said they'd apply TSB: 13-02-01 (I think that's the one) to fix the DTE, and MPG data, and that he'd research the other 2 issues while the TSB was being applied. He came back 30 min later and said he'd emailed Ford about issues 2 & 3 and would call me as soon as he had answers.

About 30 min after that, I got my 'Scape back and drove off. I now have the quad trip data screen, and the Guidance data works when ANY screen is displayed, including the "Intelligent 4WD" screen - YEAH!

Eric just called while I am typing this and he gave me the info on the disappearing rear-camera guidelines. If you start the vehicle and shift into reverse before the "system" has completed its boot process, the Guidelines will be off AND will reset themselves to OFF - and stay off until you manually turn them back on. Like when you're parked at Wal-Mart and you just hop in, start, and shift to reverse.

I have yet to test it, but that sounds plausible. If its correct, it means just waiting a few seconds after starting to let the boot process complete itself. - And Kudos to Acton Ford and Eric for following through and getting back to me.

I think I'm out of issues - and oh yeah, "I love this car!"

• Like 1

Would love my miles to empty to be proper and my Nav not driving me thru fields while on the highway and never telling me where I am. I'm at 3.5.1 and all this still occurs. I bought my escape a month ago :-/

The fix for the DTE issue and the frozen nav when viewing 4wd information is an instrument cluster update, separate from the MFT update. I believe the NAV issues would be a MFT update.

PJGuy, how much of a difference does the DTE fix make in regards to when the fuel light comes on?

PJGuy, how much of a difference does the DTE fix make in regards to when the fuel light comes on?

Don't know yet, I purposely filled the tank on the way home. (And DTE read 380 mi!) - I'll let it run until the light comes on - before the TSB it was 33-34 miles to empty.

I just had mine updated as well. It said 384 DTE miles. I have since driven 200 miles and it's down to 69 DTE miles. The gauge is showing a little below a quarter, and the light hasn't come on yet. Here in the next day or so it should finally come on. I'll let ya'll know what that is.

The fuel light came on at 35mi DTE. When I filled up, the needle was slightly about E, with 20mi DTE. I had driven ~240mi (I had just filled it up when I dropped it off at the dealership, and everything was reset when they did the update, so I probably had more like 245 trip miles), and put in 12.5 gallons. The computer showed I was getting 18.9MPG (though hand calculating it shows I got slightly more).

I don't have the paperwork yet, but I did ask for them to update my DIC/IPC and referenced TSB 13-02-01.

Question regarding the new QUAD screen after the update - i know it displays all 4 screens at once. Are you still able to scroll one by one for each individual screen if you wanted to?

Also my DTE light comes on between 50-60miles left in the tank which is early and i can barely squeeze out 250miles before fill up (this is with no update yet)

Question regarding the new QUAD screen after the update - i know it displays all 4 screens at once. Are you still able to scroll one by one for each individual screen if you wanted to?

Yes, the individual screens are still there. - One benefit is from the quad screen, hold OK to reset them all at once!

At 4,000 mi, my real average MPG is 16.88, so 15.1 gal is 254.8 miles.

Yeah, that's the right TSB - BUT - I'm not sure when my light came on for the first time after the update I wasn't driving. When I got in the car, it said 17 DTE, I ran it down to 4, then 13 gallons filled the tank. I don't think the DTE computations are fixed, but I do have the quad screen, and most important to me is that the guidance now does not freeze if I select the Intelligent 4WD screen.

Yeah, that's the right TSB - BUT - I'm not sure when my light came on for the first time after the update I wasn't driving. When I got in the car, it said 17 DTE, I ran it down to 4, then 13 gallons filled the tank. I don't think the DTE computations are fixed, but I do have the quad screen, and most important to me is that the guidance now does not freeze if I select the Intelligent 4WD screen.

Thank you.

They will be updating mine Thursday as well as my stalling issue while using the remote start

• Like 1

I got my new escape 2 weeks back and not sure if it needs the DTE fix applied. Had to fill up 12.6 gallons when I was at 290 miles and it was showing 35 miles DTE. After filling up showed 380 miles DTE. I am now at around 410 miles, so roughly 120 miles driven and it is showing 77 miles DTE. In fact for every 4 miles I drove, the DTE was dropping 20 miles!! And my MPG is showng as 17.0 down from 17.8 when I first filled up.

So what do you guys think? Has the DTE fix been applied or my escape needs it. (My driving in city/hwy is 80/20.)

• Like 1

I do 80/20 diving in my 1.6 and get 380-450 a tank. you guys are lead foots, lol. honestly thought I try and keep the rpms under 3000 for the best mileage.

I am under 2000 rpm 90% of the times. Infact nowadays, I only gently press the gas pedal :(

That looks about right to me. 17mpg X 15 gal. Tank = 255 miles.

Your 80/20 driving mpg of 17 is better than my 15. Mine maybe closer to 85/15 though.

I filled only 12.6 gal, so logically it would be 290/12.6 ~ 23 a difference of 6 mpg??

It's always better to stop when the pump shuts off, I think. Read somewhere that we should not overfill.

I would look at actual MPG as distance/fuel expended rather than at the gas tank size, probably gives more accurate measure.

Is there a way to tell if the DTE fix was already applied to my car?