Making the 2013 Fusion Energi and HyTi into real Titaniums

taylorjd

JD, about a week ago I saw a thread on this forum that estimated $1,200, parts and labor, for the retro of the dual exhaust on the Energi Ti. I looked for the post for the dual exhaust that was already posted (looked on Blue Oval and Energi forums) but could not find it on either forum but ran out of time, so I gave up. The retro was to be done at a Ford dealership, as I recall.

JD, about a week ago I saw a thread on this forum that estimated $1,200, parts and labor, for the retro of the dual exhaust on the Energi Ti. I looked for the post for the dual exhaust that was already posted (looked on Blue Oval and Energi forums) but could not find it on either forum but ran out of time, so I gave up. The retro was to be done at a Ford dealership, as I recall.

I think you are talking about techtoys, who talked about it briefly (http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51500-shipping-eta-tbd/page-55&do=findComment&comment=834796) in the shipping-ETA post. At this point, my dealer thinks it would be under $600 in parts, but we have just start looking at it. After re-reading techtoys post, it seems he has gone a bit further. One of the things in his that worries me is that he says he "would have to pay a muffler shop to cut off the old tip and raise the tail pipe up". Something I will have to check into. I hope to get back with the dealer on Thursday.

I think you are talking about techtoys, who talked about it briefly (http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51500-shipping-eta-tbd/page-55&do=findComment&comment=834796) in the shipping-ETA post. At this point, my dealer thinks it would be under $600 in parts, but we have just start looking at it. After re-reading techtoys post, it seems he has gone a bit further. One of the things in his that worries me is that he says he "would have to pay a muffler shop to cut off the old tip and raise the tail pipe up". Something I will have to check into. I hope to get back with the dealer on Thursday.

Yes, that's the post. Dealer labor not included in his quote.

I agree that Ford should have been more clear about all of the Fusion models, options and features. Before they announced the HyTi I asked a Ford employee if he/she knew whether there was going to be a HyTi since I wanted a hybrid but also wanted intelligent access. He/she said it was shown as "on hold" in the internal documents that he/she saw. It takes many months to plan and deliver a new model - it's not something they'd do at the drop of a hat in just a couple of months. They may have given it the green light earlier than planned based on customer feedback but it was already ready to go.

I believe they held it back initially so as not to conflict with the MKZ hybrid launch.

They are still advertising the HyTi on the Fusion iPad app with dual exhaust and the tricked out pedals.

I finally got a chance to look at the iPad app again. For the HyTi, and for the Energi Ti, I see it lists "Dual integrated bright exhaust tips" and for the Hy Ti I see the "Aluminum brake and accelerator pedal covers", but not on the Energi Ti. On the Ambient lighting, they show the cup holders lit up and you can change their colors, but I do not see anyway where they say they light up.

Edited by taylorjd

I was very upset when I found out my 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium was not going to have the Dual Integrated Tailpipes like the Gas Titaniums. To me, that was the mark of the higher end Fusion Titanium (If you agree, please comment/Like my Ford post - http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/personalization/dual-integrated-tailpipes-for-the-2013-ford-fusion-hybrid-titanium-and-energi-titanium/)

So besides telling Ford, I am looking at changing my Energi's rear end. I have been talking with my Dealer's Service center. We think that we can change out the current Energi rear for the gas 2.0l rear. It would still only have one working tailpipe, but it would look like a dual. From best we can tell at this point, there are two parts (17810 and 17K922 [may need 17F827], costing just over $500) on the Fusion gas that are different from the Energi. Here is the image from the part catalog (in PDF and jpg):

I am going to meet again with the Service department and with the body shop and my salesman later next week to really scope this out. I am not sure what it will really cost, but if all of the parts fit, it should be a simple change. Even on the gas version, the exhaust pipes just butt up to the opening in the "integrated" holes in the bumper, so the Energi would just have one pipe, but still to openings.

I'll let you know what I find out. Anyone else do/looked at this?

You will also need :

17F827-B ($200)

17F827-A ($200)

Paint to match car needed for 17810 ($200-$300)

labor to install plus mod the original tail pipe to fit.($?)

Edited by techtoys

Techtoys, are you going ahead with this mod? I am interested in hearing about your experience.

Hope that you do go ahead, and Jeff, I hope you do it too. I would not be willing to be the first person to do this -- I'm risk-averse about mods -- but where you guys lead, I may follow. Thanks for exploring this option.

You will also need :

17F827-B ($200)

17F827-A ($200)

Paint to match car needed for 17810 ($200-$300)

labor to install plus mod the original tail pipe to fit.($?)

Thanks Techtoys. I am hoping to get by the dealer soon the spec it out more. I'll add your info to what we know/learn.

Yesterday at my dealer I saw a FF SE with dual integrated bright exhaust, which I was comparing with the exhaust of a new FF Energi sitting next to it. Although I am still disappointed in Ford for not giving the HyTi dual exhaust, now that I have seen the two side-by-side I know that I can live with the plain single exhaust. The FF SE was very dirty and the "bright" dual exhaust tips were almost completely black with road dust, dirt or whatever. They looked nasty! For those of you who are considering spending an arm and a leg on converting your exhaust....keep those tail pipes clean and shiny! :camera:

Yesterday at my dealer I saw a FF SE with dual integrated bright exhaust, which I was comparing with the exhaust of a new FF Energi sitting next to it. Although I am still disappointed in Ford for not giving the HyTi dual exhaust, now that I have seen the two side-by-side I know that I can live with the plain single exhaust. The FF SE was very dirty and the "bright" dual exhaust tips were almost completely black with road dust, dirt or whatever. They looked nasty! For those of you who are considering spending an arm and a leg on converting your exhaust....keep those tail pipes clean and shiny! :camera:

Interesting, CaliRN. Almost sounds like the dual exhausts were black matted. That would be a cool look too. :rockon:

Interesting, CaliRN. Almost sounds like the dual exhausts were black matted. That would be a cool look too. :rockon:

They were definitely shiny under all that filth. I know because I wiped one a little with a tissue and the dirt/soot came off.

I went by the dealer yesterday to talk with the Body shop, but the manager was busy. I took a closer look at the two. It seems that both have the same exhaust systems right up to the muffler, where the gas Titanium has a muffler with dual pipes coming out (both have one going in) and the Energi only has one coming out. I think it would not be too hard to remove it at the muffler and make it a "true" dual exhaust. I see have to check with them to see.

Energi (SE)

IMAGE_11C6730C-D254-4753-9181-836203A239

Gas Titanium:

IMAGE_28AA22D6-FB91-4BFC-8C48-0C4DBC5EEA

I went by the dealer yesterday to talk with the Body shop, but the manager was busy. I took a closer look at the two. It seems that both have the same exhaust systems right up to the muffler, where the gas Titanium has a muffler with dual pipes coming out (both have one going in) and the Energi only has one coming out. I think it would not be too hard to remove it at the muffler and make it a "true" dual exhaust. I see have to check with them to see.

Energi (SE)

IMAGE_11C6730C-D254-4753-9181-836203A239

Gas Titanium:

IMAGE_28AA22D6-FB91-4BFC-8C48-0C4DBC5EEA

I don't agree with a kirby, who said the dual exhaust is tied to the 2.0L EB engine. I think maybe Ford is using single exhaust on their hybrids because 1 pipe weighs a little less than 2 and they're doing everything they can to make the cars as light as possible?

I don't agree with a kirby, who said the dual exhaust is tied to the 2.0L EB engine. I think maybe Ford is using single exhaust on their hybrids because 1 pipe weighs a little less than 2 and they're doing everything they can to make the cars as light as possible?

Ford did! :) Right now the only configurations that come with the dual exhaust are the 2.0L EB packages (SE or Titanium level). That pretty well says it's tied to the engine in the options, not the trim level. I'm not saying it's right, but that is how the configurations work out right now and that's what he was getting at.

CaliRN, on 21 Mar 2013 - 22:22, said:

Kirby speaks from experience, go thru all the early threads and you will see what he is talking about. The SE's with the 2.0 EB engine have dual exhausts.

See link below

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51330-se-with-dual-exhaust-20l/

Edited by chuckokie36

CaliRN, on 21 Mar 2013 - 22:22, said:

Kirby speaks from experience, go thru all the early threads and you will see what he is talking about. The SE's with the 2.0 EB engine have dual exhausts.

See link below

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51330-se-with-dual-exhaust-20l/

This is even addressed in the actual vehicle's specifications.

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/specifications/engine/

Remember that there also is the upcoming aftermarket. We could see something down the line, especially for the 1.6L EB folks. Might be able to get carried over for the Hybrid folks. A centralized exhaust port (similar to Focus ST) would look pretty sweet.

• Like 1