Aftermarket Push Button Start and Intelligent Access

lmp180psu

When I decided to purchase the SE Hybrid I had on order in December instead of waiting for the Titanium Hybrid I had on order, one of the toughest decisions I made was giving up the Push Button Start and Intelligent Access. I have been researching the feasibility of adding it aftermarket, and it is certainly possible and not too expensive (relatively), but the one thing I have been wondering about is any possible warranty issues by adding it.

I went to a shop today and they said that it would be approximately $500-600 for the parts and labor. They use the following kit: http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html, but I can ask about others and they will tell me if they would install it. They won't install just anything (i.e. "cheap crap from eBay"). The guy said this kit has been reliable. I am not crazy about the credit card look of the fob but not a big deal. I am hoping they can change out the Green bulb on the push button since nothing else in the interior is lit green, so it would look out of place.

I am also considering something like this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/pke-car-alarm-push-button-start-Auto-Remote-Passive-keyless-entry-car-security-/110929947680?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d3f0ac20&vxp=mtr, since I like the look of the fobs, and the price is good too. Now I am not sure if the shop would even install it, but its an option.

The one thing the guy specifically mentioned was having the key inserted into the key slot and it always being in there, and bypassing the steering wheel lock. I remember when steering wheels would lock, but it has happened exactly once since I have had the Fusion. What is the big deal about bypassing the steering wheel lock?

What is everyone's opinion of doing this, and would you worry about warranty issues?

I personally wouldn't bother. The keyless start is a good way to forget things and make mistakes. IE husband has the FOB gets out at a destination, wife switches seat, drives 50 miles without the fob, shuts the car off and is stranded as the husband has the FOB 50 miles away, this happens FYI.

Also I wouldn't want any car audio shop messing with the ignition system on a complicated $30,000 hybrid. Any damage they do would not be covered by warranty. You would have to go after the company who made the kit or the installer.

I personally wouldn't bother. The keyless start is a good way to forget things and make mistakes. IE husband has the FOB gets out at a destination, wife switches seat, drives 50 miles without the fob, shuts the car off and is stranded as the husband has the FOB 50 miles away, this happens FYI.

Also I wouldn't want any car audio shop messing with the ignition system on a complicated $30,000 hybrid. Any damage they do would not be covered by warranty. You would have to go after the company who made the kit or the installer.

I see your points about the switching of drivers. In my case, I am almost always driving it. There have been 3 times my partner has driven the car, but that was with me in it after I was buzzed from having some drinks when we went out. The Advanced keys system has a back up where there is a card you waive over one of the sensors if you lose or forget the smart key. it will allow you to unlock and start/drive the car.

The warranty thing is something I have been wrestling with in my mind too. That is why I have asked other opinions. My friend also mentioned the wiring/warranty issue, but he also thinks this is more for a cool factor. It is "cool" but I like the convenience/useful factor too. Many times I carry groceries with both hands and it would be nice not having to fumble with the fob to open the doors/trunk.

Doesn't happen with Fords. If you get out of the car with the only fob it immediately honks the horn twice and puts a message up saying no keyfob is in range. If you ignore that and keep driving it will remain running and fully functional. When you stop the vehicle it gives you another warning message that the keyfob is missing and that you have 20 seconds to restart it.

I agree about not butchering the car wiring. Just not worth it.