Lousy Leather Steering Wheel Cover

MSPFusion

Am I the only one who thinks Ford pulled the leather for the steering wheel cover out of the bargain bin at "Pleather 'R Us"? A car this nice deserves more attention to detail in this area, after all, your hands are on the wheel more than anywhere else. My previous car was an Audi and for all of that car's many flaws, material quality in the cabin wasn't one of them. Does anyone know a good source for a replacement? Are Wheelskins any good?

Thanks!

I don't have any problems with the leather on my steering wheel, maybe your car accidentally got one from from a S or SE? The leather on my Fusion steering wheel is nice than the leather on my Audi A4, but it was 11 years old so maybe that's why.

The wheel is a bit thinner...............but the material seems fine. I like the bit of texture to the leather, might be more durable than the smooth.............given every single VAG wheel I've come across had some of the smooth part "fail" (not fail, just not smooth anymore).

Aside from the ride & handling the interior materials are the most impressive feature. Soft touch anywhere you might come into contact = nicely done. There is the piano black......but hey nobody's perfect.

I really like the feel and texture of the leather steering wheel. It is firm yet has enough cushion to be comfortable. I am glad it is/was part of the appearance package. The leather wheel in my old TL might have been thicker, but it didn't feel as nice or comfortable.

Guess I'm out-voted on this one. The leather on my wheel feels "plasticky" compared to the leather on my 2001 Audi steering wheel. I might try putting some Lexol on the steering wheel cover and the seats. The MKZ cover feels a little better. Replacing the cover would be a lot of labor to sew a new cover on, or expensive.

Or you wear out this one and then have it covered... :)

If you want plasticy...come feel my Sonatas "leather"..its pure junk. So are the "leather" seats. When they wear out I am going to Katskin them. The stuff in the Fusion is night and day different in my situation.

Guess I'm out-voted on this one. The leather on my wheel feels "plasticky" compared to the leather on my 2001 Audi steering wheel. I might try putting some Lexol on the steering wheel cover and the seats. The MKZ cover feels a little better. Replacing the cover would be a lot of labor to sew a new cover on, or expensive.

I have to agree with you - the leather on my 02 Dakota's steering wheel felt much better than the leather on my Fusion's wheel. I'm assuming it's one of two things - that wheel was well broken in when the truck came my way (~7yrs old in '09), and it was a smooth finish, not a grained one. I'm hoping that with some more break in time the wheel on my Fusion will feel the same way as the well-used wheel my truck had, but I'm guessing it won't. Just seems to be a different kind of leather that isn't as supple or something. Ford did advertise it as "leather wrapped", and not "leather trimmed" or something else to indicate that it was only partially real, so I have some faith that it is in fact real.

bluspikez - thanks, nice to hear that I'm not the only one who feels he is grabbing plastic. On a business trip this week I rented a Chevy Cruz. It had leather, and the steering wheel was awesome. Beautiful smooth black leather, wonderful job of stitching it on, nice indents at 10 and 2 O'clock. I couldn't believe it.

I'll try to wear it in for a bit and I'll add some Lexol. But I think eventually I'll be buying a new cover. Maybe they'll come up with something better in Europe when the Mondeo hits over there.

I also agree. I suppose it's smooth, and "leather-like", but it does not seem like real leather. I've had much better leather in several of my previous vehicles. It does feel ok, and I'm not too upset about it, but it's certainly not the nicest I've had.

bluspikez - thanks, nice to hear that I'm not the only one who feels he is grabbing plastic. On a business trip this week I rented a Chevy Cruz. It had leather, and the steering wheel was awesome. Beautiful smooth black leather, wonderful job of stitching it on, nice indents at 10 and 2 O'clock. I couldn't believe it.

I'll try to wear it in for a bit and I'll add some Lexol. But I think eventually I'll be buying a new cover. Maybe they'll come up with something better in Europe when the Mondeo hits over there.

I also agree. I suppose it's smooth, and "leather-like", but it does not seem like real leather. I've had much better leather in several of my previous vehicles. It does feel ok, and I'm not too upset about it, but it's certainly not the nicest I've had.

I borrowed a friend's 2013 F150 this weekend for some moving I was doing and the leather on that wheel was much more like what I would prefer on a wheel. That being said, I've handled a sample of the leather used for various surfaces in the Fusion at work, and it is definitely real leather, the finish on it just makes it feel very similar to the vinyl with the same grain pattern that is used on other surfaces in the Fusion. Maybe this was the goal?

I borrowed a friend's 2013 F150 this weekend for some moving I was doing and the leather on that wheel was much more like what I would prefer on a wheel. That being said, I've handled a sample of the leather used for various surfaces in the Fusion at work, and it is definitely real leather, the finish on it just makes it feel very similar to the vinyl with the same grain pattern that is used on other surfaces in the Fusion. Maybe this was the goal?

Or maybe durability? I did like the smooth leather on VAG wheels......but....all of them failed (the smooth finish broke) at some point - maybe the texture was to avoid this?

May not be the best but at least it beats hard plastic :)

The cover on the wheel of my 2001 A6 with 170,000 on it still feels like new. The texture may improve grip, and its not the texture I mind it's that the leather feels cheap. For now, I'll hit it with Lexol and give it some time. The aftermarket is bound to come out with something.