The unofficial, no money, "I have damage to repair" estimate pool

jcg1005

How Much????  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you think this repair will cost, exclusive of a rental car?

• $1-999
    • $1000-1999
    • $2000-2999
    • $3000-3999
    • $4000 or over
    • For BadRock, AKA Dr. Evil - $1,000,000

Credit to Neod192 for this idea.

A little fun to brighten what is a dismal event - damage to your new Fusion!!

Last week, I was rear-ended by an inattentive motorist while traveling for work in the GTA. (For anyone not aware, that is "Greater Toronto Area")

The damage is as follows, as best as I can describe it. Car is certainly driveable.

- There is a small hole in the bumper cover, right on the most outward section, about halfway left of center.

- The "push" on the bumper cover popped the edge of that piece from its slot/track/etc, along the left side of the rear quarter panel for about a foot.

- The right taillight assembly section that is on the trunk lid has the very corner, perhaps 1/4 inch, snapped off. This, of course, indicates the trunk lid flexed considerably.

- My untrained eye believes the trunk lid is "sprung" slightly, as it is out of alignment with the bumper cover on the lower left corner. However, this could be from the bumper cover being popped out.

That's it! I think the big difference in any estimates will be whether they determined the trunk lid is bent. There is so much plastic in the trunk lid that it might have flexed and still be fine.

So, guess away! Estimate is being done this morning and I'll know this evening how much.

post-44390-0-67137300-1370392953_thumb.jpg

post-44390-0-81291000-1370392963_thumb.jpg

post-44390-0-97408000-1370392973_thumb.jpg

post-44390-0-03131700-1370392983_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcg1005

Depending on the amount, the motorist wants to pay out of pocket, and the rental will be a part of that. I am not going to be further inconvenienced because of his stupidity.

Police were called and a report written if not the obvious citation. Right?

Police were called and a report written if not the obvious citation. Right?

No. In this area, no injury and driveable equals exchange information and get out of traffic.

If this were to have happened at home, it would be like this. Law Enforcement is pretty strict on someone getting a ticket in every accident, as it should be.

No. In this area, no injury and driveable equals exchange information and get out of traffic.

If this were to have happened at home, it would be like this. Law Enforcement is pretty strict on someone getting a ticket in every accident, as it should be.

Ewwww....

Yeah. Sadly, in metro areas, that is becoming the norm. Too many other things for the popo to do. You know, like break up fights at kindergarten graduations http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/31/brawl-erupts-at-ohio-kindergarten-graduation-8-arrested/ or arrest Taco Bell Employees for licking Taco shells. (I hope) http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/03/taco-bell--gross-employee-action-public-relations-nightmare/2385919/

• Like 3

I imagine the officer would first ask, what you were both doing driving in your home...

Edited by shaggy314
  • Like 1

Yeah. Sadly, in metro areas, that is becoming the norm. Too many other things for the popo to do. You know, like break up fights at kindergarten graduations http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/31/brawl-erupts-at-ohio-kindergarten-graduation-8-arrested/ or arrest Taco Bell Employees for licking Taco shells. (I hope) http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/03/taco-bell--gross-employee-action-public-relations-nightmare/2385919/

Don't forget the doughnuts....................don't call 'em doughnut dollies for nothing. :)

• Like 1

I'll go along with this one.

When my Edge was rear-ended it did slightly more damage (needed new exhaust system) and the estimate was close to $5000 (!!!).

Maybe the same drunk rear-ended your Edge as did my wife's Edge a couple years ago. New bumper cover (and backup sensors) and crunch pad underneath, and new exhaust -- but lift gate was fine.... was still $5,400! So that was my frame of reference to make me hit the $3,300 spot on the dartboard.

OK my friends... Pics added to the original post.

It doesn't LOOK that bad, but... the trunk lid has me worried.

The estimate is done, but I don't have it in hand yet. I will withhold the winning vote until tomorrow evening!