SSIP improper loses?

Numistay

Why have I lost 40 shares of stock from my account this last quarter(march 2013 to June 2013) when I had no transactions during this period. This is giving me severe heartburn because Ford literature claims that the company pays all costs or fees associated with owning Ford stock. My dividend check for this latest quarter is $4.37 cents less an it was for the first quarter. The $4.37 is peanuts but this means I own approx. 40 less shares than I owned the first quarter. At $15 per share this is $600 someone has taken from my account. When I talk to ACS, they will not give me a satisfactory answer. I think we are being misled by the SSIP literature because it specifically states that the Ford Motor company pays all fees. If I do not sell any stock, how can I lose this many shares in a 3 month period? The price of the stock should not affect the number of share I own.

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHERE MY MONEY IS GOING.

The first line in the 3 pages of details states as follows:

(The Company pays all fees associated with the Ford Stock Fund. Unit price and returns will vary.)

The GOAL: Provide a return that corresponds to the total return on Ford common stock, including price changes and dividends.

This type of wording misleads investors into thinking that it means exactly what it says. I am sure there is legalese in the details that allows someone to skim off a fee that is in my view exorbitant.

I did not buy nor sell any stock but because my dividend check was $4.37 less, it means I lost about the equivalent of 44 shares from March until June.

I am losing approx. $2500 per year and I would advise anyone who has ford stock in the SSIP and thinks the fund is a bargain to do the math.

Legal? Probably! Morally right? I don't think so.

I believe the name of the company managing the SSIP for Ford is ACS but I can't verify that right now.

When Fidelity was handling the SSIP account I did not notice these losses. When Ford changed about 1-1/2 years ago I started noticing some losses that I thought was excessive. Because of them using units instead of stock certificates it makes it kind of confusing to do the calculations. Money in the stock fund is not really in Ford Stock, it is in units.

I need to do a rollover to a different IRA to avoid paying all taxes in 1 year.

I bought Ford stock at a very low price so made quite a good amount, but still am not satisfied with paying through the nose for something that is not morally right.

I hate being taken.

The reason your latest dividend check is less than the previous one is that you do not own shares of Ford stock, you own shares of the Ford Stock Fund which is a combination of Ford shares and Cash. Read the write up for this on your myfordbenefits site. If you go into the site you can look at some historical prices of the Ford Stock fund, compare these to the closing price of Ford stock for those days and you will see the ratio is not the same everyday.

I had to figure this out myself last year.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems investors who are employees or retires and investing in Ford stock are as happy as a pig in $hit as long as the stock is going up.

It seems they either don't realize how much or are not able to calculate how much they are losing due to the way the investment company manipulates their funds.

I started this thread hopeing that I could get people interested in investigating how much they were losing and maybe we could get Ford to take aa look at the SSIP management companies practices.

I know I am losing a couple thousand a year from my account even though the papers say that the Ford. Motor company pays all fees and expenses. Sounds good but is not what it seems.

Guess I will have to have Elizabeth Warren take a look at it to see of it is legal.

It seems investors who are employees or retires and investing in Ford stock are as happy as a pig in $hit as long as the stock is going up. It seems they either don't realize how much or are not able to calculate how much they are losing due to the way the investment company manipulates their funds. I started this thread hopeing that I could get people interested in investigating how much they were losing and maybe we could get Ford to take aa look at the SSIP management companies practices. I know I am losing a couple thousand a year from my account even though the papers say that the Ford. Motor company pays all fees and expenses. Sounds good but is not what it seems. Guess I will have to have Elizabeth Warren take a look at it to see of it is legal.

Who is Elizabeth Warren ?

It seems investors who are employees or retires and investing in Ford stock are as happy as a pig in $hit as long as the stock is going up.It seems they either don't realize how much or are not able to calculate how much they are losing due to the way the investment company manipulates their funds.I started this thread hopeing that I could get people interested in investigating how much they were losing and maybe we could get Ford to take aa look at the SSIP management companies practices.I know I am losing a couple thousand a year from my account even though the papers say that the Ford. Motor company pays all fees and expenses. Sounds good but is not what it seems.Guess I will have to have Elizabeth Warren take a look at it to see of it is legal.

My dividend check increased this time cause I bought more shares, so your not looking at something correctly!

I have never been charged anything for buying ford stock in TESPH!

Numistay: I definitely know who Elizabeth Warren is and yes I respect her financial expertise. You should watch a recent PBS (frontline) documentary on the fees of stocks because this gave a lot of insights on what fees are being charged to investors without their complete knowledge. "The Retirement Gamble". TESPHE and SSIP do run very differently but at the same time, you have a match which is way better than TESPHE even if there were fees. Am I correct that the company is still matching $1/$1? You are right when the stock is going up it does not seem to matter to most, but fees of $2500.00 is absolutely absurd! To those with TESPHE most investors would say not to invest in your own companies stock when it does not have a match but it is doing rather well as of late so that would be a tough decision. This divisiveness in the stock holdings between salaried and hourly is something that I never understood?

I do not have any match. Where did you come up with the idea I had a match? I am a retiree who was hourly but was on salary by the time I retired. I tried to go back on hourly before retiring but was not allowed to. I retired quite a few years ago.

I transferred money into Ford stock when it was $2.50 per share so made a lot of money for my retirement which makes me happy.

But getting. Back to losing money because of the management company manipulation I have been carefully tracking my investments for 40 years and if you are trying to justify what they are doing I would suggest that you may be an employee of the management company.

I do not have any match. Where did you come up with the idea I had a match? I am a retiree who was hourly but was on salary by the time I retired. I tried to go back on hourly before retiring but was not allowed to. I retired quite a few years ago.I transferred money into Ford stock when it was $2.50 per share so made a lot of money for my retirement which makes me happy.But getting. Back to losing money because of the management company manipulation I have been carefully tracking my investments for 40 years and if you are trying to justify what they are doing I would suggest that you may be an employee of the management company.
Manage your own money and you won't have to worry about fees!

Nothing in life is free!

I manage my own money so I represent no one but myself

Edited by littlecountry
  • Like 2

It seems investors who are employees or retires and investing in Ford stock are as happy as a pig in $hit as long as the stock is going up. It seems they either don't realize how much or are not able to calculate how much they are losing due to the way the investment company manipulates their funds. I started this thread hopeing that I could get people interested in investigating how much they were losing and maybe we could get Ford to take aa look at the SSIP management companies practices. I know I am losing a couple thousand a year from my account even though the papers say that the Ford. Motor company pays all fees and expenses. Sounds good but is not what it seems. Guess I will have to have Elizabeth Warren take a look at it to see of it is legal.

I do check my SSIP account on a regular basis. I do not seem to have the issue you are having. I'm still an active salary employee, so I do have contributions on a regular basis. I see contributions every 2 weeks, and they add up correctly with my previous statements.

Can you access your account from www.myfordbenefits.com ? Can you see your quarterly statements? My math adds up - I'm sorry yours does not.

You say that you retired quite a few years ago? First, I would NEVER let that ACS outfit continue to manage my retirement account if I had other options, and You clearly do. If you are 70 1/2, they may have sent you a MRD, which may have been partially from Ford stock liquidation. In addition there is a new Obamacare tax on investment and dividend income which they may have been kind enough to withhold on your distribution. Hope and Change!