2007 Focus SE Passenger Airbag Light

Lawgiver

Hello Everyone,

My mother has just purchased a 07 Focus 4dr SE. The "passenger airbag off" light on the dash below the hazard button does not stay lit when the seat is empty. When a passenger exits the vehicle, the light will illuminate for approx. 2 seconds and then go out. I take this to mean the pass airbag is armed even though the seat is empty. I have checked the connections and all appears to be well. As an experiment, I set a gallon jug of water in the passenger seat and applied slight pressure to the seat back. The pass airbag light illuminated and stayed lit until I removed my hand from the seat back. I have read the owners manual several times and it appears to contradict itself. On one page, it specifically states the light should stay lit when the seat is empty or basically anything in the seat besides an adult. On the next page it states just the opposite, the light will not be lit even though the seat is empty. Now, I am asking this because she previously owned a 07 Focus SE 4Dr that was cut and dry so to speak. Seat was empty, light was on. Anything but an adult in the seat, light on. An adult sits in the seat, light goes off. I am hoping some of you guys might be able to shed some light on this (no pun intended). Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Rob

Hello Everyone,

My mother has just purchased a 07 Focus 4dr SE. The "passenger airbag off" light on the dash below the hazard button does not stay lit when the seat is empty. When a passenger exits the vehicle, the light will illuminate for approx. 2 seconds and then go out. I take this to mean the pass airbag is armed even though the seat is empty. I have checked the connections and all appears to be well. As an experiment, I set a gallon jug of water in the passenger seat and applied slight pressure to the seat back. The pass airbag light illuminated and stayed lit until I removed my hand from the seat back. I have read the owners manual several times and it appears to contradict itself. On one page, it specifically states the light should stay lit when the seat is empty or basically anything in the seat besides an adult. On the next page it states just the opposite, the light will not be lit even though the seat is empty. Now, I am asking this because she previously owned a 07 Focus SE 4Dr that was cut and dry so to speak. Seat was empty, light was on. Anything but an adult in the seat, light on. An adult sits in the seat, light goes off. I am hoping some of you guys might be able to shed some light on this (no pun intended). Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Rob

I think you just misinterpreted the manual (or it had a typo). It only "enables" the airbag if there is something in the seat. If that something is small enough it will "disable" the airbag and the light will illuminate. If nothing is in the seat the airbag is never "enabled" so the light won't be lit. In other words, the light should only be on when there is something in the seat but it's too small - all other times it will be off.

The airbag is disabled with the seatbelt unbuckled with nothing in the seat. However the light is not lit at that time. Once the OCS detects weight or the buckle buckled, it will turn the light on until the weight exceeds a predetermined amount. This doesnt mean that the bag will be deployed in the event of a crash though. The RCM makes the determination for bag deployment based on weight/belt buckle status/seat position and crash severity.