Finally got some decent mileage

Camride

Since I've had my Fusion I have gotten 21-22 mpg mixed city/highway (about 50/50). I haven't really taken any long trips except for one trip to SC where I got ~28mpg (but the tank did end up with a bit of city driving at the end). I took a trip up north with my wife/kid and finally got almost a full tank (11 gallons) on nothing but highway, and hit 32.3 mpg. That was 65-75mph with AC on the whole way. I'm glad to see that it is possible to get the rated mileage, as so far it hadn't been doing so good. Now if I could only get my normal tanks to do better.

BTW I'm almost at 10k miles on the car. I still have a number of things to get fixed (including the fuel module recall) but overall I'm still loving the car. It was very comfy on a 9 hour drive.

• Like 1

Since the temps have warmed up and my car has broken in, I've been seeing quite solid numbers on pure highway trips. Where I would see 28-30mpg in the winter with my snow tires, I now see 32-34mpg with the all seasons back on (70-75mph freeway type driving, same trips). I even had 80-100mi of 2-lane highway on a trip, and with the cruise set at 58mph for the stretch I got 36.3mpg.

I don't have a similar comparison for the city or mixed cycles, as my car has always done pretty well on those, but the highway cycle has shown some improvements with the temp changes, wheel/tire changes and break in (likely the tires being the biggest difference, my Altimax Arctics have a ton of rolling resistance).

Just to add my recent experience:

I drove a 400+ mile each way trip this past week and was able to get about 31 MPG for the entire trip. Trip was relatively flat, with some hills through the east coast. On the way down, I hit 3 hours worth of traffic through CT, NYC and NJ. Still was able to get 29 MPG on that leg (better than I expected, honestly). On the way home I went around NYC and had much better mileage.

One thing to note, it was quite hot and I did some "experimenting". Setting cruise to 70 MPH, I was getting about 30-31MPG with no AC. As soon as I hit the AC button the instant MPG dropped to around 25 MPG. I always knew running AC would hurt your mileage, but not by that much. And it wasn't just because of the terrain. I did that a few times and always saw a 5-6 MPG difference, and it would instantly shoot back up once I turned the AC off. Here's the best part: Driving in 90+ temperature, I barely used the AC and was more than happy with how cold the air was coming in just putting the temp setting to LO. Cold air + better MPG = Win!

I hear you... these warm temp are really pulling my mileage down into the upper 80's MPGe. I had been in the 120's but not with A/C. Whew. 7 weeks and 1800 miles and I'm due to fill up the car for the first time. I'm sure the manual tells me somewhere how that works. So far I've accidently opened the fuel door 3 times, never on purpose, the release is in a weird spot.

I need to start watching prices again... Is it still under $2?

;)

:drop:

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm almost positive it was that much of a difference. The mpg was a shade over the halfway point between 20 and 30 on the instant mpg cluster screen.

You can't look at the instant gauge unless you completely reset it. Did you reset it or give it the eyeBall test?

You can't look at the instant gauge unless you completely reset it. Did you reset it or give it the eyeBall test?

I know it's not 100% accurate, and definitely not scientific, but yes, I reseted it at the beginning of the trip. But that isn't what I was looking at. I was looking at the blue bar that moves with the "MPG" you are getting that very instant. Again, I know it's not a scientific way of getting the MPG, but going over extremely flat stretches (or atleast low grades that were not changing up and down at all), without AC on the bar hovered just above 30 MPG, where I would estimate 31 MPG would be. I would watch it in this spot for 15-20 seconds, and it would never really move much. When I turned the AC on it definitely dropped and hovered above the midpoint between 20 & 30 MPG.

Let me re-iterate again that I know it's not the most accurate way to do it, but that was observance. And when I averaged about 31 MPG for the entire trip (that was mostly 60-70 MPH, and using data from fill ups - I use an app for that), it adds a bit of credence to what I saw (cruising at 70MPH showing around 31MPG on the instant read-out)

Well, while I'm happy I was able to reach EPA numbers on the highway the car still sucks in mixed or city driving. My last tank was 20.7mpg, that was probably 60% city. That's pretty much what my modified Audi with ~300hp did. It's disappointing but what are you going to do. I am bringing it up when I take my car in next week, but I'm sure there's nothing then can/will do about it.

• Like 1

Drove from Jacksonville to Melbourne, Fl over the weekend. It's roughly 175 miles. We had quite a bit of city driving once there visiting family. We filled up on the way back in Port Orange. I went to the first click and did the math. I was able to get 27.6MPG. Pleasantly surprised. I have 1700 miles on the clock. Hoping it gets a little better with more mileage. Oh, I was doing the speed limit or slightly under everywhere.