Rear Hatch Question

Escapism

Have a question. I read on the UK Kuga forum about a grommet missing if you didn't get the hands-free lift gate feature. Well, I got the tow package so I don't have that feature. On my passenger side there is a hole in the center of the rubber grommet. The drivers side(pic included) is covered by a right angle grommet because of wiring, so that's all good. Is the passenger side supposed to be like that?

post-48549-0-99639300-1375750213_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-03715500-1375750216_thumb.jpg

Edited by Escapism

I looked today when I was drying after a wash, I also have a solid plug on the passenger side. Titanium, w/o tow pkg.

I just don't know why they would put one in with a hole in the center. And I never would of noticed unless I read the Kuga forum.

Hi guys,

The plug on the passenger side has a hole in it, if you have the panoramic sun roof. It's a drain hole. Do not plug it or cover it. If you don't have a panoramic sun roof, the plug is solid. It has nothing to do with tow packages, lift gates, or otherwise. Water invariably will get into the channels along the sun roof, and it is then funneled out through that hole.

Since we are on the topic of the rear hatch ... my handle broke off today (the inside handle). It snapped back together, but the plastic trim panel apparently loosened up contributing to the handle falling apart. I showed the dealer this and he explained the clips that hold everything together. He said it would take at least an hour for the tech to remove the panel and determine what clips need to be replaced. Then the clips have to be ordered, and i will have to come back for another hour plus session in the shop.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Ah, finally the yoda answers. Thank you very much! Makes sense. So now I change my question. Do folks with the roof have a hole?

Yes indeed and that explains all the water on my bumper when it rains and I open the rear! Didn't know that was the drain

Yes indeed and that explains all the water on my bumper when it rains and I open the rear! Didn't know that was the drain

That's not the drain causing that. All the water on your rear hatch(if it goes up all the way past level)simply runs towards the front of your vehicle and runs down the outside of the rear hatch gasket and ends up on your rear bumper. That drain tube is for the Pano roof only. If water gets past the Pano roof gasket, it should drain out this tube. I have yet to stand up with my head out the roof and look for the drain starting point.

• 3 weeks later...

The dealer repaired this under warranty. Tech said there were loose screws in the hatch under the interior trim. Solid as a rock now.

Since we are on the topic of the rear hatch ... my handle broke off today (the inside handle). It snapped back together, but the plastic trim panel apparently loosened up contributing to the handle falling apart. I showed the dealer this and he explained the clips that hold everything together. He said it would take at least an hour for the tech to remove the panel and determine what clips need to be replaced. Then the clips have to be ordered, and i will have to come back for another hour plus session in the shop.

Anyone else having a similar issue?