Ambient Lighting for non-Titaniums

Charlee

Ford is now making Ambient Lighting available as an option of the SE trim level. The lighting kit can also be ordered by your dealer for $249 and they'll install it for $90. I had my 2013 FFH SE done on Monday, but if you want it you should do it ASAP since the installation actually takes four hours of labor instead of the one that Ford thinks it will take. The instructions from Ford state that one light should be installed in the center console storage box. This ends up being not very effective and you should instruct the technician to put that light in the second passenger cupholder. The button to control the lights is put behind the cupholders. They are not controlled by MFT. They come on when you open the door and when the parking or headlights are on. I also had the illuminated door sills installed at the same time. These really top off the luxury interior look of the Fusion.

post-49037-0-06345100-1380233533_thumb.jpg

post-49037-0-77081400-1380233545_thumb.jpg

post-49037-0-75999900-1380233567_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charlee
  • Like 2

Also one cup holder lit while the other isnt would set off my OCD beyond belief. The Titanium only has one for the bin behind the shifter and it looks fine. I looked at them the other day and found that the ones in the footwells are like LED attached to banana shaped diffusers to spread out the light. Kind of interesting.

One hour install time seems to be a bit of a pipe dreams to pop open all of those panels, Nicely route the wiring and then put back.

Edited by Bearcats98

That looks more overpowering than the factory option. Is it behind the door handles too?

No, there are no lights in the door handles. Only four lights total. The photos are two second exposures so the lights are not as intense as they appear. Pushing the button gives you eight different color options. I'll always use the dark blue. I'm going to check out how difficult it will be to move the bin light over to the second cupholder when I have time in a couple of weeks.

I had the Ambient Lighting installed today, my pictures aren't as detailed as Charlee, but gets the point across. The lighting works the same as Charlee. I had the small LEDs put in the rear console, in the same place as the Fusion Ti comes installed, lighting the rear footwells. The SA came out to me and asked where I would like the small lights installed. Evidently you can have them installed where ever you want as long as the wires are long enough. There is no set place in the directions, it's up to you and the Tech.

image-11-1.jpg

The larger LEDs are in the front footwells, I did have the Ti pedals installed back in May.

image-10-3.jpg

During the installation the SA came out to me and asked if I wanted a different switch to control the lighting. The Technician remembered seeing another Fusion with a dual switch on the passenger side, I have Auto Park with only one switch and a blank switch cover. The switch he remembered had the Auto Park and an "A" on it. So I said yes to the SA. No drilling and only $28.00 for the switch. It works perfectly. The "A" is perfect for Ambient Lighting. The switch part No. is, DG9Z-13D730-BA. What I'm told, from a different forum, is the switch is for a Fusion 1.6L with auto start. It works because of the "A".

image-18-1.jpg

That's just a piece of insulation on the seat, I didn't notice it until I saw the picture.

The cost for this install is $217.88 for the kit, it retails for $249, I got a discount. $28.67 for the switch and $90.00 for the install. So for me it the total was, $366.55

The install takes approx four hours, so the $90.00 is inexpensive. If your going to do it get it done now before Ford figures out it takes longer than one hour.

Edited by Gkinla
  • Like 1

Seems brighter than my Titanium for sure. The Titanium also does not have it in the cupholders (I wish it did) but does have it in the doors.

Does the software build in your car have the option for ambient lighting? Was curious how they would handle that...

The lighting kit does not tie into MFT. It needs a separate switch, which in very non-intrusive. The thought just came to my head that even those with Titaniums could have their dealer install the kit. Like Gkinla said, you can specify where you would like the lights to be. That way you can light up each cupholder and the center open storage area under the dash.

Edited by Charlee