well here it is,we will be working str8 days in the future with both shifts alternating day shift,there will be a 3 month layoff prior to the town cars arrival,while the plant retools where necessary,this comes from a reliable source,and i hope that it is true.there will be no loss of employees and limited buyout opportunities,now youve heard the latest here first

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wating on Town Cars arrival :cheerleader:

If true, its nice to see Ford isn't completely :censored: out to lunch.

If true, the "panthers" and Ford truly are alive and well :rockon:

=====================================================

P.S. -- My trigger finger is setting up for a '08 model. Hope Mr. Ford doesn't dissappoint.

Edited by SysEng

Then it looks like 2008 is the year to watch for these cars. If the Town Car indeed dies as planned, and the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria continue to roll over unchanged, then the cars are done for.

However, there have been three specific sources to refute that idea. One, Ford has stated it intends to build the CVPI into the forseeable future, and it NEEDS an update to stay competitive with the Charger. Two, someone on this board said the Grand Marquis is getting a significant rebody for 2008. Third, this current rumor that the Town Car is making the migration to Canada. This would imply the basic update for 2008 they've needed since 1998, with an updated interior, updated exterior, and updated engines.

I'll believe it when I see it, heard the rumor that the town car was coming to stap for 20 years...

it doesnt save the plant thats for sure

we will still close by 2010 or so ....

Then it looks like 2008 is the year to watch for these cars. If the Town Car indeed dies as planned, and the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria continue to roll over unchanged, then the cars are done for.

However, there have been three specific sources to refute that idea. One, Ford has stated it intends to build the CVPI into the forseeable future, and it NEEDS an update to stay competitive with the Charger. Two, someone on this board said the Grand Marquis is getting a significant rebody for 2008. Third, this current rumor that the Town Car is making the migration to Canada. This would imply the basic update for 2008 they've needed since 1998, with an updated interior, updated exterior, and updated engines.

Nothing like " a reliable source and hoping that its true ' eh gocash. Well heres one for you 2009 Grand Marquis will be built at CAP on a Ford 500 platform.

I have seen the 2008 Grand Marquis in March 2006 of this year as a CP build, you are going to be disappointed when you see it , there is NO exterior Body changes.

I am satisfied with the current body style - all the car needs is some performance upgrades, i.e. 300hp minimum, 5 speed trans, trac/loc rear end option with choice of gears, dual exhaust, good set of gauges on the dash (it only took 20 years to get a Tach!!!) To me, dollar for dollar, the Merc. GM is the best car you can buy for the money. If Ford gives up on this car and the Crown Vic, they are NUTS.

Nothing like " a reliable source and hoping that its true ' eh gocash. Well heres one for you 2009 Grand Marquis will be built at CAP on a Ford 500 platform.

I have seen the 2008 Grand Marquis in March 2006 of this year as a CP build, you are going to be disappointed when you see it , there is NO exterior Body changes.

I COULD NAME THE SOURCE BUT I WONT,NO SENSE OF GETTING SOMEONE INTO DEEP SHIT NOW IS THERE

Since the announcement of Wixom closing I thought Ford would find a way to continue Town Car production. Especially with the retail-minded MKS coming aboard, Lincoln would just abandon the livery market without a larger MKS or Town Car available.

So, in my mind, the "stretched Grand Marquis" running on the stretched C.V.-Panther chassis is not a GMarq at all, but rather a "new" Town Car. It will run on the CV/GM Panther instead of the modified current TC version and have "new" sheetmetal & interior fittings. Probably renamed MKC or MKT. The car will only be built for a couple of years and will be relatively inexpensive to design & build...until the Panther is dropped and/or the replacements come out.

That's what I think. Not even an internet rumour to back it up...but I like the idea.

Scott

As much as I'd like to believe it, I have to think that one has to assume what Ford has announced is what is going to happen. I also base it upon the fact that Ford seems content to neglect the platform until it dies of neglect.

I'd like to be wrong, but I think Ford is committed to other sources for their automobile platforms.

As much as I'd like to believe it, I have to think that one has to assume what Ford has announced is what is going to happen. I also base it upon the fact that Ford seems content to neglect the platform until it dies of neglect.

I'd like to be wrong, but I think Ford is committed to other sources for their automobile platforms.

There is a certain ring of truth to this given Fords ...er... performance. The sheer idiocy of ticking off a 300K unit/year market worth in excess of $5Billion in revenue is speaking a lot louder as things get tougher. Further, dropping the TC on the 120" panther frame isn't that big of a deal.

And a new "flagship" isn't going to be an MKS or any of its variants. FYI aircraft carriers are flag ships, battleships are flagships, tugboats ( called MKS ) are just that...

So, I figure the TC will probably get the facelift it has badly needed since 1998, go on the 120"WB frame and likely be around until 2018. Some of the noise tends to suggest some updates in the frame area, which to me implies the possibility of IRS. I don't see any serious money going into the panther line, becasue essentially its almost all there anyway. Things like DOHC, 6R75 tranny ( from the Expedition ), IRS, and adjusemtns to teh dash are pretty trivial at best. A really big deal would be a hybrid powerplant. Can you say 35MPG :o

I am satisfied with the current body style - all the car needs is some performance upgrades, i.e. 300hp minimum, 5 speed trans, trac/loc rear end option with choice of gears, dual exhaust, good set of gauges on the dash (it only took 20 years to get a Tach!!!) To me, dollar for dollar, the Merc. GM is the best car you can buy for the money. If Ford gives up on this car and the Crown Vic, they are NUTS.

I agree that the body on the bodystyles aren't really that out of date as most people want to initally think. I think what needs to be addressed with the Vic, Marquis and Town Car is:

- a substantial make-over of the dash that can be used on all three with uniformity. Do the round chrome bezels, a new instrument cluster, make the center console and floor shifter standard on All Crown Vic LXs, Grand Marquis LSs and Town Cars. Column shifters on CVPI, livery, rentals and standard CVs and GMs.

- new front and rear styling enhancements. Ford should upgrade the grille of the Crown Victoria to reflect a more modern Fusion-like grille. Grand Marquis like the Milan and a strong, classy waterfall grille on the Town Car.

-Ford needs to do something to shake the stigma of the gas tank fires. The bad publicity only sunk the reputation of the car's deeper IMO. I think Ford should reenforce the gas tanks with Kevlar to make them darn near bulletproof. Most of us realize that many of the fires were due to placement of police equipment in the trunks but the media and the public didn't adequately address this information.

You know, I don't really think the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis is in desperate need of as much power as many think. Take a quick spin in a later model HPP Crown Vic and I'll bet many will be surprised. Maybe its a tad underrated or perhaps it could be contributed to a better torque convertor, throttle by wire or whatever. But these cars are pretty strong. Yesterday I was running down the interstate at 80 mph for a short distance and I was surprised that my car would kick down a gear and accelerate as strong as it did from that speed. I think Ford needs to go ahead and use the 3V and 5 speed auto, but the current offering is surprising in its ability to build speed.

Edited by Traveler

You know, I don't really think the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis is in desperate need of as much power as many think. Take a quick spin in a later model HPP Crown Vic and I'll bet many will be surprised. Maybe its a tad underrated or perhaps it could be contributed to a better torque convertor, throttle by wire or whatever. But these cars are pretty strong. Yesterday I was running down the interstate at 80 mph for a short distance and I was surprised that my car would kick down a gear and accelerate as strong as it did from that speed. I think Ford needs to go ahead and use the 3V and 5 speed auto, but the current offering is surprising in its ability to build speed.

I don't really see a power problem either, after you change the chip ;) And in point of fact, most of the changes I think amount to a very long list, but very little investment. A lot of the interior is pretty much Ford corporate stuff anyway, standard on more than one platform. Some minor sheetmetal tweeks ( the stanping dies must be pretty worn out after 8 years ), new front and rear treatment, very minor placement type issues with the dash are essentially trivialities. Putting a DOHC head on the current engine is really more for the "bling" factor, since compression should stick around 9.0:1. That would get a straight 275HP and approaching 300# torque given what th hi-comp Marauder produced. Fit up the new 6R75 tranny ( more corporate standard type stuff ) and thats it. More pages of changes than real investment effort.

The rumored frame changes though tend to tantalize. This could mean IRS, which answers a number of issues, including the gas tank business. Ford has lots of options to get out of its rut. Just need to excercise 'em.

2008 crown vic

2008Crown_VicCoupesmallpic.bmp

2008Crown_Vicsmallpic.bmp

Since the announcement of Wixom closing I thought Ford would find a way to continue Town Car production. Especially with the retail-minded MKS coming aboard, Lincoln would just abandon the livery market without a larger MKS or Town Car available.

So, in my mind, the "stretched Grand Marquis" running on the stretched C.V.-Panther chassis is not a GMarq at all, but rather a "new" Town Car. It will run on the CV/GM Panther instead of the modified current TC version and have "new" sheet metal & interior fittings. Probably renamed MKC or MKT. The car will only be built for a couple of years and will be relatively inexpensive to design & build...until the Panther is dropped and/or the replacements come out.

That's what I think. Not even an Internet rumour to back it up...but I like the idea.

Scott

That's kind of what I've been thinking. I believe the next Town Car will be a restyled Grand Marquis on the LWB with a Lincoln'ish grille and be called MarkTC. That should take care of the livery business customers. I also don't believe the Town Car will ever be the "flag ship" sedan. I also believe the "larger than MKS sedan" will be built on the new Ford global RWD platform and will be truly worth of the Continental name. I think the premium Lincolns will keep names (Continental, Navigator, etc.) while the rest will get the Mark MK stuff (MKZ, MKX, MKS, MarkLT, ETC.) But, like Scott above says, this isn't even based on a rumor, just random thoughts in my head.

What is that? The "old" pic that they showed our union last sept?

I heard that makeover was cancelled now ....

Is that still a body on frame design or is it on the 500 platform?

not bad looking I hope they gave it more hp and better gas mileage or is that wishfull thinking...

2008 crown vic

not bad looking I hope they gave it more hp and better gas mileage or is that wishfull thinking...

well considering it is a 500 Knock off and the 500 is getting a face lift I would hope it is cancelled.

Maybe it will be redone to fall better in line with the fusion and redone 500.

Matthew

not sure just found some pics on the net doesn't look like the ones i seen going around the plant either would be nice if it looked like that i think we'd be working overtime then.

I would definately consider myself to be a prospective customer for a Panther-platform car. Right now, I'm driving a 1996 Ford Thunderbird V8, and most definately prefer a V8/RWD setup for my car's replacement. I'm a Ford man through and through, and wouldn't buy a Charger or 300C, even for the drivetrain. I've looked over the Fusion, as well as the Mustang. I like the way the Fusion looks, and I like the interior, but prefer the way the Mustang sounds and drives. Naturally, I don't really need the Mustang's 300hp, but a kick above my own car's 210hp would be nice.

I've taken a hard look at both the Mercury Marauder, as well as the GM/CV and Lincoln Town Car. My ideal car would be a vehicle that captures the essence of the Ford 427 concept in general proportions as well as the utterly badass look of the Marauder, with the Town Car's interior quality.

I love the Town Car and Marauder's leather quality, which I think ranks among the best of any car I've sat in, compared to the incredibly disappointing leather of the Grand Marquis. Also with the GM/CV, I'm very disappointed in the quality of the plastics used. What was acceptable in 1992 just doesn't cut it in 2006, compared to other $30,000 cars.

What's sad, is that I know Ford can do better. The Fusion and Zephyr capture exactly what I expect of Ford and Lincoln in the interior department, in both design and quality, and are among the best in their class. Up until 2003, Lincoln had metal window switches in the Town Car, and then moved to cheap-feeling plastic. I'd have my next car if Ford just brought these cars up to date. While definately improved, they just do not cut it in their respective classes, which is what I feel has brought them down more than anything.

I don't think so bud. I've seen it , worked on it and polished it. If that was going to be built it would have been through the plant by now. Job 1 is only 10 months away. We will see who is right.

Glad to hear it. A CV on a 500 chassis, I don't need. OTOH, if I'm gonna be dissappointed as per your observations, then I got a feeling after me it will be Ford who gets "dissappointed".

First rule of business... the dumbass customer whose paying for it is always right...

True, but a majority of Panther loyalists buy used auction or program cars. So, not enough customers paying the factory, but paying governments and dealers for their treasured cars.

However foolish some may view it, I can count myself in the minority. Of course, the depreciation would eat me alive (even with a good purchase price) but a CV is one of those cars you can commit to for a long time and get your use out of it.

I buy a new one if it was not so much an exact clone of a 1998, both inside and out, that there is really no reason to get a new one - except I do get X-plan pricing through my employer.

I could certainly afford a brand new one, but when I could get a 3 year old Grand Marquis LSE Certified Used with 42,000 miles for $12,000, what does a new one offer for the extra dough?

If it makes you feel any better, I'd buy a new Panther before any other new Ford (well, if we replace the crapwagon, I'd look at a Focus, but that's for my wife).

If they gave me a reason to buy a new one, I'd certainly do so.

TOP GUN 2008 GM BUILT AT CAP ON 500 PLATFORM