2013 MKZ tires down to 3/32 at only 28,253mi???

Not surprised. These low-profile tires are garbage as far as i'm concerned. My dad's 17inch Michelins on his MKZ were gone at 25,000 (rotations every 5K when the vehicle was serviced), and my mom's 17s on her 2012 Impreza only made it to 18,000, granted they were 45 series tires (on the sportier side). I'm currently at 8,000 miles on my Edge Sport with 22s with no signs of wear. The service guy at my dealer said the Pirelli's that is has are top notch and that most Sport owners are getting at least 40,000 miles out of them. Works for me! At approx. $250 a tire I don't want to replace them anytime soon!

Got nearly 60,000 out of mine. Was most surprised by that. One thing to keep in mind with most low profile tires also is what kind of car they are sitting beneath. Most of them have a more sporting character and therefore they are given a softer, stickier rubber to add to that sporty feeling. I'm shocked the tires on my Cobra still look pretty good with 15,000 miles on them.

Correct. So Correct. Go to tirerack.com and look up the Michelin pilot hx mxm4. At one time there were 3 different versions of the 225/50R17 size all with different specs. One is aftermarket, one is the Ford OEM tire and one is the OEM tire for an Accord I believe.

When Lincoln was developing the LS back in the late 90s they went through 22 different tire formulations before they found the right one, and it was labeled a Firestone Firehawk just like all the rest.

Not saying that happens all the time but it does happen a lot and there was a lot of difference between the Ford mxm4 and the Accord mxm4.

I will back this up too, my understanding is that tire companies provide OEM's with tires that *are often* different from the ones available to consumers. They work with OEM's on specifically meeting performance/price constraints for individual vehicles. They use the same model designation so as not to introduce additional confusion. OP - conti tires are from most accounts on the lower end of the quality/performance spectrum amongst the premium brands, Michelin widely acknowledged as making the best tires in most segments (maybe not winter/snow).

Got nearly 60,000 out of mine. Was most surprised by that. One thing to keep in mind with most low profile tires also is what kind of car they are sitting beneath. Most of them have a more sporting character and therefore they are given a softer, stickier rubber to add to that sporty feeling. I'm shocked the tires on my Cobra still look pretty good with 15,000 miles on them.

Sporty cars will also run more aggressive suspension setups which can contribute to tire wear. For instance, most sports sedan's run a decent amount of negative camber, which will aid in high speed cornering. Negative is you'll wear the inside of the tire more while going straight. Any kind of toe will also contribute negatively to tire wear, but not sure if sports cars come with a toe out.

An alignment can help, and also you should rotate the tires, could really help prolong tire life with anything besides permanent AWD (such as FWD based AWD like MKZ).

An alignment can help, and also you should rotate the tires, could really help prolong tire life with anything besides permanent AWD (such as FWD based AWD like MKZ).

Even AWD cars can be "rotated" to the point of swapping the front tires with the rear. I do it with every oil change on my Edge.

Even AWD cars can be "rotated" to the point of swapping the front tires with the rear. I do it with every oil change on my Edge.

Sorry bad wording on my part, meant to say tire rotation has a lesser benefit when all 4 wheels are permanently driven - such as 4x4 mode on F150, subaru S-AWD, Audi quattro, Acura SH-AWD, Nissan ATTESA. But still reasonable to do.

Pretty sure the edge is the FWD until needed type AWD system. I think the only permanent AWD system Ford has is in the F-series 4x4 and older explorer/expedition. Permanent AWD is a fuel economy hit for sure.

Sorry bad wording on my part, meant to say tire rotation has a lesser benefit when all 4 wheels are permanently driven - such as 4x4 mode on F150, subaru S-AWD, Audi quattro, Acura SH-AWD, Nissan ATTESA. But still reasonable to do.

Pretty sure the edge is the FWD until needed type AWD system. I think the only permanent AWD system Ford has is in the F-series 4x4 and older explorer/expedition. Permanent AWD is a fuel economy hit for sure.

I understand what you're saying now.