2004 F-150

SNEEKY

Hello;

Well got the bad news, checked with a couple of dealers on changing the spark plugs.

Dealer #1 260.00 + 90.00 for each broken plug

Dealer #2 520.00 + 80.00 for each broken plug

First off why in the world is the price so different?

I have no problem paying a fair price for work being done.

My problem is that this is obviously a design flaw with the 2- piece spark plugs.

It's bad enough the price you have to pay for a new vehicle then have to get soaked every time you have some routine maintenance done.

It seems to me that ford should pay for any broken plugs being that it is a common problem.

I love my truck, but i will not write a blank check for some mechanic to decide how many plugs to break.

This could end up costing 1200.00 for a spark plug change.

That is just plain ridiculous.

Guess i will do like always and buy the tool and do it myself.

The company should step up and address this problem.

It is issues like this that has people saying they will never buy a ford.

THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT

SNEEKY

Guessing that dealer 2 probably does an induction/injection service to try and break up the carbon/junk that holds the plug shroud. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At the dealer I work at we get $289 + $50/ broken plug up to $200. Here, there is a local aftermarket chain that gets a thousand up front, if they break any they charge from there. Droppin a grand sounds like a lot, and it is, but remember that an 04 is 10 years old. Tires for the same rig are going to be that much or more.

Stack the deck in your favor and run some cleaner in the fuel and some GM Top Engine Cleaner through it as the instructions say on the can. Then hammer them out with a stout 3/8 inch impact wrench (not Harbor Freight) set on high and don't let off the throttle till it comes free. Hold it perfectly in line with the plug as angling it tends to break more. Then if any break, use the Lisle tool, making sure to blow out the hole with compressed air after each step and bottom the tool out as it is supposed to be. TORQUE the replacements to spec (24lb.ft) with nickel antisieze applied to the shroud but NOT the threads. Some guys try and remove them while still hot, but I have not seen a difference, other than the pain in the ass quotient goes up.

Thanks for the reply,I was wondering weather to try the ford procedure or the impact method.

I think i will try the way you posted, I was just worried about stripping the threads out with an impact.

Any comment on the champion one piece plugs or would you recomend the motorcraft?

Thanks again for your promt reply.

SNEEKY

• 6 months later...

I agree. Stick with the Motorcraft ones. Now that you are going to be putting them in and sticking with the new Ford procedures of adding the antisieze you should be good to go. I performed this with my '05 Screw and broke all four on the right side. I opted not to use the impact wrench. Thought it might be too aggressive. I bought the Lisle tool and it worked like a charm. Took me about two hours total. Found out that someone started to tackle the issue before me and only replaced the ones on the left. They are much easier to get to.

I would never use an impact gun on these engines plugs... That is asking to break a few if not all of them. Also increases the chance of stripping the thread on the engine. I have a 07 Screw that I replaced all 8 plugs without damaging or breaking one of them. Have done 3 others for friends and have yet to break one.

Items that help

Seafoam Carbon cleaner

OTC-6900 F-150 Spark plug socket

Torque Wrench

Permatex 77134 Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant

Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil Spray

Motorcraft SP-515 Plugs

First, buy a can of Sea Foam carbon cleaner. Put 6-8oz of it in you booster line. This way it goes straight to the cylinders. Once it is in turn off the engine and let the truck sit for about 15-20 minutes. Turn it on and run it around for a few blocks. It will blow most of the carbon out. So be careful as it can get very smokey. But it works great.

Second, Spray each plug with the Kano Oil and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Then set your torque wrench to 5-10lbs and try to loosen bolt 1/8 turn. Then spray again with Kano. Let this one sit for an hour if possible. Then they come right out.

Then just make sure you use the anti-seize on the new plugs and tighten to I believe 24lbs.

Just my thoughts and experience on these though