Solid new Review MKZ 07

Chief77

Must just be a good angle then.

Is this the SAME CAR?

07.lincoln.mkz.f34.500.jpg

2006lincolnluxurylg.jpg

Has anyone fired the jerk who photographed the original publicity stills yet?

AND the bigger jerk who let him photograph a beige one?

AND the STILL bigger jerk who released those pix?

I like the changes they made to the face, it brings out more detailing. In the Zephyr, you can't make-out the fog-lights so the car looks a little spartan. Surrounding it with some extra chrome detailing helps. I know it's a cheap tactic, but it looks great in a black car.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new grille, the new one looks better in some photographs than others. I liked the Zephyr's very clean and angular grille design. The new grille is more complicated and seems to elongate the snout by the simple illusion of greater depth.

Of course, the real meat is in the new drivetrain which should make the Zephyr a much more appealing option to the competition. Until now, the Zephyr didn't really offer anything better beyond bolder design. When you started the engine and got under way, the Zephyr revealed its shortcomings as a skin-deep luxury package. The new drivetrain should finally give us a well rounded entry-level luxury sedan.

IMHO, the biggest difference is the grille/headlights, but, as well, the area underneath the front bumper is entirely different. It's a big improvement, makes the car look more agile.

Agreed. It's very subtle, but it does make a big difference. If only the Navigator could get such a tasteful grille.

And it also doesn't hurt that the '07 is in the best Zephyr color, black. The Zephyr looks best in black or that nice dark blue. And I wish you could get a black interior with wood trim. I really think the alumnium look is getting played out. At least when it's schlocked over the entire center console.

Scott

...And I wish you could get a black interior with wood trim. I really think the alumnium look is getting played out. At least when it's schlocked over the entire center console.

Scott

One of the things I'd like to see is "easy-swap" interior trim - stocked in each dealer's customization boutique. It just doesn't make sense to me to (1) not offer as much choice as possible & (2) make something like a little piece of plas/metal/wood a factory-only option. Who would bother with an aftermarket stick-on with the dealer had an easy-swap real-deal?

Other things: "snap'n'lock" electronic thingies like HID's, Nav, maybe even audio upgrades - save the special-ordering/dealer-to-dealer-swaps for things like engine/tranny/paintcolor - just stuff truly beyond dealer modification.

^^That is a good idea, but I would not trust ANY dealer with such options .. plus like all other dealer options, they make it to the aftermarket ,and people try to install them themselves....

PS: I do not think HID's would make it .. they usualy have different lense from the halogen counterpart, and they are quite complex little thingies ... the ballast is under some quite high voltage.

Igor

Edited by igor

Exactly! Wheels should definitely be part of the 'boutique'. That's a thing I wish would rub-off on FML from Volvo... boy! do they seem to have a wheel-fetish :D I'd even like to see a tires-delete/wheels-delete option - just partner with TireRack... I guess some dealers do this but why not make it a feature for larger/interested/most dealers?

And is it really necessary for each model to have unique wheels? Can't an 18" from a D3 be made to have the same offset/etcetera as a CD3? ...or do they already??

(I believe one sign that Merc's out-of-the-woods will be when Ford buyers customize their rides by putting Merc wheels on 'em!... but with the Ford centercaps of course....

returning to the topic somewhat - I wonder if those MkS-concept wheels will fit anything else?)

Edited by 2b2

And is it really necessary for each model to have unique wheels? Can't an 18" from a D3 be made to have the same offset/etcetera as a CD3? ...or do they already??

(I believe one sign that Merc's out-of-the-woods will be when Ford buyers customize their rides by putting Merc wheels on 'em!... but with the Ford centercaps of course)

Mazda does this to some extent ... Mz3, 5, 6, Rx8 wheels are the sme offset/lug pattern etc.. and people swap them at will..

Not sure about Ford ... maybe CD3's wheels will be swappable.

PS: Tire/wheel delete is not an option - the car has to roll into the dealership - but there should be different factory options ofr wheel regardless of trim.

Igor

I tried to edit my way back on topic but your post beat me to it, Igor ;) oh well...

If a dealer had a customization boutique, could the car be delivered with stock for their optional wheels/tires? or would that amount of wear fudge the deal?

re-topicing-try#2: Wouldn't the MkZep look great with these?

inline_03.jpg