MT:'15 F150 Ecoboost vs. RAM Ecodiesel vs Silverado... Loses to RAM

Wait until the end of the year when the new F-150 is racking up. Ford is going go great lengths to ensure the replacement/bodywork costs are reduced by educating body shops and the fact that there are way more panels in the new trucks so if something does have to be replaced it's a much smaller panel than on the steel shelled trucks of the past.

While diesel engines are, generally speaking, more efficient, you have to realize that diesel fuel requires more feedstock to produce and is a more carbon dense product than gasoline.

A very efficient gas engine such as the 2.7L EB V6 is at or near parity in carbon output with the Dodge EcoDiesel, according to the EPA tests.

Am I a little cynical in thinking that MT preordained their Eco diesel winner and then worked backwards to justify the win? They have been almost telegraphing this result for the last six months...

The real fly in the ointment appears to be just how good the 2.7 EB is in the new F150. Sort of back handed praise that the tester thought he was driving the EB 3.5...and while Ram 1500 benefits from the ecodiesel's popularity, I think the 2.7 Ecoboost will reach far more F150 buyers than ever a diesel would and you could argue that Ecoboost is a much better balanced packaged for intended use than Ecodiesel which would be much more preferable in a work truck, not a retail based half ton

Big laugh for me is that MT really needs a controversial result to make itself stand out. If all of these trucks succeed in getting respective buyer groups in to the show rooms, then all will have succeeded in their jobs. For me the biggest "fail" but not so much, is GM prioritizing the 8-speed into 6.2 Silverado instead of the 5.3 where it would have greater penetration and real world effect for Chevrolet's half ton buyers .

And the scribes at MT still don't get (care about) the rationale behind significant weight loss and improving fuel economy across ALL versions of F150, not just one pin up like a diesel. That to me is why this result looks so preordained and superficial

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1