Interesting fact about CAFE (fuel economy) standards

Dave-S

I have always thought that the CAFE standards were based on what you see on a vehicle's window sticker. Not so as I have found out reading this article....http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...standards.html

In particular it is explained pretty well in this paragraph:

Q: Why are the CAFE mpg numbers so much higher than what's displayed on the carmaker's window sticker seen on a new car?

A: The short answer is that the window-sticker mpg and CAFE mpg are derived from separate tests.

Here's the full story: When CAFE was first put in place, CAFE mpg and window-sticker mpg were identical. The city-cycle lab test determined City mpg and the highway-cycle lab test determined Highway mpg. But almost from the start, consumers began complaining that their cars weren't matching the advertised mpg.

The window-sticker mpg was first "downrated" in 1985, with City mpg pegged 10 percent below the city-cycle test result and Highway mpg set 22 percent below the highway-cycle test result. When the 55-mph national speed limit was later abolished and states started raising speed limits, consumers then began complaining anew as the mpg they experienced fell even further below window-sticker predictions.

EPA introduced a second window-sticker downgrade in 2008, and this time it came with three new mpg tests. These accounted for higher speeds, cold weather and hot weather, plus the use of air-conditioning in the test for the first time. Today, there are five tests all contributing to the mpg you see displayed on a new car's official window sticker of pricing and fuel-efficiency.

CAFE results and accounting practices never changed to match the ratcheted-down window-sticker mpg figures, however. CAFE mpg still comes from the original pair of tests that are now widely viewed as bad predictors of real-world mpg. The 34.1 mpg CAFE target for 2016 is actually equal to only 26 mpg on a window sticker. The talked-about 2025 CAFE standard — usually described as 54.5 mpg — amounts to a figure of 36 mpg Combined on a window sticker.

But most people have no idea what the CAFE number is for their cars.

Then there is the matter of the window sticker numbers and the recent controversies surrounding supposedly overstated numbers by Hyundai, Ford, etc. I feel a consumer is still left in the dark by all of this.

What I meant was the mfrs are concerned with the CAFE number because that's their requirement. The window sticker number is arbitrary and only used for marketing.

The problem with window stickers isn't the test procedure or adjustments. The problem is trying to put a single number on a vehicle when in the real world that same vehicle could see a wide range of mpg depending on who drives it, how and where.

On the same commute my car could see anywhere from 15 mpg to 28 mpg depending on temp, ethanol content, driving style and traffic conditions. The EPA city rating is 22. But if you put 15-28 mpg city on the sticker it would be technically correct but useless.

All you can really say about the window sticker numbers is thats what you'll get if you drive EXACTLY like the EPA test under the exact same conditions.

What has changed with smaller turbo engines and hybrids is that the range has gotten larger than it used to be so there is more variance in the real world results. You can do a lot better but you can also do a lot worse.

But most people have no idea what the CAFE number is for their cars.

Then there is the matter of the window sticker numbers and the recent controversies surrounding supposedly overstated numbers by Hyundai, Ford, etc. I feel a consumer is still left in the dark by all of this.

And really what can one do to help moron consumers? Example being the woman in Ca who sued Honda becuase she was to stupid to get the whole "your mileage may vary concept". Hyundai was found to have improperly performed the tests = not good, overstated the results. Ford dropped the numbers (see akirby's marketing) - they were not found to have performed the tests incorrectly.

But the summary is still the same that it varies widly by the driver & the tests are NOT reflective of the technology currently in use. Gassers are usually pretty close as that's what the test is geared to. Hybrids often don't meet the results as the tests are measuring pipe emissions & calculating mpg during a test. Diesels routinely far exceed the sticker due to the calculations geared to gassers.

There's a member here who gets the hybrid mpg.........he has quite a bit of experience driving hybrids & it's also evident he's not a ham fisted pedal stomper.

How exactly do you make an estimate for a consumer that can't even begin to grasp all the things that impact mpg - ethanol %, temp, altitude, road conditions, gradient, tires, etc ..............all the way down to what you turn on inside the car during the drive.

What has changed with smaller turbo engines and hybrids is that the range has gotten larger than it used to be so there is more variance in the real world results. You can do a lot better but you can also do a lot worse...................................

All you can really say about the window sticker numbers is thats what you'll get if you drive EXACTLY like the EPA test under the exact same conditions.

Lol - yep, it's a guideline at best. You have to use your own experience as how your driving relates to the sticker.

Window sticker is right on the money with my car and driving habits. Couldn't be happier.

Well I think I'm going to sue Ford! The sticker says 26mpg avg..............I'm @ 25.73 lifetime - I've been screwed. :hysterical:

(but as pointed out my commute pretty much matches the guidelines)

Nope. Don't know and don't care.

Lol - reminds me of the folks that drive all over town for .05/gallon.........I always think "um, ah, for 12 gallons that's $.60" :) If it's so bad that it's impacting your life financially then move on to something that better fits your needs (if there is one).