2014 Edge Gas Mileage

olsen52

My Edge is now almost 2 months old and on the sticker it claims to get 18 miles per gallon for city driving and 21 for Highway driving. Well Im only getting 13 MPG after 1200 miles. I found this ridicuous bc this was a giant gap from the 18 that is advertised on the sticker. They told me at 1000 miles it would kick in. Well at 1000 miles it didnt kick in and I called and then they told me at 5000 miles it will kick in and get better. I find this ridiculous that in 2015 I have to wait all these driving miles to get better gas mileage that is clearly advertised on the tags. Is anyone else having these issues?

It's possible you have some kind of problem, but it's also possible your driving is to blame. Do you take a lot of short trips (< 5 miles?)?

You do understand that the EPA mpg is not a promise that you'll get that mileage. It just means that's what it gets on the EPA test.

Are you resetting the avg mpg with each fill up?

I see you're in the North East, can "winter fuel" be part of it?

Do you have remote start? Just a couple minutes of warm up kicks the crap out of my average.

Bet your mileage will be a lot closer in a couple months.

Winter is a horrible time to check your mileage.

My trips arent really that short and I drive like an Old Man im told lol so I dont think my driving is to blame I dont have a remote start or anything like that. In terms of winter gas im not really sure but why do explorers and my wifes pilot all get better gas milage? It just doesnt seem right to me?

You "may" have a problem. You may not.

1200 miles is not a a lot of miles. you're still in the break in period.

You can take it in and ask them to make sure your oxygen sensors, etc are working properly. That doesn't always set a check engine light.

Do you buy gas at the same station? Try changing that and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this elsewhere, but here is my response to another mpg inquire:

A 2013 SEL 3.5 FWD here, only had it for since end of December, so less than 3 months. In upstate NY, Buffalo/Rochester where it's been a nasty winter. I commute 100 miles round trip weekdays. I am averaging 23 mpg on that commute. I'd say about 1/3 state 2 lane highway, 1/3 interstate, and 1/3 village or city. Not very hilly. I check what the on board computer says & compare to actual to get the average 23. The computer is a bit optimistic, but not too bad. I have about 6500 miles on it now, so just sneaking up on Break-In. The mpg seems to be getting a bit better, but then again the snow is diminishing & it is gettin a bit warmer, both factors will have a positive impact. 300 mile road trips that are mainly interstate will give me around 26 or 27, and that's at 70mph. I am fairly conservative in terms of acceleration and overall agressiveness. (save that stuff for the scooters).

I am pleased with these results. I hope by 10,000 on the clock it will get maybe 1 or 2 mpg better, but even if not I am ok. I think I do better than EPA on the highway, but worse than EPA city. I am enjoying the ride an awful lot, just a couple bugs but nothing serious. No issues with MFT, and I like the nav as well. Let's put it this way: I'd recommend an Edge to anyone & I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

• 3 weeks later...