Dead Battery

I have a MY 13 MKZ purchased new in May 2013. I went to start it up this morning and the battery was completely dead. There was no life to the battery at all. My question is what could possibly drain the battery in 3 days. I drove it to work on Thursday and it sat all weekend. I’ve never had this happen before and the car has sat there for a week or more at times. I know for a fact that the dome light was not left on and the glove box was not left open.

Any ideas?

What could drain the battery in 3 days? Virtually anything. The battery itself could just be bad or any number of modules or switches could be malfunctioning. Get the battery checked with a modern load tester that checks cranking amps, not just voltage. The dealer should be able to check for any ongoing battery drain.

What could drain the battery in 3 days? Virtually anything. The battery itself could just be bad or any number of modules or switches could be malfunctioning. Get the battery checked with a modern load tester that checks cranking amps, not just voltage. The dealer should be able to check for any ongoing battery drain.

Thanks for your valued input.

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. We also have a 2013 MKZ, purchased in August 2013. I parked the car in the garage on a Wednesday, and left home for a vacation the next day, Thursday. I was gone 11 days. When I returned, the battery was completely dead. Had to jump start it a couple of times, using our other vehicle.

A few days later, I took the car in to the dealer to have this checked out. The battery tested out fine. There was a slight parasitic current drain (as is common on virtually every new high-tech vehicle today), but the dealer service man said it was well within specification.

The dealer did proceed to reprogram the body module, in accordance with a Technical Service Bulletin that had recently been released. The same morning that I took the car to the dealer, the decklid started to behave strangely (it would not close using the closure button located on the underside lip of the decklid). It would start to close, then reverse direction. The dealer technician was able to duplicate this malfunction.

Every since then, the car has worked flawlessly. No further problems at all.

Hope this helps out for you. Good luck!

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. We also have a 2013 MKZ, purchased in August 2013. I parked the car in the garage on a Wednesday, and left home for a vacation the next day, Thursday. I was gone 11 days. When I returned, the battery was completely dead. Had to jump start it a couple of times, using our other vehicle.

A few days later, I took the car in to the dealer to have this checked out. The battery tested out fine. There was a slight parasitic current drain (as is common on virtually every new high-tech vehicle today), but the dealer service man said it was well within specification.

The dealer did proceed to reprogram the body module, in accordance with a Technical Service Bulletin that had recently been released. The same morning that I took the car to the dealer, the decklid started to behave strangely (it would not close using the closure button located on the underside lip of the decklid). It would start to close, then reverse direction. The dealer technician was able to duplicate this malfunction.

Every since then, the car has worked flawlessly. No further problems at all.

Hope this helps out for you. Good luck!

Good information to know. I've got it on the battery charger today but it looks like I have a trip to the dealership that is imminent.